5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kit
I have been using home plugs for years to great effect and have had my eye on these for a little while now. The rear of my house suffers from a lack of Wi-Fi coverage, in no small part due to old stone walls and baby monitor etc. Having previously tried a Wi-Fi range extender with little success I came across these.

What struck me first about these is how small...
Published 10 months ago by Andrew

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable Wifi solution
Easy to setup and worked well for 90% of the time. But at least once per day these would grind to a halt for a random amount of time. Restarting the devices didn't solve this problem - just had to wait for the units to sort themselves out. Tried firmware upgrades etc. but still had this issue. Returned to Amazon for a refund as these proved unfit for purpose...
Published 1 month ago by Ash

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Peasy, 21 Aug 2013
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Booster/Extender with Two LAN Ports Kit (Wi-Fi Clone, No Configuration Required) (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this item as parts of our house just will not receive a signal, whether it be through the thick walls or through the oak floor boards.

Out of the box, I had the item connected within about 10 minutes, which included setting it all up on BT Broadband via my BT modem router. In use the signal is strong and due to the nature of the signal transfer through the electricity wiring in my house, I have been able to utilise the extender in a workroom about 20 metres from our house without any issues at all. Previously I had used a zyfi wireless extender (booster), with mixed results, particularly the fact that I continually seemed to lose the signal. This device is much much better and allows us to receive a constant signal in our workroom, but more importantly, it is significantly faster than that received from the wireless extender and almost as fast as that received directly from our BT modem router.

DOes it have any drawbacks? Not from my perspective. It was very easy to set up, the signal is secure; as you have to enter a password during configuration and personally I think that it is great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that easy to set up, 16 April 2014
I am a UPC Horizon broadband customer and anyone in a similar position will know whilst the broadband speeds are great, especially when connected via Ethernet, the quality of strength for Wi-Fi is pretty poor. I bought this extender to ensure I had decent wifi throughout the house and to have Ethernet access upstairs where I have a small home office. I have a MAC and that was my first problem. The kit comes with a 3 inch CD that you're supposed to load onto your PC/laptop, but for MAC disk drives, this doesn't work. I emailed customer support several times as I couldn't get the extenders to work and thought that they just plugged in and you pressed a few buttons and that was it. After a few days of far-too-technical email responses from Powerline, I gave up and phoned their hotline number. The call lasted about 15 minutes, during which time I discovered that MAC users need to log onto the Powerline website and manually download software in order to get these extenders to work. Another thing about UPC Horizon broadband is that the modems don't have a manual WPS button which you need to press in order to link the extenders to the main router. Customer support then talked me through a series of manual changes that I had to carry out on the extenders - via the newly downloaded software on my MAC - before the extenders started to respond. So, not exactly plug n play!!
The result? Wifi, in the same room as my Horizon broadband modem comes in at about 60MBS. Further down the house (it's a long house!!), I'm getting about 45MBS. Upstairs I'm getting a wifi speed of 45MBS and connected upstairs via Ethernet is coming in at about 55MBS, which is a significant drop on the 120MBS I get when connected directly to the modem via Ethernet. Still, at least it works and I have one wifi signal throughout the house. All I suggest, is that these extenders are not for technology-phobes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well when set up, but it's not easy, 24 April 2014
P Clark (England) - See all my reviews
It has taken me just over 7 hours to set this up, so the plug-and-play claim is certainly not valid. I could get both of the units to work, with each having a network name of something like "TP-X349DG" but I really wanted the same SSID (network name) and functionality of the existing network so that users and devices can roam around the house seamlessly (and that's exactly what TP-Link's advertising promises). It does come with a CD full of instructions (which I had to use an old laptop to view because it's one of those little mini CDs that the latest laptops with usb optical drives don't read) but they were next to useless.

I finally managed to use a different (third) laptop to get onto the web-based router configuration to change the SSID's and network password of both powerline devices. I found it's difficult to do much with the settings on a Windows 7 laptop, impossible via a wired PC, difficult on a brand new Macbook Air but I finally cracked it on an old Windows XP laptop!

This is certainly not a product that I'd recommend for anyone who doesn't have a pretty fair idea of networking AND several hours to spare to fiddle around with different configurations etc.

BUT.... having said all that, now it's up and running it's seamless, fast and each powerline adaptor gives an excellent range. The reason for my high score despite all the set-up problems is simply because it's so good once finally up and running. If you're not confident that you have the ability and patience (and it's the patience that is the most important; it took me 4 glasses of wine in those 7 hours to retain sufficient patience!) to get to that far, then it's going to be worthless buying this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, 24 Jun 2014
Was encouraged by reviews that said did NOT need to be on same ring main but concerned by those that said did need to be, as that seemed a major limiting factor. So thought would post review on my setup to encourage others. We wanted to extend our Wifi into our summer house at the bottom of the garden, as it was beyond the range of the house Wifi. The summer house is feed from the main fuse box (on its own MCB) then has a mini 'garage' fuse box in the summer house itself, so was concerned that this was effectively two circuits.

However, when received and set up (had to use manual setup for the wireless clone) and plugged into the summer, works really well, some loss of speed (main computer gets about 13 Mbps hardwired; summer house gets about 10 Mbps Wifi) but perfectly acceptable and better than no connection was getting before!

Only regret was the triple pack went on sale for 10 more than the twin pack on the day delivery came!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my problem, 19 Jun 2014
This is a brilliant and economical solution which I have used to fix no/weak wifi for two different members of my family.
In both cases the wireless broadband routers were located on upstairs floors. The wifi signal was too weak to allow my relatives to use their IPad downstairs.

My first relative has a WPS button on their broadband router which allowed me to clone the SSID and wifi password by pressing the clone button on the TP-Link wifi extender.

The second relative has a 4 year old Sky broadband router which does not have a WPS button. However I able to use a web browser to connect to the TP-Link extender and manually set the SSID and password to be the same as the router.

This is important as you don't have to set a new wifi connection on the iPad or laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - once you set up correctly, 17 Jun 2014
I've been hearing about quite a lot of people setting these up using the Plug 'n' Play method if you have a Virgin Superhub 2. I had big problems - setting up a wired connection really was as easy as pushing two buttons and watching the magic happen but cloning the wireless network just wouldn't work.

No matter how many times I tried to pair via WPS the Superhub wasn't having it. The WPS button would flash yellow for a while and then turn to red before turning off completely. This was happening when the Adapter was plugged in next to the router - so well within range. After lots of wrangling I found a solution, which is very simple once you know how:

1. Set your adapters up as it recommends in the paper manual and pair the wired connection
2. In the box your powerline adapters come in there is a TP-LINK Resource CD. Open this up and insert into laptop/computer
3. Hover over the relevant adaptor graphic and click 'management utility'
4. You'll be prompted to login and the details are usually 'admin' and 'admin' for username and password
5. Click on the 'wireless' tab on the left and in the box 'SSID' write exactly the SSID for the 2G network that's written on the bottom of your Superhub. Ignore the prompt to restart adapter
6. Click on 'wireless security' tab and type the same password in here as is on your Superhub
7. Click 'restart' when prompted

And voila that should be you connected to the adapter if you were having problems. You can now unplug the large adapter and put wherever you need it in your house.

Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 12 Jun 2014
When the system is working it is good but fir some reason it has to be reset on a regular basis which is not so good

5.0 out of 5 stars Broadband to an outbuilding 50m from the house, 7 Jun 2014
SJT (Southern England) - See all my reviews
Great piece of kit. Instructions are ambiguous and cover many items you don't get in this set but really all you need to know is: Plug the small one directly into the mains (not an extension lead) near your router and connect it using the grey cable. During set up plug the other one into the mains near by (but not connected to the router). Press the button on the front of the small one and underneath the big one to connect them. Give it a minute to securely pair up. Press the WPS button on the router then the button on the front of the big one (it looks like part of the light). That makes it part of your WiFi network. Unplug the big one and move it to where you need the broadband. Plug it in, give it a minute and you're sorted. Same network name and password as your router so you don't need to do anything else.
Mine runs across 3 distribution boards to get to its final destination. The instructions just say it has to be on the same electric meter. I was watching iPlayer with no problems inside an hour (most of that spent trying to get my head round the pictures!).
I am genuinely surprised how good it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars broadband extender, 27 April 2014
Pain in the neck to set up. Instructions terrible. Certainly no plug and play!
The boxes work fine but do not clone the existing password.
Do not buy this if you want one password. We have know 3 different passwords which we have to connect to in different parts of the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 23 April 2014
This was so easy to set up and it was actually plug and play with no need to mess about with any settings etc. My internet upstairs is now working well with strong signals.

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›