5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product but confusing setup instructions
Published 9 months ago by P. Nobleza

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Frustrating Time Waster
Published 7 months ago by Alan Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product but confusing setup instructions, 14 Oct. 2014
P. Nobleza (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Fantastic product! The whole downstairs of my flat was a WiFi dead zone but this Powerline adapter & WiFi extender kit now graces the whole flat with Internet! Merely having a WiFi connection downstairs is a joy, but I can also achieve download speeds and a ping that is as good as a direct connection to the router! The only niggle is that because I've cloned the router to the extender, it occasionally loses connection when I move from upstairs to downstairs. Simply turning off and on WiFi on the device when I've moved downstairs resolves this.

As mentioned by others, the instructions are confusing mainly because you're supplied with separate instructions for the Powerline adapter (AV200) and the WiFi extender (TL-WPA281). I followed Dancing Bob's steps on here (5 Aug 2014) and I got it working first time:

1. Plug the WiFi extender (TL-WPA281) to a mains socket
2. Press the WPS button on the broadband router
3. Press the Clone button on the WiFi extender
4. Wait for WiFi clone LED light on the WiFi extender to - blink slowly, then all lights solid, then WiFi clone light to blink quickly
5. Wait for WPS scan/connection to complete on broadband router
6. Plug the Powerline adapter (AV200) to a LAN port on broadband router using an Ethernet cable
7. Plug the Powerline adapter to a mains socket
8. Press the Pair button on the Powerline adapter and the Pair button on the WiFi extender
9. Relocate the WiFi extender to another mains socket in the building that suffers from WiFi dead zone

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kit, 18 Aug. 2013
Tech 2.0 "impulsive gadget buyer" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop) (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using home plugs for years to great effect and have had my eye on these for a little while now. The rear of my house suffers from a lack of Wi-Fi coverage, in no small part due to old stone walls and baby monitor etc. Having previously tried a Wi-Fi range extender with little success I came across these.

What struck me first about these is how small they are compared to some of the ones I have had in the past. I was particularly keen to try them as they pipe a strong signal to where it's needed and then create a new or cloned Wi-Fi hotspot, thus not suffering the same issues repeaters do
Installation was simplicity itself. I plugged the small nano unit in and connected it to my Virgin Superhub. I then plugged in the Wi-Fi unit at the rear of my property. Powered on the connected instantly. I then pushed the Wi-Fi clone button and then the WPS button on the Superhub and after about a minute I was up and running. I now have a flawless signal all around my home, garden and even in my garage. As I sue dthe Wi-Fi clone option my devices all move seamless around as if it were one network. Great for streaming movies to my iPad whilst I have a soak in the tub.

Now where these take it a step further is that in the Wi-Fi homeplug there is also 2 ethernet ports as opposed to the usual one. This is great as not only can I benefit from wireless but I can also supply a cabled connection to at least two devices. I find that with a cabled connection, my speeds aren't much worst off than when connected direct to the router. I use them for gaming, linking my xbox downstairs to my router upstairs and pings/latency etc are spot on.

A word of caution. Homeplugs/powerline adaptors etc can be a bit picky. Recommendation is that they are kept on the same ring main and not used in extension sockets, especially ones that are surge protected. In practical use I have not encountered any problems myself. I have used them in extension sockets (surge protected ones) and not experienced any problems.
Overall this is a fantastic bit of kit that works for me perfectly and it is to me the perfect solution to extend your Wi-Fi to areas not covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEVERMIND THE B@LLOCKS!, 17 July 2014
Graham W. Skillin (GLESGAE) - See all my reviews
Ignore the instructions and do the following:

Plug in the smaller adapter, attach via ethernet cable to your router

Plug in the larger adapter in its desired location

Press the pair button on the front of the smaller device

Press the pair button on the underside of the larger device

(this is where the WPS stuff would normally go, i tried that 5 or 6 times, each with a device reset on the larger device but to no avail)

insert the mini-cdrom into a computer, click the larger device icon as it appears (there are only 2 in front of you on the program which autoruns) This will now show you the IP address for your WIFI Tp-link device. Mine was 192.168.1.124 (yours might be different to this)

Login is "admin" username and password

Type this IP address into your browser on the computer, under 'Wireless settings' change the network name to your existing network SSID name,and the channel (if you know it, if not change it to any number, thats not 1 as this is the auto), thats the one that it broadcasts to all your devices just now.

Then under 'Wireless security', simply change the hexadecimal password (PSK password it is labelled as), which on mine was all numbers, to that of the same as your EXISTING Wifi network.

It will ask you to reboot the device, via the browser screen. Do so.

and VOILA! it will now be a clone of your wifi.

I was using a skyhub, the newer black one, and the WPS just wouldnt clone (I think its because it times off before the full 60seconds are up as this was what was required on the tp-link manuals)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Frustrating Time Waster, 3 Dec. 2014
Had similar problems to some others. None of the 3 connection options worked successfully - it would not plug and play, would not pair and would not clone successfully with either Mac or android tablet (that seems to be a particularly common problem). Spent countless hours trying all the possible wireless settings, and though the light indicators sometimes showed that the units had paired or cloned, actual connectivity never occurred. Very frustrating piece of kit that seems to either work well out of the box or cause endless difficulties. Really needs to go back as I've spent far too much time on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 30 Mar. 2015
When my brother bought his first TP-LINK product it was the first time I had got amazing speeds in my bedroom due to being quite far away from the router. It was a TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless Cable Router-N150 and it worked absolute wonders, an amazing piece of tech and it kept me happy for quite a while. Fast forward a few months and my brother moves out, and he leaves the router thank god. But then a month or two later the router started playing up. So I contacted TP-Link and asked if there was a product I could review and a few days later I received this. Before I start, this is an unbiased review, I've been told to say nothing to make TP-LINK look great.

I received through the post and I was really excited to get it up and running. The packaging looked great, a lot of information with pictures of the adapters. Opening it up and the adapters were right in front of me in all their glory, pulling out the adapters I was greeted by an instruction manual and not one but two ethernet cables which I was really, really pleased about! They are 2M in length so it's fine for reaching my computer.

I opened up the instruction manual and began setting up the powerline. We already had an ethernet cable trailing through to the room below me so I plugged it straight into the adapter and plugged it into plug socket. I pressed the button and plugged the other one and got them both paired. It took 2 or 3 tries due to not reading the manual carefully enough but after I did it was easy enough. Once they were all paired I ran up to my bedroom, plugged the adapter into the wall and plugged the ethernet cable into my computer, bam all done! I checked my speeds and they were perfect.

Let's talk about the speeds doing stuff.

Gaming is very good, I don't get any lag spikes whatsoever and my ping is really low. No random disconnects so this is a must for any gamer that needs a boost for the internet for gaming.

Downloading is superb, torrenting I get around 3mb/s depending on the time of day (due to my ISP throttling P2P) but I download it pretty quick. Downloading from websites is really fast, excellent speeds.

Streaming is awesome. I've recently got into streaming and this is just what I needed. Streaming from my Nexus 7 to my Xbox One using this piece of kit is absolutely fantastic, no buffering or random cut offs. Everything is crystal clear.

All in all, TP-LINK haven't ever disappointed me with products. They are a fantastic company and they get everything right. These adapters are great and I've loved using them and writing up this review. I'd recommend this for anyone who needs to boost their internet strength. These are not just point-to-point adapters that only plug into one device. They're essentially a clone of your router that you can connect multiple devices to.

Great job TP-LINK!

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work so returned it and bought a Devolo, 8 April 2014
This product generally got good reviews, so I ordered it and simply could not get it to work, even after several tries of trying to follow the the less-than-precise directions. The only customer service help I could find was through an e-mail, supposedly answered within 24 hours and I have not yet, days later, received a response. Full credit to the Amazon system which made the return and refund process as easy as possible. I both a Devolo, much more expensive and it worked perfectly, first time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Setup far from smooth, 3 July 2014
A. ap Rhisiart (Argyll, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm giving this a three chiefly because of the frustrating setup. 'no configuration' it isn't. 'Push a couple of buttons and you are done', nope. Took two hours. However, once up and running it seems to work pretty well.

So what happened? There are two sets of 'quick installation' instructions with the kit, which is a little confusing. Spending some time, it became clear that one set was only about setting up a wired connection, the other for wired and wireless. The whole point for me was to extend the wireless network, so I took that one, but not after first doing the other one. I plugged the small adaptor into the wall socket near the router, plugged the ethernet cable between the two, went upstairs and plugged the larger (wi-fi extender) box into a socket upstairs. I got the impression that it would pair up automatically, and perhaps it would, but in fact I did the 2-second button press on both anyway, and they paired just fine. So far, a five star effort.

Next, read the other quick installation guide, where it says to plug the wi-fi extender close to the wi-fi router, press the WPS button on the router for 2 seconds, then the button on the front of the extender (not the little pairing button underneath) for 2 seconds, and watch the pretty lights. I watched the demo on youtube, but it never did what the youtube video showed, the lights just never did that, it did the fast flashing straight away, not slow flashing for twenty seconds, then a little fandango and finally fast flashing. I tried this multiple times, and also did the reset (little hole underneath) and tried again. Nothing. It always showed as a separate wi-fi network called 'TP-Link...', which I couldn't log into. It definitely wasn't copying the SSID and password from the router.

Check the PDF manual online. You don't get this manual with the device, nor a reference to it, I think. You do get a cd-rom, but it is one of the mini ones that only work with tray-loading dvd drives, so useless. OK, so I learn that the extender has a web interface. It says if you are connected wirelessly you can go to http://tplinkplclogin.net but I couldn't connect via wireless. I plugged in my Macbook Pro over ethernet, but that address didn't work. I noted that it gave me an IP address of 192.168.1.67 so I tried entering 192.168.1.1 in the browser, and got a password dialog. Entered 'admin' for both and got in. In there, I set the SSID and password manually to match my router, rebooted, and no it worked!

Now it is up I like it, but I can imagine a lot of people getting very frustrated setting it up.

UPDATE: I was finding that although my Macbook pro and all the iPads could connect easily to the router as before, my iPhone would not even see the network, but if I took it upstairs would connect happily to the extender. Also, the Mac upstairs (which is more or less equidistant between the router and the extender) would keep dropping its connection. A family member's Dell would not see the network at all and had to use ethernet. This was with them sharing SSID and channel to make a seamless wifi zone. So I made the channels different, channel 1 on the extender and channel 11 on the router itself (still sharing same SSID and password), and now it all works fine, everything can connect everywhere. I searched on the web for info about channel settings, but it was ambiguous.

2.0 out of 5 stars 10/100 ethernet ports will give low speeds, 25 Jan. 2015
I have a 240Mbps down and 24Mbps up broadband connection at home. In the room where I tend to work I tend to get less than 40-30Mbps and even lower when there's channel interference on the wifi spectrum. So I bought these to ensure I would get a steady reliable speed when working from home.
It turned out that on these powerline adapters I was getting very low speeds, I tried all sorts of configurations and the highest speed I ever got out of it was about 50-45Mbps, and this was when connecting them together on the same socket. After investigating further it turns out that the ethernet ports on these adapters are only 10/100 and not gigabit. So I have returned them back to amazon.
If your internet connection is 50Mbps or less then these are right for you, but if you have faster speeds than that then you don't want these as they'll actually make things slower.
I have bought myself the AV600 TL-PA6010KIT which is meant to be better. Read on review on it of a guy with an experience just like mine and on those he is getting consistent 100-120Mbps which is more acceptable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good wired but unusable wireless connection, 13 July 2014
I bought the TL-WPA4220KIT to increase my wireless access in an upstairs bedroom. I connected the TL-PA4010 unit to a mains socket downstairs and to my router via an ethernet cable. I then connected one of the TL-WPA4220 units to the mains in the bedroom. I tested the internet access by connecting a laptop via ethernet cable to the TL-WPA4420 (ensuring that the laptop's Wi-Fi was disabled) and ran a speed test via speedtest.net. I got very good speeds of 75 Mbps down and 16 Mbps up. That is brilliant as that is about the same speed I get via an ethernet cable connected to my router. (My ISP is BT and I subscribe to its Infinity 2 internet service.) I then tested the internet access via the wireless signal from the TL-WPA4220 unit using the same laptop with the ethernet cable disconnected and Wi-Fi turned on and connected to the specific SSID broadcast by the TL-WPA4420 unit. Unfortunately, the wireless connection was sporadic at best. Occasionally it was as fast as the wired connection but usually it was very slow at about 5 Mbps down and <1 Mbps up. This meant that at best I could only get internet access to text-based sites; access to video content such as YouTube worked very poorly and usually not at all. I tried using different wireless channels on the TL-WPA4220 unit but changing the channels made no difference. I tried different laptops and a tablet and the results were the same. I also tried using the other TL-WPA4220 unit that came with the TL-WPA4220KIT and the results were equally poor with regard to wireless.

Given that the TL-WPA4220 provided me with excellent wired internet access, I then connected an old Wi-Fi router of mine to the TL-WPA4220 via an ethernet cable, turning the router into a dedicated wireless access point (having disabled DHCP in the old router). I now have excellent wireless internet access in the bedroom by virtue of my old router connected via ethernet cable to the TL-PA4220. I reliably get 35 Mbps down and 19 Mbps up. This workaround is not ideal but, in my view, most powerline adaptors that double as a wireless access point do so rather poorly. Maybe it’s the small size of the adaptor that limits their wireless capabilities; I don't know.

Thus the TL-WPA4220KIT, in my hands, provided excellent remote wired internet access but unusable wireless internet access. I am keeping mine because I have found a workaround that I can live with. But I would not recommend buying this for its wireless capabilities as you are likely to be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took ONLY 2 Minutes to set Up! Maintains 85% of Original Speed through old circuitry! Much Cheaper than Devolo! Same Results!!, 26 May 2015
Unfortunately for me the Wifi has always been at the opposite end of the house to where my bedroom is located, so have never been able to get wifi there or anywhere else that side of the house before.

I have tried other ways to get round this before such as a USB wifi dongle that I dangled out of the window, then I also tried to set up an old belkin router we had which was more hassle than it was worth, then as we changed to sky they gave us a free "Booster" That bounced the wifi, however only got 3mbps instead of 16mbps and kept dropping out and had very low signal range and pretty useless and only copied the original router name so devices could never decide which one to choose to get wifi from and there was no way of manually selecting which access point to be connected to!

I then saw at someone else house a "devolo" power line wifi extender that used the electricity circuit to send the boosted wifi through solid metal instead of air, giving the same speed as the original router and was amazed! I then looked it up and saw how expensive it was! (£65 at the time) then then had a bit more of a research and saw the TP-Link £30 less!! (£35 at time).

I instantly bought it and it arrived next day as usual with my prime. Plugged it all in and it was all set up within 2 minutes!! Our house circuitry is quite complex with multiple fuse boxes and circuits all over the place and I was worried it would not work, however I was not disappointed and the speed stays constantly around 13-14mbps out of a possible 16mbps which is great!! It transmits a great distance and is a separate access point with its own encryption password, so we can manually choose which access point to connect to depending on where we are sitting instead of devices getting confused trying to decide for themselves in cross over locations! Massive Positive for me there. The option to also get more extended points is great if out buildings in the future need to be connected up so it has longevity and being able to transmit 300mbps means its future proof.

Overall it does the same job as the Devolo for almost half the price, and has not let me down yet. If you are struggling to get signal, don't hesitate to buy it and try it for yourself.