5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kit
I have been using home plugs for years to great effect and have had my eye on these for a little while now. The rear of my house suffers from a lack of Wi-Fi coverage, in no small part due to old stone walls and baby monitor etc. Having previously tried a Wi-Fi range extender with little success I came across these.

What struck me first about these is how small...
Published 11 months ago by Andrew

3.0 out of 5 stars Setup far from smooth
I'm giving this a three chiefly because of the frustrating setup. 'no configuration' it isn't. 'Push a couple of buttons and you are done', nope. Took two hours. However, once up and running it seems to work pretty well.

Published 18 days ago by A. ap Rhisiart

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic kit, 18 Aug 2013
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Booster/Extender with Two LAN Ports Kit (Wi-Fi Clone, No Configuration Required) (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

What struck me first about these is how small they are compared to some of the ones I have had in the past. I was particularly keen to try them as they pipe a strong signal to where it's needed and then create a new or cloned Wi-Fi hotspot, thus not suffering the same issues repeaters do
Installation was simplicity itself. I plugged the small nano unit in and connected it to my Virgin Superhub. I then plugged in the Wi-Fi unit at the rear of my property. Powered on the connected instantly. I then pushed the Wi-Fi clone button and then the WPS button on the Superhub and after about a minute I was up and running. I now have a flawless signal all around my home, garden and even in my garage. As I sue dthe Wi-Fi clone option my devices all move seamless around as if it were one network. Great for streaming movies to my iPad whilst I have a soak in the tub.

Now where these take it a step further is that in the Wi-Fi homeplug there is also 2 ethernet ports as opposed to the usual one. This is great as not only can I benefit from wireless but I can also supply a cabled connection to at least two devices. I find that with a cabled connection, my speeds aren't much worst off than when connected direct to the router. I use them for gaming, linking my xbox downstairs to my router upstairs and pings/latency etc are spot on.

A word of caution. Homeplugs/powerline adaptors etc can be a bit picky. Recommendation is that they are kept on the same ring main and not used in extension sockets, especially ones that are surge protected. In practical use I have not encountered any problems myself. I have used them in extension sockets (surge protected ones) and not experienced any problems.
Overall this is a fantastic bit of kit that works for me perfectly and it is to me the perfect solution to extend your Wi-Fi to areas not covered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Setup far from smooth, 3 July 2014
A. ap Rhisiart (Argyll, Scotland) - See all my reviews

So what happened? There are two sets of 'quick installation' instructions with the kit, which is a little confusing. Spending some time, it became clear that one set was only about setting up a wired connection, the other for wired and wireless. The whole point for me was to extend the wireless network, so I took that one, but not after first doing the other one. I plugged the small adaptor into the wall socket near the router, plugged the ethernet cable between the two, went upstairs and plugged the larger (wi-fi extender) box into a socket upstairs. I got the impression that it would pair up automatically, and perhaps it would, but in fact I did the 2-second button press on both anyway, and they paired just fine. So far, a five star effort.

Next, read the other quick installation guide, where it says to plug the wi-fi extender close to the wi-fi router, press the WPS button on the router for 2 seconds, then the button on the front of the extender (not the little pairing button underneath) for 2 seconds, and watch the pretty lights. I watched the demo on youtube, but it never did what the youtube video showed, the lights just never did that, it did the fast flashing straight away, not slow flashing for twenty seconds, then a little fandango and finally fast flashing. I tried this multiple times, and also did the reset (little hole underneath) and tried again. Nothing. It always showed as a separate wi-fi network called 'TP-Link...', which I couldn't log into. It definitely wasn't copying the SSID and password from the router.

Check the PDF manual online. You don't get this manual with the device, nor a reference to it, I think. You do get a cd-rom, but it is one of the mini ones that only work with tray-loading dvd drives, so useless. OK, so I learn that the extender has a web interface. It says if you are connected wirelessly you can go to http://tplinkplclogin.net but I couldn't connect via wireless. I plugged in my Macbook Pro over ethernet, but that address didn't work. I noted that it gave me an IP address of 192.168.1.67 so I tried entering 192.168.1.1 in the browser, and got a password dialog. Entered 'admin' for both and got in. In there, I set the SSID and password manually to match my router, rebooted, and no it worked!

Now it is up I like it, but I can imagine a lot of people getting very frustrated setting it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it but only because I'm a geek, 12 Mar 2014
Packaging - excellent. Instructions - well... with patience, tolerable. Not for the faint-hearted non-techie John Does.

The main marketing point of this product seems to be the plug-and-play capability, which seems to work only partially.

The powerline pairing works just fine - managed to pair the powerline module and three wifi extenders within a few minutes.

I couldn't get the Wi-Fi autopairing work with three different NetGear Wi-Fi routers (all three support WPS button connection).

Once I found the IP address of the device, I was able to log in and set up the Wi-Fi parameters within minutes. I love the fact that the device reboots super fast (unlike traditional APs, that take several minutes to restart).

Network speed via powerline will not be the advertised 500MBps, but somewhere around 200-300. I am connecting through about 10m of powerline, on the same circuit breaker.

Wi-Fi speed varies but signal is reliable ~10m outside the house (brick walls) at 72MBps (extender and target device were both in "n" mode).

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable Wifi solution, 22 May 2014
Easy to setup and worked well for 90% of the time. But at least once per day these would grind to a halt for a random amount of time. Restarting the devices didn't solve this problem - just had to wait for the units to sort themselves out. Tried firmware upgrades etc. but still had this issue. Returned to Amazon for a refund as these proved unfit for purpose. Replaced with Devolo dLAN 500 Wifi Starter kit, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C5IA4TW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, these have been 100% reliable so far and do not have the degradation in speed issue of the TP-Link kit. Great whilst they are working, very poor when they failed, which was too often.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good option for extending wireless, 25 Sep 2013
Flyboy (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Set up of the TL-WPA4220KIT was astonishingly easy. The instructions, however, were simple to the point of being incredulous and it took a couple of reads to convince me that what was detailed really was all that was needed to do. They do need a bit if a rewrite as they are pretty poor, lack clarity and don't fill you with confidence. Having said that the WPS facility on my BT router worked with the extender within the 20 seconds stipulated, cloning the wireless network onto the wireless extender (once I'd deciphered the instructions to figure out which was an adaptor and which was an extender and what they did!), which gave near seamless transition from my router to the extender with no discernible able lack of performance from my albeit dreadful broadband speed. Cloning the SSID and password, put simply, fools your devices to thinking that they are talking to the same router. Devices just hop between the router and the extender with no need for user input whatsoever. Brilliant!

The box contained the adaptor (which pushes the broadband signal from your existing router into the house's power circuit) the wireless extender (which takes the signal from the power circuit and acts as a wireless repeater node) and 2 Ethernet cables. The extender has 2 Ethernet (LAN) sockets should you not wish to use wireless. It also had a cd, which I didn't use and very simple instructions covering setting up on an existing network or starting a whole new one. Both adaptor and extender were well designed and discreet and I particularly like the power saving facility that they come pre installed with. Extenders can be "paired" allowing 128-bit encryption between any 2 powerline devices, but if you can figure out more than that from the user guide then you are doing better than me. We have a private network so I am more relaxed about security and therefore didn't use pairing.

Just one other thing to look out for- you can only get this kit to work on the same domestic power circuit. If you have a couple of circuits (normally apparent if you have 2 separately located fuse boxes) then obviously there may be an air gap between the two through which no data can travel. Not a common problem, but worth considering if you can't get the adaptor and the extender to talk to each other and have exhausted all other options.

In summary this is highly recommended as a plug and play solution to domestic wireless range extension, which in my case fixed the issues that I have with rooms shrouded in wifi-blocking aluminium sandwich insulation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when you get it to work, 29 Mar 2014
Budgie (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
Bought the WPA281 kit hoping it would be plug and play, and would sort out my lack of a strong Wi-Fi signal in my kitchen. Bought the unit through one of Amazons sellers, Kikatek based on their wording "Brand new stock" hoping it would be the latest version with the updated casing and only one Ethernet connector. The kit turned up and it was still the original, older model, but hey never mind.
Tried to clone as per the instruction manual but created a new network rather than cloning my existing one. I have a BrightBox router from EE, and was then left with 2 networks, named BrightBox and TP-Link. After having read up about the problem I went into the routers settings online and found that the WPS was disabled. I was pressing the WPS button, following the instructions but the router was not allowing the extender to join or clone the existing network, and therefore created its own. Having enabled the WPS in the routers online settings I tried the cloning process again, and it worked straight away, deleting the TP-Link network and extended my BrightBox signal. I then disabled the WPS setting again to help protect my set-up from further intrusion. My iPhone now connects anywhere in the house to my "BrightBox" network and switches from extender to router, depending on where the strongest signal comes from without losing connection. Well pleased now, I appreciate it was not TP-Links instructions fault, as it was really up to me to get the WPS enabled, I hope you can understand what I have tried to explain, and that it may save someone from wasting time if they have a similar problem. Pleased with the units now that it is working,

4.0 out of 5 stars 200/500Mbps through a 100Mbps socket....?!, 23 Jun 2014
R J (London, England) - See all my reviews
Ordered these Thursday and they arrived on the following Monday, been trying to find something like these for some time so was very glad when I come across them. I just have one problem....

The AV500 (TL-WPA4220KIT) states a speed of 500Mbps through the wired connection.
The AV200 (TL-WPA281KIT) states a speed of 200Mbps through the wired connection

HOWEVER, both of them have 10/100Mbps connectors on them (as per the TP-Link website), so surely the fastest speed you would EVER get is 100Mbps?!?!?! Please do correct me if i'm wrong.....

Still very good devices, that work VERY well, hence the 4/5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link WPA4220KIT AV500 Homeplug, 24 April 2014
D. Noades "Dave_N" (London) - See all my reviews
This kit was relatively easy to set up using the supplied utility and worked satisfactorily for a period of time.....

However, my set-up involves a relatively long length of armoured cable from my house to a garden studio and it would seem that this particular kit struggled to cope with the length of run / number of connections within my household wiring / interference and after a while the link was periodically dropping out.

Resetting everything seemed to get it working for a while, but eventually the two units refused to recognise each other's presence any more, even when I plugged them into sockets which were physically close to one another.

On contacting the supplier, they tried to give me the contact details for the manufacturer, but these were helpfully (!) obliterated by the Amazon blocking system - great!

Eventually got hold of the manufacturer who advised returning just one of the units for replacement - I knew this would achieve absolutely nothing as the new unit would still not be able to connect with the other unit!

I had recently read that Solwise made a unit (the PL600AV) that utilises a higher-end chip set that is much more resilient to interference and multiple connection losses, so I decided to cut my losses with the TP-Link set up and go with this instead. This has been very stable now for over a month, with consistent connection rates of 70 - 80Mbps over this rather difficult link.

So by all means go with the TP-Link solution if you have a relatively clean mains set-up, but if you think you have something more tricky, I would strongly suggest going with Solwise instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work so returned it and bought a Devolo, 8 April 2014
This product generally got good reviews, so I ordered it and simply could not get it to work, even after several tries of trying to follow the the less-than-precise directions. The only customer service help I could find was through an e-mail, supposedly answered within 24 hours and I have not yet, days later, received a response. Full credit to the Amazon system which made the return and refund process as easy as possible. I both a Devolo, much more expensive and it worked perfectly, first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like TP-Link, 2 Sep 2013
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've got a lot of TP-Link product in my house. They're easy to setup and they all seem to work.

What I like about this set, in particular, is that it's got TWO ETHERNET ports on one of the plugs. That's really handy behind my TV and has freed up a scarce socket.

A hint: there are two buttons on the bigger plug; the one on the front extends the wifi; the one on the bottom syncs up the devices; don't confuse the two. I did this and wasted a lot of time ...

update, january 2014: I've now tried the wi-fi extender and I found that when it was turned on my wifi printer started having problems connecting to the wifi. I reset the device and it worked again. TP-Link sell a product with 2 ethernet ports, which doesn't have the wi-fi extender and, for my purposes, I think that would be a better choice.