5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have if you want to learn how to use a spindle!
Published on 31 Mar. 2010 by Vera Peiffer Consignment

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Not that helpful
Nicely presented but for me personally, not enough detail about the actual technique ((especially drafting) compared with information about the different type of spindles.
Published on 28 Dec. 2012 by Mrs Margaret F

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have if you want to learn how to use a spindle!, 31 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
I went to a craft fair and became interested in spinning wool with a hand spindle. Someone showed me how to do it, but it's not as easy as it looks! I asked for a book that could help me, and Respect The Spindle was recommended to me as the best book on the market. I went home and ordered the book from Amazon, and I can only say that this book has been very very helpful. Not only is the book packed with lots of photographs of different types of spindles and spinning wheels, but it also demonstrates very clearly in words and pictures how to use the various spindles, with lots of tips and tricks of how to get good results. This book has been a great help in choosing the right type of hand spindle for me and also to understand how to use it correctly.
I cannot recommend the book highly enough - it really is a 'must have' if you are interested in spinning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to spin using a spindle, 4 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
Spinning on a spindle is thousands of years old. It has its origins in the mists of time and was how our ancestors produced thread for the first garments and blankets made by mankind. The spindle predates the spinning wheel and any other technology invented in the last 2000 years.
However there is one other reason that working with a spindle has made a huge difference in my life. Learning to spin on a spindle has provided me with enhanced mobility due to the sedate movements required in order to form yarn. The physiotherapy I have got has been tremendous. My shoulders now have more movement than they have had in years.
The movements involved in using a spindle to make yarn, look very much like Ti Chi. The added benefit to this light form of exercise and rhythmic movement is yarn as a bi-product to use for your knitting, crochet and weaving.
The author uses numerous photos to demonstrate the technique to using a spindle and how to then ply your yarn ready for final use in garment production. This author has a number of Youtube videos demonstrating how to use a spindle. Within the spinning and crafting community this book represents a real solution to a gap in the market that has frustrated would be spindlers for a number of years who wish to learn but didn't have access to a wonderful book like this before.
The author learned to spin as a child aged five and her wealth of experience at spinning shows in her teaching technique.
It's well worth buying this book if you wish to learn this ancient technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well explained and interesting, 8 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
This is a very thorough introduction to the techniques of the drop spindle. There is just enough history and cultural commentary to keep the reader interested and perhaps spark a quest for more information. The meat of the book however is a step by step (chapter by chapter) introduction to spindles, including how to choose different spindles and different techniques for different fibres and finished yarns. Each of the major principles, such as drafting and plying are concisely explained and illustrated with photographs. Potential problems are addressed as they are likely to occur, not before, so as not to discourage you; and not buried at the end of the book so that you have to flick back and forth. There is also a useful chapter on the storage, care and repair of spindles. The three free knitting/crochet patterns at the end of the book showcase three very different yarns that can be created using a drop spindle.

I also purchased the video of the same name from the publisher which really aided my understanding of this book - not essential, but valuable if you can get both together. Overall the tone of both are very encouraging, very clear and beautifully presented.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book - very informative for the beginner, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
I was silly enough to go to a knitting and fibre fair back in February and was taken by the hand spinning people. I'm now hooked! I bought the book because I had bought a spindle and some wool at the fair and just had a go and made some rope thick strands! I then looked on the net and tried again and got a better finish. I then wanted to see what else I needed to know about in order to make a better and varying thread. This is where this book comes into its own. It goes through everything in an informative and interesting way and doesn't wizz straight onto spinning wheels. I dont want a wheel, I want to be able to spin in the garden, at festivals, in the kitchen and whilst watching TV. This book tells you everything you need to know and I really enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, 5 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
This was one of two books I bought about drop spindling. This was by far the best of the two. The author is obviously very enthusiastic about this craft and is very talented having learnt to spin as a young girl in the Peruvian Andes. A much more informed book than others, one I can thoroughly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready to spin...., 21 Mar. 2011
S. darnbrough (North Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
I have the book, I'm waiting for the spindles to arrive - then I'm good to go! This is a good book, and well recommended in the spinning community. Although I have no idea what I am doing, after reading this book cover to cover I am ready to give it ago, knowing that I have a great reference book to refer to when things go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Respect the spindle, 9 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
This is a great book for the beginner to spinning good text and easy to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
Happened across video of spinning with a spindle, this book is a brilliant starter point. Instructions are clear and the author's enthusiasm for spinning is infectious. I recommend this book for anyone who wants to start spinning with a drop spindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for learning the how, when, where, what and even the physics of spindle spinning., 20 May 2014
Lizzie Burgess (North Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
I wanted to learn to hand-spin, but have no interest in a wheel - I already have a machine I can sit at and treadle, my sewing machine - and wanted a portable craft to complement my intermittent interest in knitting and the local availability of bits of raw fleece.

After teaching myself the basics of spindle spinning by a process of trial and error - mainly the latter, resulting in lumpy yarn, cord-like yarn, breaking yarn, and a couple of broken spindles - I realised further advice was desperately needed if I were to produce usable yarn on a consistent basis..

Every hand-spinning book I looked at gave only the briefest mention of spindles, with the implication that they're scarcely worth bothering about, that they are toys for children, not serious tools and that the serious spinner will, of course, want to spend £100s on a wheel ... then I found Respect the Spindle.

This book arrived this morning and is everything I hoped for and more. It is a fascinating and wide-ranging book, containing everything from how to start spinning to the physics of twist, via comprehensive trouble-shooting, international spindles, various types of fibre, the history of spinning and more. It is beautifully illustrated and contains a great deal to interest anyone who likes yarn, textiles, history or practical mechanics.

All in all, a book which I know I will refer to again and again, for both pleasure and assistance.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book for High and Low Whorling, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Respect The Spindle (Paperback)
This book is a very in depth manual on spindle spinning covering both the history and methods of spinning. It covers both high and low whorls from all over the world. I have not started spindle spinning yet so have not put the instructions into practice yet but it is only a matter of time. I certainly enjoyed reading the book from cover to cover and deciding which of the many spindles to choose.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›