5.0 out of 5 stars surpassed my expectations
Published on 26 April 2012 by Cheryl

3.0 out of 5 stars Well set out
A well set out book. It just isn't for me, sadly. I waited and waited to buy this (I try to pace myself) I used Birthday money. It's well organised. The quilts are nice; but it just left me feeling sad! I wish I had spent my money on something else. I'm not really sure who it's aimed at. I'm a crafter, sewer, newish to quilting. I have lots of other more inspiring...
Published 17 months ago by jopsy

5.0 out of 5 stars surpassed my expectations, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday and I just wanted to write and say how impressed with it I am. I've been quilting for about 10 years now, 8 or so in what you might call art quilting so none of the techniques were completely new to me. But the fresh, new way they were presented had all sorts of ideas coming into my head ( I had to remind myself of all the WIPs and promised pieces I had to finish before I could indulge in too much play). The clear instructions and diagrams and the warm and encouraging tone of the writing will mean that everyone from relative beginners to 'old hands' will feel enabled to have a go and expand their repertoire. I have to confess that often I get excited to see a new quilting book coming out and when it arrives I am a bit disappointed. This book surpassed my expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better on second read, 8 May 2012
J. Griffin (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
I was disappointed on the first read of this book, but picked it up for a second read and my opinion changed greatly.
I really liked the approach to techniques and have been inspired to make the fiesta quilt. I followed the instructions in the book, but think my wall hanging is smaller than the picture in the book - fewer lines in my centre block. The quilt has come out beautifully and I will now make city lights.
The instructions are clear and concise, the construction diagrams are perhaps slightly too lightly shaded and require concentration.
The only reason I have given four stars is I like books with spiral binding to sit open beside my sewing machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it 10 stars, 18 April 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
I'm sure this is going to be one of your favourite quilting books, it is one of my favourites. It's modern, stylish, sophisticated and chic. The blurb says 'break free, go bold' and that's exactly what you'll be doing with these ideas for improvisational quilting. Great photographs and step by step instructions plus fresh, stunning designs that will get you thinking outside the box. You'll learn seven techniques and you'll be able to practise them on the projects. If you are interested in contemporary or art quilts, this is a must. I would happily recommend this to anyone and everyone. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, very different , a twist on the traditional., 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
I'm a quilter and know little about 'modern quilting' as yet but I saw Jacquie Gering on 'The Quilt Show' and was very taken with her work and techniques. I was particularly impresssed that she had inspired a group of quilters in the area where the episode was filmed to throw her a surprise tea party. They had all made place settings inspired by her book for the occasion. It was just their way of saying thank you for the book. Tells you something, doesn't it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
To me, this is my ideal modern quilt book!!! It has amazing photography, packing the book with pages upon pages of stunning inspirational projects of a wonderful mixed variety!!!
I love the layout of this book, it's been so well thought out during the design process. The typography is funky, yet the the instructional print/font is fresh, and easy to read.
I love the layout of the instructional pictures, they too are brilliantly presented, clear, simplistic making the projects feel manageable and not overly complicated, which many books can accidentally do. I love the balance of colour of the projects and the layout colour in general inside this book which makes it look so professional, it leaps above the heads of other quilting books available at the moment.
This is a substantial book in size, 174 pages. I have not yet read it all, cover to cover as there is so much information to take in. This is a contemporary style quilt book only.
This book covers :-
Tools and materials
Quilting basics
Colour and design
Finishing touches
Free piecing techniques and projects
Log cabin improvisation, techniques and projects
Slicing and insert techniques and projects
Stitch and flip triangles techniques and projects
Strip piecing techniques and projects
Crazy piecing modern style method and projects
Stitching improvisational curves techniques and projects,
Resources section.

An excellent resource for inspirational quilters and a wonderful gift for a quilter or special friend.
ENJOY, inspire and create :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
Love it. I bought a few books on sinilar topuics at pretty much the same time, this is one of my favourites. Good ==

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
good service and good book. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... explain here method of quilting I thought it was amazing and had to have her it did not disappoint, 26 Jun 2014
Janice (Kidderminster, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
I watched Jacqui on Craftsy explain here method of quilting I thought it was amazing and had to have her it did not disappoint. I just love her ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes with the course on Craftsy, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Quilting Modern: Techniques and Projects for Improvisational Quilts (Kindle Edition)
Great book to dive into to get ideas and also the lady that wrote it has a course on craftsy doing the same modern designs its great

5.0 out of 5 stars Quilting Modern ( Book), 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Quilting Modern (Paperback)
I really like the new modern way of making quilts.
There is lots of interesting techniques and new designs.
i would recommend this book to anyone who would like a change in designs.
Very pleased with it.