4.0 out of 5 stars Man of Steel
Published 13 months ago by Jenny, Wondrous Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book but a frustrating number of mistakes
I've just finished reading Greg Cox's novelisation of MAN OF STEEL and while I enjoyed the book there were many sentences with missing or repeated words which was frustrating.

Published 13 months ago by RICHARD HAWES

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book but a frustrating number of mistakes, 17 July 2013

There is an example of this every few pages in an otherwise well edited book. For example on page 308 there is a line that reads "There was a lot of work of work to do,". This was really annoying.

I also thought it was unfair that the author of this book doesn't get his name on the spine and in only small print on the cover. The aforementioned issues aside he wrote a very engaging book.

Although I have one more gripe. He misspelled Kryptonian on page 219. The n was dropped. He or the proof readers should have picked that up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Man of Steel, 7 July 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Man of Steel is a great novelisation of my favourite film of the year so far. It's fast-paced and exciting, and includes lots more detail, thoughts and explanations than the film does. This is why I love film and TV tie-in novels so much; they're like a bonus round in a video game, full of extra juicy bits that you don't see on the screen. While this particular novel appears slightly rushed and has quite a lot of missing words and grammatical errors, Greg Cox has once again delivered a highly enjoyable novelisation that is sure to satisfy fans of Superman.

Throughout this novel there are deleted film scenes and some unused dialogue that were obviously cut from the script quite late on. One of these scenes shows a baby Clark at the doctors, having his hearing tested. He screams and all the glass in the nearly Smallville street shatters, leaving the doctor and Martha and Jonathan Kent wondering just who, and what, Clark really is. It's a nice little scene, but I can see why it was cut: it's more of the same and wasn't needed once the audience had already seen how superhuman Clark is. It's nice to have it presented here, though, and it's an added extra for dedicated fans. There are a few instances of different dialogue too, and again it's fun to see how the final screenplay changed and got to where it is now.

Even though I've seen the film quite a few times, I still had questions about certain aspects of the plot. For the most part they're all answered here, with Cox giving a greater understanding of Krypton's current state at the start of the story as well as more of an insight into Jor-El and Zod's thoughts. Which brings me to one of my favourite parts of this book: Jor-El's thoughts! I've found myself becoming increasingly fascinated with this new Krypton and I loved getting to know Jor-El more, through his personal thoughts and feelings. I now like this incarnation of his character even more, which I didn't think was possible!

Greg Cox writes with a very easy, accessible style, making his tie-in novels suitable for almost any age. He shows a deep understanding of what he's writing about, a love for it, and another fantastic example of that is his novelisation of The Dark Knight Rises that was published in 2012. He's certainly one of the best tie-in novelists out there, and I'm glad he took up the task of bringing the Man of Steel to the page. It can't be easy to write under pressure and mounting deadlines - especially when dealing with something so important as a movie screenplay - and aside from the rushed errors I mentioned earlier and some incorrect descriptive detail, Man of Steel is a worthy addition to my tie-in library!

Obviously this book won't appeal to everyone, but if you've seen the film and enjoyed it, then I'd highly recommend you give it a read. The extra scenes, dialogue and thought processes are worth the purchase price alone, and who doesn't want to spend a few extra enjoyable hours with Superman?! I'll be re-reading this for sure, as it's going to be quite a long wait for the Blu-ray release. This book should tide me over until then, I hope!

4.0 out of 5 stars A new take on Superman. Book review not the film, 2 July 2013
K. G. A. Alavi (London, England) - See all my reviews
I agree with the title "Man of steel" because his strength and invulnerability were his main powers in the book. Yes they did make talk about his super-hearing and X-ray vision, but most were about how physically strong and durable he is.

The story the Kryptonians in this version are not quite the great enlightened civilisation they are on other Superman stories, in this they take a more Gattaca [DVD] [1998] approach to their society. People are born through genetic manipulation to the career their bloodline (family) has been designated. Kal El is the first natural born Kryptonian in centuries it sounds like. Kryptonian technology seems to be a very advanced version of bit technology. Jor El and Zod seem to have a Xavier and Magneto type relationship. From close friends to bitter enemies. They both agree with the unfairness of their culture but have radically different approaches to changing it. Zod is the more violent approach Jor El is the more slowly changing society from within hence the natural birth of his son. He also discovers the planet Krypton is going to be destroyed.

Now the familiar story of Jor El pleads with the council of elders to let him evacuate the planet; at this point Zod launches his rebellion, now time has run out he does manage to create one ship for his son to be taken from the planet to Earth. I like that fact that Clark's strength comes from that fact that his birth planet's gravity is a lot stronger than Earth's.

Clark's childhood seems to be one learning experience after another, I think the take that using his powers even to help people just makes him more of an outsider. Clark then spends his adult life traveling the world in disguise to try and find out about himself. Using his powers to help people them moving on till he finds information about possible alien spaceships buried in the ice caps. Here he finds some of his answers. I also like that fact that he has to learn to use his powers especially flight. This he uses as his main advantage when fighting bigger better trained Kryptonians.

I did like the book but I think especially the battle scenes needed more description, from what I read I kept visualising Dragonball Z type fights, especially the main bout between Superman and Zod. I am also a little confused about how secret Superman's identity is one person definitely knows, but the military still seem to be in the dark despite obvious clues. All in all a good book, but I was not blown away by it I hope the effects in the film make up the extra wow factor.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Novelisation, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelisation (Kindle Edition)
I liked the novelisation more than the film itself as this really probes more into the world of Man of Steel and the history of Krypton. It also shows how Krypton's destruction is much closer to the original comic strips in cause than the previous movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars great account of the superhero's journey, 20 Sep 2013
very satisfying read with great visualisation

a must for fans of sci-fi ADVENTURE on the brink - a compelling and enjoyable read

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 Sep 2013
Even better than the film itself,and that was a great film! Gives the reader the insight into more of the storyline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written novel, could have used a spellcheck, 26 Aug 2013
Morten Hillebert Bay (Struer, Denmark) - See all my reviews
The novelization, initially felt like a complete retread of the source movie. However, as the plot unfolds you get familiar with many characters' points of view, and the writing improves.
You get important characterisation on key scenes, actually improving on the movie in some spots.
The novel also helped clear up/ retcon a few of the things I initially disliked about the movie.
The novel does however suffer from some lacking language skills, that could have easily been corrected by an spell-checker. General errors of note include double usage of wording, article missing, article unnecessary and a few cases of words missing a single letter. This however, does not subtract from the story, if only from the novel's otherwise substantial pull.
Well worth reading for any fan of the movie, as well as for the doubting soul.
All will be explained!

5.0 out of 5 stars Man of Steel, 12 Aug 2013
Enjoyed reading the book so much I read it over a couple of days. Have been a dc fan since the middle 50's. This had a different slant to the earlier films that have been released but an enjoyable one.
I am now looking forward to seeing the film.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so super!, 28 July 2013
I know a lot of people really liked this novelization of the 'Man of steel' film. Sadly, I am not one of them. Gave up about 20 pages in as I was unable to connect with the writing style. Nothing wrong with it. Just not for me. That's 2 out of 2 books from the new film that failed (for me) to live up to the expectation. Oh hum!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing adaptation, 26 July 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There's quite a few times when I get the chance to sit back and read a book for a film that I'd not only love to see but had saved up the finances for an epic trip out. So avoiding all the hype, the trailers and other peoples points of view I sat back to embark on what I was hoping was going to be an epic new era for the Man of Steel.

What unfurled within the book was a story that was disappointing, the reader never really got to grips with Clark or the other people within relying on peoples past associations of what has gone before to fill in the blanks. The storyline was quite weak and to be blunt you could tell from start to finish that it was purely an action movie as that was what most of the descriptions within were. Sadly this felt rather flat and I suspect it will work a lot better in a visual medium than it did within these pages. A great disappointment.