5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and captivating, more please!
Stumbling through Amazon recommendations brought this disc to my attention and I'm delighted to have discovered it. If you are musically omnivorous and hungry then feast !
Published 12 months ago by DR CLIVE E BOWMAN

Published 10 months ago by Michael Wadge

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting versions of well known pieces by Arvo Part and other composers by a virtuoso Japanese Percussionist ., 18 Oct 2013
Michael Wadge (Bristol England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cantus (Audio CD)
I find this a difficult CD to review. Kuniko produces some extraordinary sounds on the marimba by multi tracking on Arvo Part's Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten, which is one of my favourite Part pieces. As the Times' reviewer described her recording, the music sounds as if he was inside Niagara Falls, tumbling in exquisite slow motion. I cannot think of a more apt description. Although the other Part works are somewhat less dramatically recorded, they are also enjoyable, especially one of his best known pieces, Spiegel im Spiegel, where she uses both her marimba and bells. I also quite enjoyed Steve Reich's New York Counterpoint, which I understand was originally written for multiple clarinets, although it is rather repetitive. However, the remaining work, Pure Ground, by the British composer, Hywel Davies, completely perplexed me. Although the music lasted for over 11 minutes, nothing very much ever seemed to happen, apart from some weird sounds largely emanating from the lower reaches of the modern 5 octave marimba.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and captivating, more please!, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Cantus (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggering, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Cantus (MP3 Download)
I first heard about 30 seconds of one of the tracks on radio 3's classical chart and bought the album immediately. I have other versions of some of this material but these arrangements are both unusual and beguiling. I have played the album end to end several times and it is a really outstanding album in my view. Definitely one of those albums for headphones or a quiet time with absolutely no interruption- these pieces reward careful listening. The Benjamin Britten and Spiegel im Spiegel pieces are absolutely mesmerising.

An album to listen to carefully and without prejudice.

Tremendous value for the mp3 download and I wonder what the Cd would sound like through top end hifi....wow

Cantus