4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful but slippery in beginning
Published 9 months ago by Lia

2.0 out of 5 stars The most slippery mat EVER
The density of the mat is very nice and the size is perfect, but i have to admit that i am disapointed by the fact that this mat is the most slippery yoga mat i have ever used. i am doing ashtanga yoga and as soon as my hands get a bit wet or my feet, i just slide. i have to use one of those 10 dollars sticky mat on top of it. Ironic....

i googled the issue...
Published on 5 Jan 2011 by MR V COLLIN LANGE

2.0 out of 5 stars The most slippery mat EVER, 5 Jan 2011
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)

i googled the issue on the internet and on amazon and realized that i was not the only one complaining about this. Then i found out that buyers are adviced by Manduka to "break-down" their mats. Wash it, salt it, wash it, put vinegar on it, wash it and then expose it to the sun for 3 hours (i live in Iceland, we are in winter, there is no sun and only night....)

When i buy a product, i expect it to function properly. I do not think that i should spend time and money trying to fix their product.
Have the Manduka people tested the mat?

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful but slippery in beginning, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)
I was enticed by the life time guaranty offered by Manduka(and I also like frogs which happens to be their logo). The mat is sturdy and you don't sink into it like with most mats. It does not slip up off the floor when practicing. At first it was slippery when you start sweating which was disappointing. I used BABYPOWDER on my hands in the beggining and this helped alot. no slip! Since I live in Sweden and it is winter, there is no possibility to do the salt scrub and leave it in the sun. After about 3weeks of daily practice it is no longer slippery and I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mat! The Wide version is even better!, 12 Mar 2013
After struggling with a soft(budget) yoga mat for a few years, I decided to upgrade to a high end one that would provide me with a better practice surface. I decided to get the extra wide for greater comfort (and a little extra warmth on studio floor). It's proved to be fantastic! So much better than my previous mat, even though it's a little thinner. It provides just enough cushion and superior grip (no worries of 'sliding' past your comfort zone while in a pose).
I regret not getting it sooner! Even though my first mat wasn't the cheapest and was an 'extra thick' one, the Manduka is far superior in quality!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sticky, sturdy and feels a great quality, 7 Dec 2013
Jo Bunker (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)
I picked this mat after much thinking, as I needed a manageable weight/size mat to take to classes as well as use at home. The Prolite iis actually longer, thicker and heavier than my old mat so I am very glad I went with the "lite" version, instead of the original mat, as I think that one would have been too heavy! The very first obvious plus is that the Prolite gives a very sturdy base to support poses, as well as a very sticky grip. I can now hold down dog with confidence for the first time ever, and my hands just stay where they should. It feels lovely in my thoracic spine. I read several reviews about it being slippery, or needing to salt wash a new mat to get it sticky, and so was prepared for that, but I haven't needed to. It was plenty grippy from day one. The only negative is that it rolls up bulkier than my old mat by about an inch in circumference, and weighs a bit more, but I can still easily take it to yoga class. It feels of superb quality. I think it will last for years, so am confident it was worth the hefty (for me) investment cost. My partner has now bought one as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Manduka pro is the best, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)
Very nice but need to practice a lot on it to make it better. Very beautiful colours. The pre treatment with salt is mandatory!

5.0 out of 5 stars After wearing in I love it, 1 Jun 2013
MISS (Croydon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)
The wider mat is lovely, there was some frustration initially with slipperiness when using the mat but was expecting this after reading other reviews. However if you can be patient and rise above the frustration of sliding hands in downward dog you will be rewarded by a well made, and tough mat. Wearing it in has in the end only taken a month of regular use and my mat and I are now very happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing mat!, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)
I'd heard about the greatness of Manduka mats and I needed to try it! Especially in this awesome pink colour (embrace), wakes me up every morning!
Anyway, first three-four uses it's a bit slippery (like any other mat) and as they say, it becomes less slippery with use. After 3-4 uses I NEVER SLIP.

Really happy with my purchase!

1.0 out of 5 stars Inferior and slippery, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)
Expensive and disappointing. Too slippery to use. I've gone back to my cheap £7 mat. Have tried wiping over with a wet cloth but still unusable

5.0 out of 5 stars The one and only, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)
If you regularly practice any form of yoga (especially Bikram or Hatha), Pilates and so on and are after a top quality and "future proofed" mat, then a Manduka really is the one and only choice.

I wasn't very "au fait" with yoga mats when I asked for a mat on Amazon that was made by 66 Fit, for my birthday last year.

That mat was decent enough, but I was going to Hatha yoga quite regulalry near my home in Leeds and it wasn't the grippiest when it got sweat on it.

Fortunately the teacher at my Tuesday lunchtime Ashtanga classes recommended the PROlite mat just before Xmas.

When I had a quick try on it and found that it was nigh on impossible to slip on it, I knew this purchase had to be made, especially as I was going to start off 2014 by going to around 40 hot yoga classes in January and February alone!

I went for the PROlite, on account of it being less bulky than the Pro version.

I was after a mat that was easily portable as I combined this purchase with a the fantastic Manduka GO Stead mat and kit carrier which I've also just reviewed.

This is lighter the Pro but far from "lightweight"...you really can feel the build quality when practising on it.

While it might be a fair bit cheaper than then Pro, it still maintains Manduka's lifetime guarantee, big tick in the future proofed box there then.

I must now respond to some of the more short sighted reviews about these mats being slippery when you first get them...

Can only assume that these people did not read the information that came with the mat, because it actually recommends treating the mat before you first use it by lightly rubbing salt into the mat with a tiny bit of water.

It also states that this is because because the manufacturing of these top qulaity mats naturally leaves a slight film layer on the surface (or words to that effect).

It is a very much a sign of the build quality / production process, that this layer of film that is on the mat to start off with and it stands to reason therefore that the mat naturally needs to be "bedded in" a wee bit.

And even allowing for this layer of film, I only moved ever so slightly (far less than I did with the 66 Fit mat) in Trikonasana (with sweat on the mat) in the first 2 or 3 Hatha classes i did on it, having done the salt and water treatment.

Since then, it's been rock solid.

Some people like a good moan though don't they? :-)

In summary, if you want to pay a bit more up front for a mat, to take away the need to have to replace it every few months, get a Manduka, it's a total no brainer.

You will not be disappointed and you will end up saving money in the long term, compared to buying mutlple mats without lifetime guarnatees!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this Yoga Mat, 13 Oct 2013
Yogini (Leawood, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat (Sports)
it sticks to the ground, doesn't slip around. Solid and well cushioned for my knees. This is the best Yoga mat I have ever bought... and I have bought many. A little heavier than most mats but well worth it. LOVE IT !

Manduka prolite mat, Indulge