5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boook with many real world case studies, 14 Dec 2008
Dr. Thomas Voegel (UK) - See all my reviews
This book gives an excellent introduction why and how to build or buy an observatory.

It starts with the description and discussion of pros and cons of various types of equipment (mounts, telescopes and imaging).

The basic concepts for amateur observatories are explained and illustrated by many pictures.

Finally a comprehensive section with many real world examples inspires to build an own observatory.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOL .... What an absorbing book, 9 Sep 2010
Leon Crawley (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I find it a pain setting up / dismantling my scopes on a nightly basis, time is short, I don't want to waste it doing that, hence the interest in this book.

I have read other bits about home made observatories in other books, but this gem is by far the most comprehensive, I definitely recommend this.

One incidental thing about this book, it is great to leave laying around to 'prime' a partner that there is change about to take place in the garden!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it before you start building, 10 Feb 2014
P. STEVENS (Kent) - See all my reviews
The book is a very good read, with plenty of ideas, well written, and I feel easy for a beginner to follow. I am pleased that I bought it and even though I have been an observer for over fifty years now I still picked up useful info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Observatory construction, 2 Dec 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this book because I was thinking of building my own observatory in my back garden. I found that it provided a number of options that were discussed in sufficient details to be adopted or rejected according to your circumstances. I went on to build my own set-up and the knowledge I found within this book was definately helpful. As such it did what I expected and I would recommend it to anyone carrying out similar projects.

4.0 out of 5 stars Setting up a small observatory, 18 Dec 2012
Having returned to astronomy after many years of absence I decided that the above would be amongst my list of up to date literature, together with the Cambridge Star Atlas and The Backyard Astromoners Guide, all from Amazon of course. My first thoughts on reading "Setting up a small observatory" gave me the impression that it would be better not to bother, as virtually all observatories have some problem or other, be it the cost of and access to a dome or the collecting of moisture in roll off roof and shed designs. However, once informed of the pitfalls I was compelled to think of ways to overcome them, and in so doing tailor an individual solution to my own requirements. For me it looks like a slightly raised deck with the assembled tripod and mount permanently in position, and covered when not in use by a close fitting, pyramid shaped ventilated wooden case which will be lifted off whem wanting to observe. It is then a simple of matter to fit the optical tube assembly to the mount and you're reaady to go.

This is an excellent book for anyone considering several options at an optimum cost. My only criticism was the black and white photographs which, though excellent in detail, in some cases could have done to have been of better quality.