4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Lee Child
Book # 17.5 in the Jack Reacher series

Published 1 month ago by Toni Osborne

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 19 Dec. 2013
This review is from: High Heat: (A Jack Reacher Novella) (Kindle Single) (Jack Reacher Short Stories Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I suppose, with Reacher pushing 50, it was inevitable that Mr Child would start dipping into his past again, although I never expected he would go back so far. I suppose we must accept that Reacher would have been very different from other kids as a teenager, although I did find it surprising that he was quite as mature, intellectually, as he's portrayed here. Having said that, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility, given his upbringing and the way his mind works as an adult. This was a clever and interesting little glimpse into his past and an event which shaped him into the man we know now, and although it has it's faults, I am such a devotee that I can't bring myself to dislike it (even though I still haven't forgiven Mr Child for Tom Cruise!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Lee Child, 17 Feb. 2015
Book # 17.5 in the Jack Reacher series

This novella brings us one more facet of Jack Reacher’s younger years. In “High Heat” Jack is 16 years old and as a teenager is acting way beyond his age, at 6’2” he is fully grown up physically and has already developed the speech, sarcasm, tactics, logic and comments well known in his later years. This book is definitely a marketing tool used as filler till the next installment.

Set In 1977, Jack on his way to visit his brother at West Point takes a side trip to New York City during the time a man gunman known as “Son of Sam” is on the loose. Once there he meets during one of his escapade an alluring young woman in distress. Summer brings extreme heat and soon the power grid is knocked off kilter, lights go out and we have the inevitable city in chaos…In the meantime our two hot blood teenagers do what all teenagers do when they are too close…..and wherever Reacher is peace is just a dream and soon these two manage to step on someone toes and all hell break loose and of course Jack does what Jack does best and we have entertainment lasting till the very end.

This novel is a classic Lee Child with lots of action, sparse but clever descriptions and something fun to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Work, 14 Jun. 2014
I have read a few Jack Reacher novels and find them easy to read and entertaining, although a bit beyond belief. This one was different, due to the main character's young age (a schoolboy); it was totally beyond belief and I would not have bothered finishing it except for its shortness!

4.0 out of 5 stars Jack Reacher, 17 Nov. 2013
Good short story to get in the mood for the next instalment. definitely the best one out of the three short stories. Worth purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Jack, 21 Mar. 2014
Only a short story but I find anything to do with our Jack must be read. I was certainly not dissapointed with this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Child verses Chuck, 13 Aug. 2013
Jakeisthecoolest "Jake" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I decided to download two kindle singles today, both by authors I was familiar with but had not read previously, Lee Child is clearly one, the other Chuck Palahniuk. Both very popular, both very different. Now obviously, unless you live under a rock you, like me you will have been aware of the fanfare surrounding Jack Reacher's move to the big screen. Now again I have not seen this film, but I was keen to check out Reacher.
So here I am with a short story about a young Reacher, which I recognise is not the Reacher that has proven so popular with readers over the years, but a good place to start I felt.
Firstly, I loved the fact it is set against real life events of the time, the backdrop of the New York blackouts in this case, and to a point I quite liked the Son of Sam References. The story is also solidly written and has a style that clearly suits the character, in that it is big, bold and obvious, military writing if you will.
The two main problems were the plot, which seemed to be lifted straight from one of those 80s movies where a kid sneaks out into the city and gets mixed up with bumbling gangster types, or loses his dad's Ferrari, while all the while trying to impress the girl (think Adventures in Babysitting or License to Drive). However, instead of an insecure, slightly dweeby but likeable young lad, we have hulking 6 foot 5 man-boy with all the physicality of the terminator, swagger and charm of Bond and the investigative skills of Sherlock Holmes, and all at the tender age of 16. Sorry Lee, I'm not buying it. It is too ludicrous for words.
Now I was going to give this 3 stars as, while its not my cup of tea, I'm sure fans of the series will lap up any addition to the extended Reacher universe, but then I read Chuck Palahniuk's 'Phoenix'...so I'm afraid it is just the two.

5.0 out of 5 stars A request to the author., 6 Aug. 2013
More and more the shades are lifted on the dark room that is Reacher's history. Though I wonder now, after so long with him, is he starting to lose his mystique? Originally it was the questions about his Army career, the hints of his past life, that kept me coming back for more. But like a stripper who peels off too much and loses the essence of the dance, so Child is in danger of losing the mystery of this great hero. And becoming just like all the others? I hope not. The man we want to be and the man women want. Just please don't turn Reacher into a cash cow, Lee. You gave us this great character. Lose the circus and give us the hero we (and you) deserve. Warts and all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as ever, 23 July 2014
Brilliant- so much in such concise and gripping style. Brilliant as ever. I am lucky that my son advised me to avoid the J R movie as Tom Cruise and J R just don't fit. At least I then heard Mr Child on the all important Steve Write show (BBC Radio Worldwide) cleverly side step the criticism of the ludicrous (self financed) casting of Cruise as Reacher--by saying--

'Well I hope the movies will be a series and there will be a number of different actors taking the opportunity to play Jack.'
Well done and thank you Mr Child-- that made my year and I await the next movie and choice of actor with interest.

In the meantime these little 'novellas' build brilliantly on the characterisations you have already created.
Keep up the good work.
I think Mr Reacher needs to travel internationally a little.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not One of His Best...., 12 Aug. 2013
Not sure if every Lee Child release is written with the woefully inadequate Tom Cruise in mind but this had more holes and lazy turns than 'The Affair'.

Still love the Jack Reacher character in the books but have to try really, REALLY hard to get 'little Tom' out of my mind as Jack Reacher doing the Mission Improbable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Kicks, 12 Oct. 2014
I've only just begun on the Reacher journey and in an attempt to read in order as Jack ages, this is the second stop (after Second Son when Jack was 13) I've gone back to the start after randomly reading some of the Reacher novels.

I didn't get into this as much as the other Reacher books. I really loved Second son, but I don't think this story worked as well, the 17 year old Jack was a well drawn character but the other characters felt wooden and I think Child tries to cram way too much into what is after all - A Single.