It occurred to me recently that I tend to tense up when I have to pass near a group of young men on the street, particularly if they're shouting, or seem drunk. And as a middle-aged man, I'm virtually invisible to them. It then struck me quite forcibly how much worse it must be if you're someone they might actually notice. That is, a woman.

One of my female...
Published 6 months ago by T. Pieraccini

3.0 out of 5 stars Read and understood, but not confirmed
Whilst a worthwhile read for a 99p download, I found this a challenging book to fully digest. The content is heavily bulked out by the quotes included and some of the points made seem somewhat laboured, overlapping and repetitive. I started to skim some of the paragraphs in later chapters first before reading in detail for new information and points that hadn’t been...
Published 4 months ago by Paul Dyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read the reviews - read the book (and no, the irony of this title for a review is not lost on me...), 4 May 2014
T. Pieraccini (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Kindle Edition)

One of my female friends was followed to her front door a fortnight ago. Fortunately nothing happened bar a vague threat, but she was understandably shaken. I have only recently come to realise how much incidents like this are part of everyday life for women.

Sexism in society is apparently a contentious topic. I was not surprised to see some one-star ratings for this book. I was slightly surprised that they came seemingly from literate and intelligent people. I was taken aback to see at least two of them came from women. I was frankly staggered at what they seemed to take away after reading this superb and necessary book.

I have followed the Everyday Sexism project on Twitter for a long time, and I did wonder if much of this book would be familiar. It was, but that didn't prevent my jaw dropping every page or two in disbelief (accompanied often by an audible exclamation). The experiences describe here comprise everyday reality for women, but as a white male the picture still shocks me when I'm faced with it. Looking at the critical reviews, I find it really difficult to believe that anyone could read to the end of this book and claim that Laura Bates is simply 'whining' or that it represents 'a collection of many anecdotes that would make a child laugh'. Laugh? The experience of women as presented here is appalling, and all too believable. The point, as the book makes clear, is that incidents that in isolation might seem comparatively trivial (and some of the things described are very far from trivial) take on a completely different aspect as part of constant stream of abuse and belittlement.

The book is not anti-men, as has also been claimed. Laura Bates goes out of her way to stress exactly the opposite - that this is one struggle that we really *are* all in together: 'Given that feminism simply means thinking everybody should be treated equally, regardless of sex, the entry criteria is refreshingly wide.' And while her focus is quite properly on the broader problems facing women, Bates takes time to look at things that affect men, and also other groups within society who face additional obstacles (because of race, sexual orientation or disability) to simply being their best selves.

One of the first reviews of the book that I read found it frustrating that no practical solutions were offered. I'm not sure how the reviewer arrived at that conclusion. The final chapter of the book outlines the clearest solution of all - that we all do whatever we can to confront and minimise sexism whenever we encounter it - and offers many practical examples of how this might work in various situations. If the majority of the book made me gasp in dismay, the last few pages occasionally found me blinking away tears at some of the victories that have already been achieved.

I have occasionally had reservations about some of Laura Bates' examples of sexism in articles (her focus on 'Mick Jagger's girlfriend' being described as such in a headline seemed a little misguided when surely the same thing would have happened to a partner of Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian or Lady Gaga--I'm not denying that this is a common problem of representation for women but the issue in this case was most likely comparative fame, not gender) - but I have no such qualms or quibbles about anything included in this book. This is impossible to ignore or dismiss; clearly presented, powerfully argued, and all very much to the point.

And if you might reasonably object that as a man I might have a shaky grasp of exactly what the point is, I refer you to the title of this review. Don't read what I think, don't read the critical reviews, read the book. It's about all of us, it's for all of us. And it could make a real difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, infuriating, depressing & hopeful., 18 April 2014
Thomas Pegg - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Kindle Edition)
Some months ago I stumbled across the twitter feed that the author had created. Like, I suspect, many guys my first impression was to wonder if this was exaggerated, I thought that equality had happened already... so I did my own straw poll of the women I knew only to find that almost all had at least one story to tell. Many had more than one. Some of them were tough to hear.

Surely the time has come for our mothers, sisters, wives & daughters to walk alongside us in equality.

This book opens your eyes to what is happening, how the little abuses enable the greater abuses and why anyone who cares should step up. Not just once in a while but every day. After several chapters that will depress & annoy anyone with a heart Laura ends on a note of hope for the future.

This is one of those books where the message is one that needs drilling into the brain of everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only bad thing about this book is that it will not be read by the people who really ought to read it., 8 May 2014
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Kindle Edition)
I’m lucky to live in a part of the world where women have equal rights to men in law, but this has yet to translate into day-to-day life. Everyday, women have to deal with street harassment, ‘harmless’ banter and unsolicited opinions on how to dress, what to eat and how to rear their children (if they even want children). Welcome to the world of everyday sexism.

It can be argued that what we have to deal with isn’t as important as issues like female genital mutilation. I would counter that, while each individual act of sexism is a small hailstone, the constant barrage of microagressions along side the more visible forms of harassment and violence are a never-ending hailstorm. We should not have to tolerate this kind of abuse just because other people might have it worse. We can speak out against cat-calling and about the denial of the right to education for women; it is not an either-or situation.

Bates founded the Everyday Sexism Project to show how ingrained sexism is in UK culture, and even she was shocked at how deeply rooted it is. Now, women from all over the world share their brushes with sexism. Sexism in our society can no longer be denied, or ignored. From the experiences shared at ESP, Bates put together a collection of essays looking at different facets of sexism: young women, women in public spaces, the media, the workplace and in education, motherhood and the intersectionality of sexism with other forms of discrimination.

It is a real eye-opener, even for people who consider themselves educated on such issues. It is a harrowing read in places, as Bates shares real experiences of violence and harassment. Anger may also be induced. The only bad thing about this book is that it will not be read by the people who really ought to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading, 25 Nov 2014
Dr. Michael Heron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Hardcover)
This book really should be required reading in every high school classroom. I confess, before I encountered the Everyday Sexism project on twitter, I had never really considered the issues of what women have to put up with on a day to day basis. When I saw my first few tweets on the subject, I thought 'This has to be 'once in a lifetime sexism', not 'everyday sexism'. So I talked to some female friends and simply asked them 'how true is this' - they all told me, in so many words, that yeah - this kind of thing is endemic.

The book is a deeply moving read, and I find it quite upsetting to see the accounts of women and young girls who have become so deeply worn down by the culture in which we live that their aspirations have been curtailed, their hopes constantly scaled back, and their expectation of simple, basic decency from strangers is so low. It also makes a very convincing case for how this is something that needs to be addressed *early* and that its central message needs to be constantly and vigorously curated by everyone. It expertly deconstructs many of the prevailing myths such as the humourless man-hater or the overly sensitive prude. It addresses head on many of the trivialisations that get brought up as counter arguments. And it does it all in a very readable way.

I couldn't recommend this book more, really. In a way that few other books have really managed, it is genuinely eye-opening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Hardcover)
I knew about and had been following this movement but didn't know what to expect from the book.

I found a book so thought-provoking and well written I found myself laughing and crying in equal measure but always, always wanting to keep reading.

I've found myself begging all my friends and family (men and women) to read this book- I've bought 3 copies now. And it's all I can do not to press it into the hands of bemused strangers.

People need to read this book. To think about what the people in it are saying and to open their eyes and hearts to its message.

A fantastic read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars oh but it is true, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Kindle Edition)
Please, please read this. It will sadden, shock, anger but hopefully empower. Thank you Laura Bates and all those
brave women and men who contributed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly moving and eye opening, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Hardcover)
Absolutely amazing, one of the best books I have ever read! Would definitely recommend. Bananas in paja m a s

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Laura., 12 April 2014
A. Pace - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Hardcover)
I want to start off by thanking Laura, for bringing this movement in to existence. Sometimes, all it really takes is for one person to stand up, speak out, and make a change. And that is exactly what she has done, and continues to do.

The endless stories that make their way to the Everyday Sexism Project show not only the sheer extent of the problem, but also show endless amounts of people that it's 'NOT JUST THEM'.

An inspiring movement, an inspiring lady and now an inspiring book too.
I'm so proud that you finally have this beautiful book published Laura, the Everyday Sexism Project is definitely going to be a piece of history. And hopefully, so is this book.

I bought it only a couple of days ago and have read it so avidly that I am already on to my second reading!

Funnily enough, the day that I bought this book... I went in to the city and walked to the book store, got my copy and told the cashier not to waste a bag, I would carry the book instead.
As I walked back through the city centre on the way to my car, I felt very self-conscious. I felt almost, exposed? I was wearing a skirt that finished below my knee, some sandals. No coat, or jacket. I felt conscious of my body, the way it looked, the shape, my bottom, my hips, my legs. I wondered if someone might see the book I was holding, and it's title, and have some kind of response to it. And I was very aware of all the men that I passed. I felt somewhere deep down inside that I would not reach my car without at least one man making some kind of comment towards me.

Laura had wrote an article for The Guardian that day, that was all about the difference between a compliment, and harassment. And to be honest, I expected harassment, not a compliment. I truly expected something negative to happen as I walked through the shopping centre, and all I wanted to do was get back to the safety of my car as soon as I possibly could.

As I was within reach of the shopping centre exit, I became aware of a man walking along side me. I heard him make a sniffing sound, and mumble something to himself, I made out the word 'lovely'... I then turned and saw him take earphones out of his ears, he looked at me and said 'You smell absolutely beautiful!' to which I laughed in surprise, smiled and said 'Thank you!'
And that was it, nothing more. He had paid me a compliment. And it was nice. I finished the rest of the walk to my car with a smile on my face. Happy that I had been proven wrong, and that the experience that I had known I would have, was not the harassment I had expected, but an innocent compliment. It made a change, and I really appreciated it.

Anyway, back to the book. Showing the many aspects of life affected by Sexism, this is really a piece that shouts from the rooftops... 'This is 2014, and this is how we are living, and this is NOT acceptable!'
I shouldn't have to feel so scared to walk in public places, I shouldn't have to feel wary of men, or violated by the things that they say to me. As a rape survivor, it may be something that's a predictable response to my experience. But it is a way that I always felt, even as a young girl.

In 2011, I gave up my right to anonymity to speak out about my experience of domestic violence and rape, in the hopes of encouraging other women and girls to come forward and finally talk. I managed to help and inspire many women and girls, and worked voluntarily, not only here in the UK for Rape Crisis, but overseas in Africa doing the same for WAR (Women Against Rape).

It's been a while since I felt as inspired to keep pushing forward and trying to make changes.
Laura and her movement has provided me with some much needed enthusiasm and inspiration to start that work again.

We are all capable of change. So let's make it happen. Thank you Laura.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an eye opener, 12 May 2014
P. Gordon (Halifax, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Hardcover)
As a man and as a Dad with a teenage boy and girl, this book opened my eyes. I am now working on both of my kids to try and help both sides of the issue. Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book everyone - men and women should read, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Everyday Sexism (Kindle Edition)
I found out about the Everyday Sexism project months ago and have been following it's progress on Twitter. A lazy Sunday surfing online found me downloading the book on my iPad and I emerged, having read it all by the following morning.
Seeing women's and also some men's experiences succinctly written in under 140 characters with the included tweets and other interviews and emails author Laura Bates received moved me immensely. Women will understand that these very contributions are real because some of them will have happened to them also, but what I found so inspiring about this book is the fact it so clearly outlines the problems with sexism and how each of us can contribute to changing the status quo. Laura writes intelligently and accessibly on a range of issues within the subject and shares her own experiences as well as contributors'. When people say women have achieved 'equality', I urge them to read this book and then reconsider their position.
I recommend this book to anyone with a girlfriend, wife or daughter to gain a glimpse of what life is like for 21st century females. Sadly, I fear that the people who most need to read it will not, however, I urge you to, you won't 'enjoy' it but I am sure you will want to share it with others.

Everyday Sexism