5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Drama in Years
Let me start by saving that I was a MASSIVE fan of the original Australian soap Prisoner (Cell Block H) and when I heard a remake was being done I was ecstatic. To think I would be reunited with my favourite TV characters again after all these years was very exciting. I will also admit to a little apprehension and questions like "Will it be as good as the original?"...
Published 20 months ago by TomTom1981

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a improved repeat of the original Prisoner Cell Block H
I thought Prisoner cell block H was a brilliant series in fact it became a regular Monday night viewing, here in England late 80s right up to the late 90s we was seeing a 70s drama for the first time. We remember B Smith, Franky and many of the actors, vinegar tits (Vera) Ferguson and Fletcher etc. But here they are once again trying to bring alive a 70s drama in the...
Published 7 months ago by Mike Rowland

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Drama in Years, 18 Oct. 2013

I've come to decide that, actually, you can't compare them. Prisoner was developed in a time when the subjects raised were bold, shocking and controversial and even as a die-hard fan, I have to admit that a lot of the times it pushed the boundaries of reality, but nevertheless, I will ALWAYS love it for what it was - classic Aussie soap set in a women's prison.

Wentworth (Prison) is not a soap. Its a hard as nails drama set in the modern day telling modern stories about the harsh realities of life in a women's prison today. The show's writers were guided by a former prisoner so everything we see is based upon reality.

The writing is sharp, the acting fantastic (Danielle Cormack as Bea, Nicola Da Silva as Franky, Shareena Clanton as Doreen, Kris McQUade as the brutally evil Jacs Holt are all standouts to me), the setting phenomenal and the love for the original and where it came are extremely evident.

I was sneaky as watched the first season online, but am still watching along with Channel 5 and I personally hope the Wentworth keeps going for many years to come. In my mind, this is perfect drama and I cannot wait for more.

The DVD has been on my wishlist for months...

5.0 out of 5 stars and that is the best way to watch and enjoy these absolute belters, 20 Aug. 2014
First off and foremost, to all true old and new prisoner fans, obviously from a purests point of view the original series from 1979/1986 will never be surpassed, the mold was definately broken, i caught them on the re-runs shown in england a year after australia finished the final series to concentrate on 'Neighbours' which was going into its 2nd season at the old Nunawading studios in victoria/australia. However....i gave the new modern version a try via T.V. last year and seperated my thoughts of the original so as not to compare the two, and that is the best way to watch and enjoy these absolute belters. A more grittier, realistic portrayal of a moderrn-day prison, with characters and names revamped with different personalities for example, (meg-circa-79/86 was empathic, understanding) (meg-circa-2013/14 a more hardened no nonsense type). With the modern series from what i can gather they are condensing 8yrs of original-style story-lines and condensing old and new characters into maybe 3 series depending how well they take off, firstly in our ozzy cousins home-land then world-wide, which the first series most definitely has. I suggest any prisoner fan give these a whirl, you won't be disappointed, and although in comparrison with the old set, the new one appears smaller and more cramped with less locations, this may change as the series expands. Remember, even though i myself arn't a fan of change, in this instance 'with time comes change' is a good approach for grity T.V. viewing here. Check out youtube to see some of the original cast checking out the new set, the 2 bea smiths chatting together comparing notes, checking out the new laundry etc, and basically passing the batton onto the 'new era', the original 'Mrs Davidson' looks and sounds exactly the same....amazing....enjoy....

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it loving it loving it, 26 Sept. 2013
Don't normally watch Channel 5 but when there was nothing on the telly one night, found this on Five on Demand and am now completely hooked! Never really watched Prisoner Cell Block H but I don't think that matters. Gritty, compelling and totally addictive. Pre-ordering the DVD now so that it will be easy to watch episodes back to back. Roll on the second series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wentwow!, 19 Oct. 2013
Ms. D. Seelumbur (UK) - See all my reviews
A friend told me about Wentworth Prison and that it was a re-make of Prisoner Cell Block H. Wow, I long for Wednesday's on channel 5 and may have to be in therapy whilst waiting for season 2. Order the box set like I have done and make sure you catch up with the show! You don't know what you are missing...

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Edgy Compelling Viewing, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Wentworth Prison Season One [DVD] (DVD)
This Australian drama is gripping stuff.

None of your Prisoner Cell Block H wobbly sets or acting here.

First time female con arrives at Wentworth Prison on remand for attempted murder of her husband.

This prison drama is edgy stylish compelling viewing.

Its on my Christmas list to give to myself :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing programme well worth watching., 8 Sept. 2013
(Please note: This is as of 3 episodes that have aired on C5, I have not yet seen the whole season).

But might I say wow? What a great, refreshing programme this is. It doesn't hold back, it has strong actresses and it has brilliant story lines - and all this from only 3 episodes watched so far.

If you enjoyed the likes of Bad Girls and even Prison Break to a lesser degree, you will enjoy this. It is far, far grittier than Bad Girls, but tackles the same sort of issues that Season One (at least) of Bad Girls did (lesbianism, top dogs, prisoner rivalry... and that's all without posting any spoilers).

The first episode alone was a brilliant piece of television, setting up for what will hopefully be a brilliant rest of season programme.

Take a dive into Wentworth Prison, the all women's prison with no holds barred, and I guarantee you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty and hard hitting!, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Wentworth Prison Season One [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastic drama, extremely well written, acted, and shot in a way to add tension to the drama. The journey of Bea Smith is extraordinary and compelling to watch. I haven't watched a drama this good in some time!

You don't need to have watched the original or been a fan already - this drama will create its own new fans and delight old fans, like myself, breathing new life (which is an understatement!) into the old characters you loved.

I highly recommend this, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars WENTWORTH, 6 Dec. 2014
Jet Lagged - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wentworth Prison Season One [DVD] (DVD)
This Australian prison drama series is a grittier version of "Orange is the New Black." If you liked that series you may like this one even better.

Bea Smith enters prison after being charged with the attempted murder of her husband. She is then forced to learn how the prison system actually works. Does this sound familiar?

The show actually takes its name from a real prison - Wentworth Jail in New South Wales, Australia. It finally closed in 1928. Nowadays it's a tourist attraction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from the star, 31 Oct. 2013
Being a very devoted fan of Prisoner: Cell Block H I was very dubious about the prospect at a modern remake/reboot. I will hands up say I was not disappointed.

Wentworth takes us to the beginning of Bea Smiths journey, when she is first sent to Prison. It dares to be extremely different to the original series but this is both a weakness and a strength. From Episode 1 this series grabs you and keeps you watching.

from the heart breaking scenes of Bea struggling with being away from her daughter to her devastating death and the extremely dramatic conclusion Wentworth gives you a new taste of something old refreshed for the modern audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Used To Give Me Bea Smith (I'm Glad They Did Again!?), 19 Aug. 2014
Mr. Ct Kent "clintyK" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wentworth Prison Season One [DVD] (DVD)
I was very dubious about the return of the beloved Prisoner (Cell Block H) to our screens. How could they possibly match the raw (but camp, beautiful and dramatic) dynamism of the original? Surely we would not take to the new faces portraying old favourites?? I was ready to criticise and curse. I needed to see this, and I expected to hate it.
Somehow, however, they actually have managed to generate a new kind of special magic quality (not quite the same as of old, but new, modern and edgier). Half the fun seems to be in revisiting old characters and sensing that we are seeing different aspects to their personalities that we would never have imagined - Meg Jackson the goody goody is no Doris Day in this, we see the twist (it's almost delicious!) from the original when there is a switch of storylines with that of her husband 'Bill'. Erica Davidson, the classy governer, now has issues you would never have dreamed of! We get to see a cleverer more emotional Frankie Doyle the lesbian. Doreen is still a bit dippy but likeable, 'Lizzy' also has grog issues like the original, but is not as annoying as before!? And as for Bea Smith - the new actress dupes you into thinking 'how could she EVER try to be Queen Bea, she's a wet blanket!', but you are seeing the woman evolve from an everyday mother to a hardened criminal before your very eyes. And she slowly draws you in, until you realise she IS Bea Smith ! Reborn !?!? Amazing!?!?
The storyline has a sexy vibe (that I'm not sure Prisoner needed) but the action and dialogue is good, the characters are likeable and JAX (the evil Top Dog) is just a masterpiece !?!? Next season we are promised the return of Joan 'The Freak' Ferguson. And I, for one, CANNOT WAIT !?!?!?

Wentworth Prison Season One [DVD]
Wentworth Prison Season One [DVD] by Jet Wilkinson (DVD - 2013)