5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about Arduino and how to use and program it

Published 8 months ago by jonesthesteam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Proof Read by Dummies, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
A very good book on the Arduino spoilt by silly mistakes and typo errors e.g page 80 on Joule's Law P = I x R should be P = V x I (as per the 3rd line of Calculating Power at the top of page 80) so that it derives correctly to the line below as P = I X I x R. Also on page 94 on "Putting Up Resistance", it should read, "It draws a maximum current of approximately 25mA (milliamps)", not "It draws a maximum voltage of .......", as printed.
There are a number of silly grammatical mistakes earlier in the book too with missing words and incorrect spelling.
Considering this is a book for the raw beginner in electronics, and the price charged, it should be better than this. The proof readers at Wordsmith Editorial need a rap across the knuckles for such mistakes.

But for these technical and editorial mistakes I would have given this book a 5 star rating, but because of them it only rates 3 stars in my view. Such a shame, but otherwise I would recommend it.
Looking at the Amazon site, I've just seen that there is a new edition due out on 21 May 2014. I hope they've corrected these mistakes.

PS. Don't be fooled by my pen name - I've got over 40 years experience in electronics development!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about Arduino and how to use and program it, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
When I bought the 'Arduino for Dummies book, I had had no computer programming experience and struggled to fully understand the programming of an Arduino board. That is, until I bought this book. It is by far the best book on the subject. It surpasses all others and leads the reader through the subject with great clarity. There were a couple of details that were insufficently clarified and these were resolved by referring to Simon Monk's book 'Programming Arduino - Getting Started with Sketches'. However I emphasise that without the 'Arduino for Dummies' book I would never have understood how to program and use an Arduino board. I recommend this book unreservedly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy editing, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
I only got the book today so I may want to upgrade my review at a later stage. However, the first thing that struck me was the fact that the book, published in 2013, uses the old fashioned symbol for a resistor which went out of general use about 30 or 40 years ago. Even then it's not consistent; the first three circuit diagrams showing resistors (pages 70 to 82) use the current symbol and table 6.1 on page 82 explains that this is the symbol for a resistor, but the rest of the book uses the out of date symbol, and without explaining what it is. I just hope the rest of the book hasn't been so sloppily prepared or edited.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant beginners book., 10 Aug 2013
Dale A. Haines "master_ice" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
Yet another excellent DUMMIES guide, this time for a basic (plus a bit) insight into using and working with the Arduino series of micro-controller boards.
If you're looking at this book then I would guess you already have a reason and won't be simply thinking "Arduino? Whats that? I'll buy the book...."
It covers the basics of the Arduino as well as the basic needed electronics to go with it as you can't use one without a degree of the other.
The thing with the Arduino series of boards is that you're limited only by your imagination, electronic theory and, as with many things, just how much extra money you wish to throw at your interest.
Unfortunately if you're a UK resident you will, of course, have to be prepared to get ripped off by the UK vendors for most of the addons where the standard cost conversion seems to be to take the US price, double it and add the number you first thought of! Cynical? Yes I am after too many years in the industry!
But the book is good and a great basis on which your Arduino experience can begin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and well explained, 30 Jan 2014
Michael Garbutt "Michael G" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
As an electrical engineering student, I was already familiar with the details of electrical circuits described in this book but had never done programming before. Examples are well presented, code functions are explained well and experimentation is encouraged. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arduino starter, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
This is an good read starting from the basic "blink routine" and explaining it line by line. It then progresses using examples that become more complex using real examples of interfacing different components and sensors. A lot of the early work can be found elsewhere but it's good to have it in one volume and easy to find. The later chapters dealing with "I2C" and "Processing" were useful for me as was the information on different sources of shields in the U.K. and WWW sites for further resources. The only thing that possibly isn't useful at this level was a chapter on soldering, which I felt wasn't necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for starting Arduinos, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very useful in getting started with the Arduino. I had a pre-made kit that I ordered, so I didn't have to worry about the types of Arduino to buy, but the book has a very good section on the various types available. The best part of the book is the way they use the schematic diagrams as well as 2D diagrams of the board and inputs/outputs of the various wires and parts. This is well-matched with the lines of code for the activities.
The book was really laid out well and made the process of working with the Arduino much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceedingly good., 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
ARDUINO… probably something that’s beyond me? After reading this book - No way! Before I knew it, I was about 30% into the book and had had loads of ‘light bulb’ moments due to the thoroughness of the text - nothing seems to be taken for granted. John Nussey, the author ,is clearly a superb communicator
A must for the young and developed minds in a digital age where understanding the tools of your trade is essential to create and innovate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to start with the arduino., 13 Aug 2013
Christian Loyal "Satronic.com" (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Paperback)
I love the friendly nature of the writing in this book. It covers some of the electronics basics you will find really useful when building projects which eventhough they are not directly arduino they are important to your projects. I've not read it all yet but the stuff I've covered so far has been a great help which has really fired up my enthusiasm for all thing arduino!

5.0 out of 5 stars including the basics & for someone like my grand children that was very useful I found ..., 12 July 2014
K. D. Hewes "Kelvar" (Northampton England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arduino For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I found this explained things well, including the basics & for someone like my grand children that was very useful I found I could find all I wanted to know using the index so didn't have to read the whole book to get my project finished

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›