on 25 September 2013
With this device you can investigate how mich power various items take and whether you need to get a better charger or a better cable. It really does show how all chargers and cables are not eqyual and many new devices such as Nexus 7 cannot be kept charged up properly without the right equipment.
on 3 November 2013
Used it to measure various mobile/tablet chargers and cables I had. Worked seamlessly. Haven't found any alternatives on the market. Switch shows Volts or Amps. Measured voltage drop between charging cables of various lengths.
on 28 September 2013
This works well with my goal zero solar panel. It lets you know if there is enough sun to actually put a charge into your phone ETC.
on 2 August 2013
I got 4 of these so I could test different configurations with multi-port chargers and to check out the solar panels and fast-charge cables I got from PortaPow. Useful for that.
on 16 October 2013
I ll start by saying that at the moment Portapow is the only supplier of a USB tester.

It is excellent!!! I use it with my portable solar panel and it helps me to adjust it at the right angle so that I can get maximum efficiency. I have also used it to check the output of portable back up battery packs such as TeckNet/Mili/EasyAcc. It works perfect in any occasion. So if you want to test any USB output your answer is Portapow tester. I have found two small negative things: one is the stiffness of the female USB extension cable(personally I would have liked a bit more flexible), and second the overall quality of the housing plastic of the unit which I believe has some space for improvement.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2014
Bought this to show me how much juice was being used by my phones/ipad and compare/test chargers/cables - the basic theory is the higher the current drawn [for a given config], the better [as it will be charging the battery faster]

This unit shows voltage or current [easily switchable on front] to hundredths e.g. 0.69. Claims 0-3A but the highest I measured was 2.4A by iPad Air [USB voltage should always be near 5V]
Body of this unit is 7cm long with the cable [not including the USB plug] also being 7cm, display text height 1cm & weight 44g - unit does not take a battery and doesn't have a backlight

Tested with a Nexus 4 and iPad Air, using an iPad Air wall-wart charger [i.e. high current out] or a 1A wall-wart or a USB port on a Windows computer, along with several cables - Nokia micro USB, a cheapo extendable micro USB etc]

Watching current drawn vary when changing things e.g. switching screen on/off, was interesting :-)

The 'normal' micro USB cables [i.e. have data and power] all seemed to perform similarly -
iPad wall-wart: the Nexus 4 drew 0.82A when its screen off and 1.02A when on [figures jumped around a little]. The 'power only' cable was very similar [maybe slightly higher].
1A wall-wart: the Nexus 4 drew figures which spiked alot more [up to 1.35A with 'power only' and 1.25A with 'power and data'] though usually about 1.05A.
USB port on computer: the 'normal' USB cables all dropped to 0.45A but the 'power only' to 0.76A

For iPad [apple lightening connector], got 0.46A connecting to computer and 2.34A when connected to the iPad charger [same with screen on or off]. Also tried from iPad wall-wart using the 'power only' Micro USB cable with the official apple micro usb to lightning converter and got 0.46A

So in summary, cables didn't seem to matter within a category but probably worth getting 'power only' micro USB if just charging

FYI: USB 2.0 [the most common standard] is 0.5A max and USB 3.0 is 0.9A [not tested this unit with USB 3 - this unit should work with it as it uses the same pins for power as USB 2.0]

The 'power only' USB cable used was following [30cm version]

PortaPow Specialised Fast Charge Short 30cm Micro USB Cable for Blackberry, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices
on 28 May 2014
Lovely gadget I bought to monitor my portable solar panels.
And I love it. I don't know how much it's accurate but I have no doubts it works properly for my needs.
I paln also to buy the bigger brother.

Thank you Amazon!
on 10 January 2014
Does what it says on the tin, and has already revealed to me that longer charging cables can significantly reduced charge rates into an iPad (which draws 2A if it is allowed to). I'm just a bit concerned about build quality - the USB output socket protrudes from the casing, and in my case it wobbles slightly and is not quite parallel to the body of the meter. Still, I don't expect to use it a lot - just to test new/unknown charging gadgets, really - so I don't expect this to be an issue.
on 5 March 2014
This is not the best quality in regards to construction.

For me it's appeal is that it works and is just the right size.

Ever wonder whether something is drawing current when the charge indicator is full?

Ever want to compare charge leads as to which one is superior in terms of current throughput.

I could go on and on, but, to me, this is a looking glass into the electronic black boxes.

Wonderful - find out the truth!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 December 2013
This is an excellent and very useful gadget which does exactly what is promised.

Connected between the power source and the gadget being charged it tells you the amount of current being used.

Add this to a solar panel to power such gadget and it shows the effect of moving the panel, even ever so slightly on the charge being produced.

For that reason alone, this is a stand out product, which goes hand in hand with solar chargers etc.

See one answered question