5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for checking Charging devices and Cables
With this device you can investigate how mich power various items take and whether you need to get a better charger or a better cable. It really does show how all chargers and cables are not eqyual and many new devices such as Nexus 7 cannot be kept charged up properly without the right equipment.
Published 14 months ago by David T

Published 8 days ago by Tony Bendall

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for checking Charging devices and Cables, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: PortaPow USB Power Monitor/Multimeter/DC Ammeter for Solar Panels, Mains Chargers, PC (Accessory)

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 28 Sep 2013
This works well with my goal zero solar panel. It lets you know if there is enough sun to actually put a charge into your phone ETC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 3 Nov 2013
Used it to measure various mobile/tablet chargers and cables I had. Worked seamlessly. Haven't found any alternatives on the market. Switch shows Volts or Amps. Measured voltage drop between charging cables of various lengths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 2 Aug 2013
I got 4 of these so I could test different configurations with multi-port chargers and to check out the solar panels and fast-charge cables I got from PortaPow. Useful for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Gadget, 16 Oct 2013
I ll start by saying that at the moment Portapow is the only supplier of a USB tester.

It is excellent!!! I use it with my portable solar panel and it helps me to adjust it at the right angle so that I can get maximum efficiency. I have also used it to check the output of portable back up battery packs such as TeckNet/Mili/EasyAcc. It works perfect in any occasion. So if you want to test any USB output your answer is Portapow tester. I have found two small negative things: one is the stiffness of the female USB extension cable(personally I would have liked a bit more flexible), and second the overall quality of the housing plastic of the unit which I believe has some space for improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super power gadget!, 19 Nov 2014
Super gadget for measuring the current and voltage supplied to equipment powered over USB. This item will make you rethink your purchase decisions of cheap USB cables and adapters used for charging devices. I bought a few 3m long cables for charging some of my devices off eBay at low prices and all of these barely manage to push 500mA to any of my devices from a 2.4A specialised USB charger.

Using properly built charging cables vs. cheapo USB cables (all cables: USB Type A Male to Micro USB Type B Male; Device charged: Hudl 2 tablet):

Cheap 3m: ~430mA (0.43A)
Cheap 1.5m: ~500mA (0.5A)
Cheap 1m: ~520mA (0.52A)

Charge cable 1.5m: ~1640mA (1.64A)
Charge cable 1m: ~1710mA (1.71A)
Charge cable 30cm: ~1740mA (1.74A)
Charge cable 20cm: ~1770mA (1.77A)

What's more is that whereas the cheap cables supply enough power for the device to charge, they will not supply anywhere near enough power to use and charge the device at the same time. Also, with the longer 3m cable, the Hudl 2 would act as if the power cable were continuously being plugged/unplugged - quite worrying at the time.

All of these measurements and revelations were made possible by using the 'PortaPow V2 USB Power Monitor'. Without it, my devices would still be taking a long time to charge (Nexus 4 now charges in around 2 hours using a charging cable, as opposed to 3 hours 15 mins using a cheapo cable) and I wouldn't be able to use the devices as well as charge them at the same time.

One other thing I found out using this Power Monitor was that a cheap third party charger (USB power adapter) I had bought could have been damaging my devices. The USB voltage spec is 5V (±0.25V) and this cheap USB power adapter was only showing 4.48V under load and the amperage from it would jump as high as 1.3A, even though it was only rated to 1A. That went straight into my recycling box ready to be taken to the Recycling Centre. Utter rubbish, a waste of money and could have been damaging my devices. Also, I wasn't too impressed with the components and workmanship when I opened up this adapter... Again, all of this was found by using this Power Monitor.

I admit that this review seems to be more about the use of charging cables or costly chargers/adapters, but this is only because of this Power Monitor. This Power Monitor enabled me to find out all the information listed in this review. Without it, I may have still been using some of it when maybe I shouldn't.

Attention - I noticed that one of the reviews stated the the screen looked scratched when they removed the monitor from its packaging. This is because the screen has a screen protector on it. It'll take a little digging (carefully!) at one of the corners or sides with a sharp implement to find an edge of this screen protector, but when you do remove it you'll be left with a pristinely clear screen.

So, to summarise, the 'PortaPow V2 USB Power Monitor' is a great piece of kit and helps you understand why some things take longer to charge with a particular cable or USB power adapter, which cable is most suited to charging duties and whether particular chargers are performing to specification.

All in all, an excellent addition to my collection of gadgets!

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy gadget but build quality suspect, look out for protective cover, 14 Nov 2014
I purchased the product to test the power output of some mobile solar panels I bought. The unit works well, but when I recieved it, the unit has a protective plastic cover over the readout face that is difficult to see, but can be peeled away to reveal a pristine face. I am pointing this out as I originally thought the unit looked second hand and a bit scratched, but this was not the case.
But the build quality of the casing is not superb as when you twist the unit to view the display unit the thick USB cable pops the unit apart at the base. I am able to clip it back together again but it is a bit annoying.
Maybe I should have gone with the mark 1 version which may be easier to view at different angles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power to the people, 25 Jan 2014
sugob (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this to show me how much juice was being used by my phones/ipad and compare/test chargers/cables - the basic theory is the higher the current drawn [for a given config], the better [as it will be charging the battery faster]

This unit shows voltage or current [easily switchable on front] to hundredths e.g. 0.69. Claims 0-3A but the highest I measured was 2.4A by iPad Air [USB voltage should always be near 5V]
Body of this unit is 7cm long with the cable [not including the USB plug] also being 7cm, display text height 1cm & weight 44g - unit does not take a battery and doesn't have a backlight

Tested with a Nexus 4 and iPad Air, using an iPad Air wall-wart charger [i.e. high current out] or a 1A wall-wart or a USB port on a Windows computer, along with several cables - Nokia micro USB, a cheapo extendable micro USB etc]

Watching current drawn vary when changing things e.g. switching screen on/off, was interesting :-)

The 'normal' micro USB cables [i.e. have data and power] all seemed to perform similarly -
iPad wall-wart: the Nexus 4 drew 0.82A when its screen off and 1.02A when on [figures jumped around a little]. The 'power only' cable was very similar [maybe slightly higher].
1A wall-wart: the Nexus 4 drew figures which spiked alot more [up to 1.35A with 'power only' and 1.25A with 'power and data'] though usually about 1.05A.
USB port on computer: the 'normal' USB cables all dropped to 0.45A but the 'power only' to 0.76A

For iPad [apple lightening connector], got 0.46A connecting to computer and 2.34A when connected to the iPad charger [same with screen on or off]. Also tried from iPad wall-wart using the 'power only' Micro USB cable with the official apple micro usb to lightning converter and got 0.46A

So in summary, cables didn't seem to matter within a category but probably worth getting 'power only' micro USB if just charging

FYI: USB 2.0 [the most common standard] is 0.5A max and USB 3.0 is 0.9A [not tested this unit with USB 3 - this unit should work with it as it uses the same pins for power as USB 2.0]

The 'power only' USB cable used was following [30cm version]

PortaPow Specialised Fast Charge Short 30cm Micro USB Cable for Blackberry, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices
www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Specialised-Blackberry-Charging-Devices/dp/B00HAAPREM

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gadget, 28 May 2014
Lovely gadget I bought to monitor my portable solar panels.
And I love it. I don't know how much it's accurate but I have no doubts it works properly for my needs.
I paln also to buy the bigger brother.

Thank you Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent tool..., 31 Oct 2014
...for checking the charging rate of different combinations of USB chargers and USB leads with phones, tablets, media players etc. This really works, giving a second-by-second real-time indication of charging power- which I have found varies greatly between different cables. I have not tried it with solar chargers but if anything it should be even more efficacious as it would show the wattage being available dependant on the position of the solar panel relative to the light source.