5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Gadget
I ll start by saying that at the moment Portapow is the only supplier of a USB tester.

Published 10 months ago by Alex

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but not well made.
This does the job, it measures current/voltage, and is a useful diagnostic tool. It tells you how fast your device is charging, allows you to test different leads and USB ports/chargers.

However it feels poorly built. I get the impression that is will fall apart at any moment. The USB output port is also at a slight angle, as if it is loose inside.
Published 3 months ago by Martin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Gadget, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: PortaPow USB Power Monitor/Multimeter/DC Ammeter for Solar Panels, Mains Chargers, PC (Accessory)

It is excellent!!! I use it with my portable solar panel and it helps me to adjust it at the right angle so that I can get maximum efficiency. I have also used it to check the output of portable back up battery packs such as TeckNet/Mili/EasyAcc. It works perfect in any occasion. So if you want to test any USB output your answer is Portapow tester. I have found two small negative things: one is the stiffness of the female USB extension cable(personally I would have liked a bit more flexible), and second the overall quality of the housing plastic of the unit which I believe has some space for improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for checking Charging devices and Cables, 25 Sep 2013
D. Torrens - See all my reviews
With this device you can investigate how mich power various items take and whether you need to get a better charger or a better cable. It really does show how all chargers and cables are not eqyual and many new devices such as Nexus 7 cannot be kept charged up properly without the right equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 28 Sep 2013
This works well with my goal zero solar panel. It lets you know if there is enough sun to actually put a charge into your phone ETC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 3 Nov 2013
Used it to measure various mobile/tablet chargers and cables I had. Worked seamlessly. Haven't found any alternatives on the market. Switch shows Volts or Amps. Measured voltage drop between charging cables of various lengths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 2 Aug 2013
I got 4 of these so I could test different configurations with multi-port chargers and to check out the solar panels and fast-charge cables I got from PortaPow. Useful for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gadget, 28 May 2014
Lovely gadget I bought to monitor my portable solar panels.
And I love it. I don't know how much it's accurate but I have no doubts it works properly for my needs.
I paln also to buy the bigger brother.

Thank you Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars A final solution to Nexus 7 slow charging, 18 Aug 2014
Absolute Godsend - was having trouble with my two Nexus 7s not charging / slow charging. Got the monitor and discovered that using even the best charger and cable the Nexus 7 would draw in different amp levels just by unplugging and re-plugging. It ranged from 0.21 to 0.85 amps - which is a big difference in charging speed. Now I always use the monitor to check that I'm getting the highest level of charge. Just ordered a second one for my wife's Nexus 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Power to the people, 25 Jan 2014
sugob (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this to show me how much juice was being used by my phones/ipad and compare/test chargers/cables - the basic theory is the higher the current drawn [for a given config], the better [as it will be charging the battery faster]

This unit shows voltage or current [easily switchable on front] to hundredths e.g. 0.69. Claims 0-3A but the highest I measured was 2.4A by iPad Air [USB voltage should always be near 5V]
Body of this unit is 7cm long with the cable [not including the USB plug] also being 7cm, display text height 1cm & weight 44g - unit does not take a battery and doesn't have a backlight

Tested with a Nexus 4 and iPad Air, using an iPad Air wall-wart charger [i.e. high current out] or a 1A wall-wart or a USB port on a Windows computer, along with several cables - Nokia micro USB, a cheapo extendable micro USB etc]

Watching current drawn vary when changing things e.g. switching screen on/off, was interesting :-)

The 'normal' micro USB cables [i.e. have data and power] all seemed to perform similarly -
iPad wall-wart: the Nexus 4 drew 0.82A when its screen off and 1.02A when on [figures jumped around a little]. The 'power only' cable was very similar [maybe slightly higher].
1A wall-wart: the Nexus 4 drew figures which spiked alot more [up to 1.35A with 'power only' and 1.25A with 'power and data'] though usually about 1.05A.
USB port on computer: the 'normal' USB cables all dropped to 0.45A but the 'power only' to 0.76A

For iPad [apple lightening connector], got 0.46A connecting to computer and 2.34A when connected to the iPad charger [same with screen on or off]. Also tried from iPad wall-wart using the 'power only' Micro USB cable with the official apple micro usb to lightning converter and got 0.46A

So in summary, cables didn't seem to matter within a category but probably worth getting 'power only' micro USB if just charging

FYI: USB 2.0 [the most common standard] is 0.5A max and USB 3.0 is 0.9A [not tested this unit with USB 3 - this unit should work with it as it uses the same pins for power as USB 2.0]

The 'power only' USB cable used was following [30cm version]

PortaPow Specialised Fast Charge Short 30cm Micro USB Cable for Blackberry, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus, Other Fast Charging Devices
www.amazon.co.uk/PortaPow-Specialised-Blackberry-Charging-Devices/dp/B00HAAPREM

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
I use it to check that the phone chargers are working

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 30 Jun 2014
J. SLADER (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
A really useful bit of kit if you want to measure current drawn from a USB port or the output voltage.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›