4.0 out of 5 stars Not run of the mill vampire stuff
Nina is half-vampire and half-human and is part of a secret (American) government department which takes out the supernatural protagonists of crime in order to protect the rest of society. She has been doing this for years but has recently returned to her home town in order investigate her background further and reconnect with what is left of her family.

The...
Published 12 months ago by Anne

3.0 out of 5 stars Lighthearted Urban Fantasy...
A lighthearted paranormal UB with vampires, witches, ghosts and banshees.
A hybrid half-breed vamp who fights to rid the city of rogue supernaturals.
Only skims the surface on each aspect of the story, both the characters and the world building.
So eventhough I can't fault the author on enthusiasm the story lacked depth. The framework, ideas and creativity...
Published 11 months ago by Cheryl M-M

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not run of the mill vampire stuff, 16 Sep 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)

The premise is interesting and Nina is a grown woman who knows her powers and the world in which she lives so we don't have to go through the coming of age thing. Of course, it turns out that she doesn't know as much about the world she lives in as she thought and her background proves to be very complicated. Along the way she meets a hunky but human FBI agent to whom she is very attracted.

The premise of this book has a lot of potential and some of it is realised in this novel. Nina is an attractive and capable character and her world is an interesting one. Max is a particularly interesting character and their "relationship" is very well done. There are some other interesting characters including Nina's aunt, the local drunk, and Frankie the vampire.

I enjoyed reading this novel as I found that it flowed well and had some exciting moments. I was disappointed, however, that there wasn't more about the government agency and how it worked and I did think that with a childhood immersed in this stuff Nina should perhaps have known more about what was happening. I feel that the book is heading towards a love triangle for Nina and I am very tired of this with female main characters in the genre, although I think that it is well done here. I also thought that some important but lesser featured characters such as Dr O needed a bit more fleshing out.

If you like vampire/supernatural urban fantasy, however, I think that you should give this one a try. Any sequels should be very interesting given the way in which the plot develops here.

I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hells to the yeah, 6 Oct 2013
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
This was mostly a win for Team UF. There were a couple of things I wasn't crazy about, but the end had me wanting the next book to find out more, which is always a good sign, right? I'm going to put the other things down to Book One Syndrome for now and hope the next book starts with a bang!

So, what's it about? Well, your main character is a half-vampire called Nina. She's quite the little badass and has a goodly amount of snark. She rides a motorcycle (nice!). She has to hide what she is from the unsuspecting public, which is made easier by the fact she doesn't actually consume blood, though she still reaps the other benefits like strength and speed. She had a very isolated childhood and spent most of it in a facility being trained in combat along with other supes, including her full-vampire bestie, Frankie, whom I loved and who's also partnered with her in a sort of supernatural government agency. Or, at least, he was until Nina had to come back home to tend bar with her aunt, which is where we pick up the story.

Nina's appearance back in her birth town doesn't go quite as smoothly as one might hope. See, first there's a sexy cop asking too many questions, then there's a vampire mercenary whose more of a kill-first-ask-questions-later type, and all Nina really wants to do is go on a freakin' date! Is that so much to ask?

Apparently it is, yes. And actually, I'm glad the romance subplot was interrupted because this was one of the aspects I was only luke warm about. The romance in this book didn't really hit the sweet spot for me. It may do in future books, I'm willing to reserve judgement for now, but to be truthful, I'm not sure she's with the right guy yet anyway. I'm wondering if there might be someone else more... fitting, and maybe he's just the decoy guy. I guess we'll see, won't we?

The book had a good dose of action, some decent worldbuilding and the setting sounded fun. I also loved the ending - very excited by that tantalising finish! All in all, a good start and one I will be continuing. Go ahead and jump on the pile! You'll be in good company.

4 Stars ★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars He'll'sBelle, 13 Sep 2013
Mrs. J. S. Simmons "bookworm" (suffolk england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
Really good start to,I hope,a series. Good storyline and characters I want to know more about. Please don't make me wait to long for the next instalment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
This was recommended to me by Amazon and I must say it was a great book. Good characters, good premise and good plot. I hope we'll get more from Karen Greco soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific supernatural mystery, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
Hell's Belle. Karen Greco.

ARC supplied via Netgalley.

I enjoy paranormal books, but so many are really just a light, fluffy romance with a bit of fantasy thrown in, so it's a treat to read one that has some depth to it. This novel is a mix between fantasy, urban, and dystopian, it has elements from all those genres mixed in and it works really successfully to give a story that's action packed, gripping and full of characters that I felt I could be friends with (well the good ones !).
The description covers the basics of the plot, and this book feels as if its the first in a series. I hope so as I'd love to read more of Nina and friends - especially Frankie - I'm a sucker for the good vamps....
Nina is back in her home town managing the bar she co-owns with her aunt, after spending most of her life away training with the Dept. she works with. There's an attack on her and one of the customers leaps to her rescue - he's the delicious Max, FBI agent here on a mission to help with the local gang crime. Of course Nina can't tell him that its supernatural related, but he can't seem to stay out of it. There's lots coming forward too about her ancestry, and she's developing powers that the secret Govt. agency she works for hadn't foreseen. Its a mix of ghosts, demons, vampires, hell hounds and witchery, and it all makes for one hot, riveting investigation, with the supernatural agents trying to clean up away from the investigations of the human police. Nina seems to leap from one attack to another, trying to get a successful date with Max, who's sensually attractive, without tipping him off about her odd heritage. Max gets suspicious when she's involved in so many of the crime scenes though, and her passing out when a recently murdered man keeps possessing her, along with a strange and frightening incident involving her new powers when they finally do manage a date has him wondering just what's going on. He's not ready for the truth though even when he does get told...
Frankie - ah I loved him right from the start, he's known Nina all her life and her dad was his mentor. He's over 500 years old and has some great snarky quips. He's very protective of Nina, and there's antipathy between him and Max right from the start. Max is hot but compared to Frankie - Max? Max who ? :)
There's a host of other supernatural people in this novel, and all are strong and play a part to make for a superb story that had me glued to my kindle. I really, really want more form this team.
Stars: cracking book, solid story, real characters so full five.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
Is there a follow up because the book ended and left a lot of maybes but a good read all the same

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first book, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
Entertaining read. I hope Karen develops the characters more in the next instalment. I liked the heroine and the story and will definitely be getting the next book, recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this new world., 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this new world. I read a lot and was disappointed when there wasn't another in the series available straight way; which find is a good sign. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
This is a gripping book . I look forward eagerly to her next offering. Hope we don't have to wait too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read !!!, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hell's Belle (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book from the start. It is fast paced and action packed and full of interesting characters. It did n't take me more than 3 days to read it I just could n't put it down. I was disappointed to find no more books by this author I just hope the author is busy writing her next instalment. I'm 42 and thought this book may have a younger target market . The cover just captured me and once I read a little about the book I knew it was one for me. I love anything vampire/ otherworldly / but uncomplicated so I can escape into there world easily. Thank you Karen Greco for a stunning book please please write some more a talent like yours should not be wasted.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›