5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, great.
Published 11 months ago by Miss R. Dassa

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed
I was looking forward to receiving this DVD as I had not been able to get to The Globe to see it, but was exceedingly annoyed and very disappointed to find the DVD in black and white! Why?! Performances, speeches, etc all very fine and OK, but it was just like watching a very old film.
Published 9 months ago by goblin

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, great., 26 Aug 2013
Miss R. Dassa "Roni" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shakespeare: Twelfth Night (Globe on Screen) [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
I'm not very scholarly, I know very little about Shakespeare , but watching this I laughed a lot, I understood the story and the jokes. The acting is superbe. I've never heard of Mark Rylance but having seen him in this I now wants to see everything he is in. I am totally in love with him. He was so funny and great. All the actors are great and I totally believed in the characters. I was worried that I would get confused by a a man playing a woman playing a man, but the acting was so good that it all felt very clear and I totally bought into it. I highly recommend this to any one familiar with Shakespeare as well as to anyone who has never seen Shakespeare and maybe feels intimidated by it, you won't be intimidated by this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Twelfth Night Ever, 6 July 2013
I've seen this production twice, now: once live on stage, and once at my local cinema. Now I'm waiting for the DVD so I can see it again. It's that good.

This is an all-male production, which harks back to the original Tudor theatre; which goes some way to explain why Shakespeare was so fond of cross-dressing as a plot device - a boy disguised as a girl, disguised as a boy. It also heightens the comedy; both Mark Rylance (Olivia) and Paul Chahidi (Maria) would make wonderful Pantomime Dames if they so chose.

The big name in this production is Stephen Fry as Malvolio. He is, by turns, side-splittingly funny and heart-rendingly vulnerable. There's a touch of Lord Melchett in his performance, but this works splendidly. Fry is a much better actor than many people (including himself?) give him credit for.

The twins are convincingly interchangeable (not least due to the preposterous wigs they each sport); and though it seemed to me that Viola took a couple of scenes to get into his stride, he was great thereafter. Mark Rylance plays Olivia as a semi-hysterical spinster unable to contain her lust for the handsome young "Cesario." When Sebastian (who Olivia thinks is "Cesario") responds positively to her advances, Rylance's reaction is a hoot.

The comedy double-act of Toby Belch (Colin Hurley) and Andrew Aguecheek (Roger Lloyd "Trigger" Pack) is wonderful. The duel between Aguecheek and Viola/Cesario is hilarious; but for pure comedy it is topped by the Box Tree scene, where Belch, Aguecheek and Fabian eavesdrop on Malvolio as he struggles with the planted letter. I have never known this scene to be done better, or to have got more laughs.

All in all, this production treats Twelfth Night as the comedy it is - but not JUST as a comedy. It is no accident that the most serious character in the play is Feste, the Clown (Peter Hamilton Dyer). He seems to drift though the play with an air of cynical aloofness, his songs hinting that this comedy has a darker side.

I cannot praise this production enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's acting at it's finest. Don't miss this., 28 Dec 2013
I took my eight year old daughter to see this production on stage. She was entranced the entire show - and by modern standards, it's not a short show. I took her because I wanted her to see Mark Rylance and Stephen Fry, but the entire ensemble is what balances out this brilliant interpretation of "Twelfth NIght". If you missed the staging at the Globe, or you missed trotting over to see it staged on Broadway, treat yourself. Don't miss this production. It's Shakespeare done right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the film Twelfth Night, 21 Nov 2013
I saw Twelfth Night here in NYC. This is one of the greatest productions of a Shakespeare play that I have ever seen. Seeing and hearing a great production "live" cannot be reproduced in a film. However, the film is a wonderful record of this very special production. The acting, set design, direction, and music are superb and the film does give so much, if not all, of a sense of being there. Not everyone will be able to see Twelfth Night in New York. I am so glad that those who love the theater will have a chance to see the film of Twelfth Night. The dvd is region free and will play on any American player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stage production; Fry was perfect; it really is NTSC format from Amazon UK, 30 Mar 2014
The very good reviews of the New York run were merited, and it's even better being at the Globe. It really is NTSC and worked perfectly on my USA DVD player and TV (via HDMI). From the internet, NTSC will also play on the UK-Europe PAL equipment, but not vice versa. It seems like a very good idea to do it that way especially for stage plays, ballets, etc, which will have comparatively low total sales worldwide so the last thing needed is more overhead in putting it out in two formats. I wish more of them were released that way on DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Production!, 22 Jan 2014
Saw this production on Broadway last month with the same cast and was glad to find this DVD. The only disappointment I have is that on this DVD, Samuel Barnett does not play Viola (he does on Broadway and he was terrific). Otherwise very satisfied with this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most perfect production ever filmed., 30 July 2013
St. Mym "saintmym" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When I saw Twelfth Night at the Globe in 2002 I thought it was one of the best things I had ever seen on a stage.
When I saw it again in 2012 it was still one of the best things I had ever seen on a stage. I even took many "Shakespeare's not for me" types along with me who agreed. So I'm very pleased it is now on record via this film.

Rylance (as in most things he does) is quite simply incredible, the attention to detail, the timing...
Fry is good and competent, most of the cast are too. Special mention to Paul Chahidi as Maria (very funny) and to Colin Hurley as Sir Toby (very nasty in the right places) and Peter Hamilton-Dyer as Feste - I cannot imagine this play being done better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful record of an unforgettable production, 10 Mar 2014
I saw this production this winter after its transfer to New York, and it set a high standard for future productions of Shakespeare and especially Twelfe Night. The cast is uniformly excellent, led by the inimitable Mark Rylance as Olivia and the extraordinary Stephen Fry as Malvolio. The musical accompaniments are (excuse the pun) pitch perfect and the staging fast and funny. Additional kudos to Liam Brennan as Orsino for a touching performance of a role that is sometimes drab and undefined in performance. Highly recommended for repeated watchings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twelfth Night Fantastic, 9 Mar 2014
Better and funnier than anything I've seen this year. I laughed til it hurt. Buy it even is shakespeare isn't your thing it's magnificent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 8 Mar 2014
Drawn to this by other reviews I must say that this production/performance took my breath away. 5 stars just doesn't seem enough, somehow.

Shakespeare: Twelfth Night (Globe on Screen) [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]