5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically funny, blistering performance.
Published 1 month ago by JK

3.0 out of 5 stars to the extent that it becomes quite tiring towatch and hear them
Sorry not to join in the chorus of praise; three stars for effort, for they all try very hard indeed, to the extent that it becomes quite tiring to watch and hear them. This is, after all, a Shakespeare comedy and not an Ealing comedy; there should be a certain contrast between courtly and vulgar style; for example, Olivia should be a worthy object of the Duke Orsino's...
Published 7 months ago by S. Graham David

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically funny, blistering performance., 21 April 2015
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Shakespeare: Twelfth Night (Globe on Screen) [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
Fantastically funny, sharp, brilliant all male performance of Twelfth Night filmed at the Globe Theatre, London, during June 2012. A star studded cast with a mass of acting experience and each one giving a lesson in how to own the stage. They act, they dance and sing while a small orchestra entertain throughout playing only traditional instruments. Musical credits go to Claire Van Kampen; wife of Mark Rylance. This is a real troupe and they bring the play to life. Performed on a small stage, surrounded by a live audience and with the bare minimum of props they are mesmerizing and I had no problem melting into the drama and laughing along with this amazing Shakespearean comedy.

Mark Rylance and Liam Brennan are listed as 'primary contributors' but watch out for magical performances from the late Roger Lloyd-Pack (Trigger from 'Only Fools and Horses) as the hapless Anthony Aguecheek and Stephen Fry as an eye catching Malvolio complete with bright yellow stockings!. I'd also have to give praise to Peter Hamilton Dyer who made an amazing 'Fool'.

Full cast listing;
Samuel Barnett, Liam Brennan, Paul Chahidi, John Paul Connolly, Ian Drysdale, Johnny Flynn, Stephen Fry, James Garnon, Peter Hamilton Dyer, Colin Hurley, Roger Lloyd Pack, Mark Rylance, Jethro Skinner and Ben Thompson.

Director: Tim Carroll

The DVD has a running time of approx. 164 minutes.
Subtitles: EN/DE

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Twelfth Night Ever, 6 July 2013
I've seen this production twice, now: once live on stage, and once at my local cinema. Now I'm waiting for the DVD so I can see it again. It's that good.

This is an all-male production, which harks back to the original Tudor theatre; which goes some way to explain why Shakespeare was so fond of cross-dressing as a plot device - a boy disguised as a girl, disguised as a boy. It also heightens the comedy; both Mark Rylance (Olivia) and Paul Chahidi (Maria) would make wonderful Pantomime Dames if they so chose.

The big name in this production is Stephen Fry as Malvolio. He is, by turns, side-splittingly funny and heart-rendingly vulnerable. There's a touch of Lord Melchett in his performance, but this works splendidly. Fry is a much better actor than many people (including himself?) give him credit for.

The twins are convincingly interchangeable (not least due to the preposterous wigs they each sport); and though it seemed to me that Viola took a couple of scenes to get into his stride, he was great thereafter. Mark Rylance plays Olivia as a semi-hysterical spinster unable to contain her lust for the handsome young "Cesario." When Sebastian (who Olivia thinks is "Cesario") responds positively to her advances, Rylance's reaction is a hoot.

The comedy double-act of Toby Belch (Colin Hurley) and Andrew Aguecheek (Roger Lloyd "Trigger" Pack) is wonderful. The duel between Aguecheek and Viola/Cesario is hilarious; but for pure comedy it is topped by the Box Tree scene, where Belch, Aguecheek and Fabian eavesdrop on Malvolio as he struggles with the planted letter. I have never known this scene to be done better, or to have got more laughs.

All in all, this production treats Twelfth Night as the comedy it is - but not JUST as a comedy. It is no accident that the most serious character in the play is Feste, the Clown (Peter Hamilton Dyer). He seems to drift though the play with an air of cynical aloofness, his songs hinting that this comedy has a darker side.

I cannot praise this production enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rylance and Fry and Chahidi, Oh My!, 3 April 2014
J. Welch "Austin" (Austin, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
And the too soon departed Roger Lloyd-Pack.

Thank God and the Globe that someone had the foresight to film this performance. This is sheer, blissful, give-yourself-over-to-it fun. The laughs started with the opening scene, and the first scream laughs started with Mark Rylance' first footfall on the stage, if you could call it that. He certainly looked like he had on skates under that beautiful dress.

I had the great good fortune to see this leaning on the front of the stage at the new Globe in London, then eight months later from a seat on the stage in New York. I was able to secure the entire second row of the center orchestra and filled it with friends. One of the greatest joys of my life, at least thus far, was being able to look past the footlights and see the faces of my closest friends, second row center, convulsed with laughter. Three of the men kept handkerchiefs in hand, wiping away tears of laughter.

I have seen hundreds of productions of Shakespeare's plays. I can confidently state I will never see a better production. Rylance is never less than perfection, Fry's Malvolio's preening courtship of Rylance' Olivia, spurred by Chahidi's Maria was supremely funny, but I don't think you could expect less from that trio.

Unfortunately, Roger Lloyd-Pack was too ill to make the trip to New York, but thank goodness, his performance as Sir Andrew Aguecheek is preserved here during the London run.

Well, here's that word that any of us hate to use when reviewing any Shakespeare performance, this play is ridiculously accessible. Anybody, from scholars to music hall holdouts, will enjoy this play. It is impossible not to.

I've just ordered seven more dvd's of this. The fifteen I've already ordered are scattered to friends as mementos of one of the best nights of theater I've ever enjoyed, or to people who were never able to get to NY to see it.

Buy this, and settle in for an evening of delight, knowing you're seeing performers at the pinnacle of their powers.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will NEVER see a production of Twelfth Night better than this one. And good luck finding one as good., 23 Jan. 2015
Jill Giovan (new york, new york) - See all my reviews
I was lucky enough to see this production on Broadway. It was so good, I saw it twice. The second time, I took my teenage son. During the intermission I told him. "You may see more productions of Twelfth Night in your lifetime, and I hope you do, but you will NEVER see a production better than this one." It was the most wonderful theatre imaginable. In my opinion, perfect in every way. Down to a man, the acting was sublime. (No women here! My favorite performance? Samuel Barnett.) The best ensemble I've ever seen in anything. Totally enthralling and hilarious. Gorgeous costumes. My son, who is usually bored to death and confused by Shakespeare, hung on every word, as did the entire audience. I am so happy they have preserved this on a DVD. I intend to play it at least once a year until I die!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the film Twelfth Night, 21 Nov. 2013
I saw Twelfth Night here in NYC. This is one of the greatest productions of a Shakespeare play that I have ever seen. Seeing and hearing a great production "live" cannot be reproduced in a film. However, the film is a wonderful record of this very special production. The acting, set design, direction, and music are superb and the film does give so much, if not all, of a sense of being there. Not everyone will be able to see Twelfth Night in New York. I am so glad that those who love the theater will have a chance to see the film of Twelfth Night. The dvd is region free and will play on any American player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any Shakespeare classroom, 27 Oct. 2014
This is an excellent production of Twelfth Night. I show it to my students and it is great to see them connecting what we discussed in class about Shakespeare and Elizabethan theatre to what is produced on stage. The fact that it is line for line is wonderful and I was especially happy to realize that the chapter sections of the DVD are broken up into each of the different scenes. There were kids shouting out "look at the trap door" and every time Maria appeared on stage they would giggle and snicker. The fact that it is an all male cast really helps them understand the twisted plot even more. I also like the use of music in the production.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the TV and thought it was one if the best and funniest Shakespearian plays I had seen for a ..., 1 Dec. 2014
I saw this on the TV and thought it was one if the best and funniest Shakespearian plays I had seen for a long time. This would be a very good DVD to show in schools to children who are just learning about Shakespeare as it really was very entertaining and very easy to follow. A bit of a masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stage production; Fry was perfect; it really is NTSC format from Amazon UK, 30 Mar. 2014
The very good reviews of the New York run were merited, and it's even better being at the Globe. It really is NTSC and worked perfectly on my USA DVD player and TV (via HDMI). From the internet, NTSC will also play on the UK-Europe PAL equipment, but not vice versa. It seems like a very good idea to do it that way especially for stage plays, ballets, etc, which will have comparatively low total sales worldwide so the last thing needed is more overhead in putting it out in two formats. I wish more of them were released that way on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth seeing, 6 April 2014
OK, the negatives first - not my favourite Toby Belch/Sir Andrew Aguecheek of the very many productions I have seen. But you can overlook this for the sheer magic of the marvellous Mark Rylance and a beautifully sensitive and understated performance from Stephen Fry as Mallvolio. Was afraid he might overdo it - but he didn't.. And this production has the best Maria I have ever seen - worth buying for that performance alone! Hightly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars suffice to say that I enjoyed this production of TN far more than any other ..., 23 Sept. 2014
Georgie H (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
I'm not sure what I can add to the comments posted by other reviewers, suffice to say that I enjoyed this production of TN far more than any other that I've seen. The atmosphere created by the Globe Theatre venue is superb and the quality of the cast is outstanding. If, like me, you cannot get to the Globe, and you enjoy Shakespeare comedies then this is the DVD for you.

Shakespeare: Twelfth Night (Globe on Screen) [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]