5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read.
Published 9 months ago by Steven Kimberley

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative true-life hostage drama
3.5 stars.

I only read this as the film interested me and I wanted to read the source material first. I audio read this, and the 7 disc CD is well narrated and an easy listen.

Published 4 months ago by K. J. Noyes

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book by accident, having searched for a sci-fi trilogy by an author of the same name. I deeply enjoyed this book, especially as the film has just been released! My only regret is that I read it in three days, I wish it had been longer. Phillips' account of his ordeal is harrowing and gives a very personal insight into his kidnapping. He writes candidly about the roles of the U.S. government, the Navy and the SEAL team that eventually rescued him. If you are thinking about seeing the movie, give the book a read too, and get the 'un-Hollywood' version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
This story details in great detail the bravery of Captain Phillips. It shows how the family back at home were affected. The film was good. The book went into what happened in greater detail. Riveting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read', 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
Having seen the film, felt I had to read the book to get all the detail.
It doesn't disappoint...
Gives more depth to his character and also an interesting insight into Merchant mariners life.

The film was very true to the book also.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Captain's Duty, 13 Jun 2013
A very well written record of the events surrounding the piracy of Maersk Alabama off East Africa. Captain Phillips displayed the leadership expected of a professional mariner. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten star Reading, 11 Mar 2014
fernacks (Poulton-le-Fylde. Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Kindle Edition)
Captain Phillips is a true hero because, as with true heroes,,he doesn't think he is. This is an adventure that needs to be read if only to appreciate what sailors, military or civilian, can encounter at any given time - it is NOT an easy life! On British T.V., there have been programmes showing some sympathy towards the pirates (incredibly) due to their poor circumstances - all caused by the West of course. Read this and you will see what unfeeling, cruel, selfish people they really are. The stoicism and selflessness of Captain Phillips is a lesson to everyone and he deserves all the plaudits he so deservedly gets.How he survived the physical and mental cruelty is a real credit to him. Brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative true-life hostage drama, 1 Mar 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Audio CD)
3.5 stars.

The true story of a captain and his crew who are pursued and boarded by Somali pirates and manage to outwit them. Knowing the outcome isn't normally a problem, knowing that Captain Phillips survives, that the pirates don't win. But I actually found I identified with the pirates for 90% of their appearances in the book. I don't mean I wanted them to take money, boats and cargo from the ship, but I found myself constantly wondering "why are they doing this?", "what's life like for them in Somalia?", and their eventual fate for me was a regretful one.

The book jumps around a lot, our narrator spending half the running length (I listened to the audio) talking about his days before he joined the merchant navy, meeting his wife and his time in initial training. Then the missing chunk for me is how he rose to the rank of captain, which I was looking forward to hearing.

The pirate attack and hostage situation is quite exciting, with Phillips' wife's point of view lengthening it and racheting up tension.

It's a good one to read if you're interested in ships and the merchant navy, life for a captain/ship worker and real life dramas.

If you like this, I'd recommend the Young Adult book on similar lines: Hostage Three by Nick Lake.

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but..., 2 Feb 2014
Peter "pmsbony" (Swanscombe, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Kindle Edition)
Tells you the story but it just seemed a little cold. There was mention of feelings and emotions but they felt forced into the narrative and it did not really grab me as a result.

The story itself is fascinating and capt. Phillips comes across.as very brave.

An interesting read but strangely uninspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Captain's Duty (Paperback)
A very interesting read especially after seeing the film - puts certain points in what happened very clearly and relates the experience to what Captain Phillips felt. Also gives you a better idea of what all the people involved were liek and how they succeeded in finding a way out of a hugely difficult situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014