4.0 out of 5 stars London Steampunk book 3
Rosalind's brother has been missing for a while and she would do anything to save him even infiltrating the nighthawks, her enemy and working for their leader Jasper. But the more time she spends with him the more she realises that things are not what she thought they were.

Published 19 months ago by Kate Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars London Steampunk book 3
3.5 stars

Published 18 months ago by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars London Steampunk book 3, 28 Oct. 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
3.5 stars

I'm a huge fan of Bec McMaster's London Steampunk series so I couldn't wait to start reading the third book My Lady Quicksilver. Unfortunately this wasn't my favourite book in the series but it is still an enjoyable story and one I'd recommend reading if you've enjoyed the previous instalments. I think the main reason I didn't feel as connected with this story is that we don't really see much of the previous characters, the earlier books (and novella) have revolved heavily around Blade and his gang and I missed the dynamic of their group in this book. We have previously met Rosalind and Jasper but didn't know either of them well so I didn't feel as invested in their story.

We have come across Rosalind briefly as her alter ego Mercury, she was one of the leaders of the humanist group before there was dissension in the ranks and a splinter group broke off to make more violent protests. Rosalind still believes in her cause but she doesn't like the new direction some of her people have taken. At the moment she is more concerned with the disappearance of her brother though, he has been missing for several months and her only hope of finding him lies with the Nighthawks so she decides to infiltrate them undercover to make use of their resources. Jasper is the leader of the Nighthawks and as such he is working towards bringing down the humanist movement, he is naturally Rosalind's enemy but as she gets to know him and sees just how much damage the splinter group is causing she starts to question everything she previously believed in.

I'll admit that I wasn't a huge fan of Rosalind before I started this book but she actually grew on me quite quickly. She has strong beliefs about humans being equal to the echelon but she doesn't think it's right to resort to extreme measures to get their point across. She has principles and although her actions aren't completely legal there is a line that she won't cross. Rosalind cares deeply for her family and she is prepared to risk her life for those she loves, she isn't afraid to stand up and be counted and I admired that side to her. Jasper is a proud man and a good leader, he cares about the men under his command and does his best to protect them. His Nighthawks all respect and trust him which says a lot about his character. He is looked down on by the echelon but they are more than happy to put his skills to use as the leader of their police force.

I really liked both of these characters individually but I had trouble accepting them as a couple, I think I just found it difficult to believe that someone as smart as Jasper could be fooled for so long by Rosalind. Seeing him switch back and forth between the "two" women irritated me, of course we know that Rosalind and Mercury are the same person but he doesn't so his actions got on my nerves. I was even more irritated by Rosalind's jealousy because he was attracted to Mercury, it just seemed ridiculous! That whole love triangle feel to the story was something I could really have done without. I enjoyed the sex scenes and they certainly had great chemistry but it didn't sit right with me that Rosalind hadn't been honest with him about who she really was. I think that's very much down to personal taste though & I'm sure it won't bother most people as much as it did me.

What I enjoyed most was learning more about the Nighthawks and discovering more about the plans of the humanists. I think there are going to be some very interesting developments as the story continues and I'm definitely looking forward to carrying on with the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars London Steampunk book 3, 1 Oct. 2013
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk Book 3) (Kindle Edition)

My Lady Quicksilver was a real treat, from the cover, to the story line, to the characters, there was nothing I didn't enjoy about this book. Was it perfect? No, there were some issues, but it was so entertaining and fun that I was able to look past them all.

There was so much I loved about this book. The writing was rich and the world building amazing. I got lost in this book and struggled to put it down. I think Bec McMaster has created a smart world, similar to other steampunk efforts but also completely different. I liked that humans were the subspecies to the Blue Bloods, that they had no rights and were fighting for freedom. I liked the Blue Bloods themselves, they were vampires yet not. They drank blood but vampires were something to be feared something the Blue Bloods were afraid of becoming. It was a clever and original take on the vampire which makes it stand out from all the other vampire books around.

Story wise there were a few problems, there were a couple of plot holes and a few things that didn't quite make sense. There is a lot going on in this book and so there were a couple of issues but it was so full of great action sequences, engaging drama and lovable characters that I wasn't bothered by the small issues, they did however stop me from giving this a 5 star rating.

I really loved the characters, Rosalind was just awesome. She could be really tough and fight as well as any man but she still had moments of vulnerability where she needed help. I liked how she was open to having her mind changed, how she loved her family and friends above everything else. She was prepared to die for those she loved and she had a bucket loads of courage. There was also a more feminine side to her, the side that wanted love and comfort. It was interesting seeing all these sides to her: the lover, the revolutionary, the assassin and the lady.

Jasper was just as great, like Rosa there was many layers to him. He was a leader, a protector and a gentleman. He fought for what he believed in whilst playing a dangerous political game he wanted no part in. I loved how it was he that falls the hardest in the romance, he wore his emotions on his sleeve and is clearly so desperately in love with Rosa.

The romance was suburb, I loved how the lust turned to love. They were great together. The first sex scene was blow your socks off hot but I was disappointed that it happened when Jasper still had no clue who Rosa really was. I would have liked it to have happened under different circumstances but it was still amazing.

My Lady Quicksilver is the first book I have read in the London Steampunk series but it will definitely not be the last. I really, really enjoyed this it was escapism at its finest and I cannot wait to read more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh., 1 Jan. 2014
I'm wearing my sad face at the moment because I don't want to be here giving a Bec McMaster book 2 stars. Especially directly after giving the last one I read - Heart of Iron - 5 stars. But I am so disappointed in this one!

Essentially, everything I loved about books one and two - the sweet, tortured heroes, the feisty yet soft heroines, the perfectly executed buildup of sexual tension - was missing. Both Rosa and Lynch were such different types of characters to what McMaster normally delivers. Slightly older for a start, but also both very closed off people; mistrustful of the opposite sex, jaded. I'd even go so far as to say slightly bitter. Add to that the giant deception going on with regards to Rosa's alter-ego as "Mercury" and her sneaky infiltration of Lynch's Nighthawks, and the whole thing just left me with a nasty aftertaste.

I'm not going to bang on about it, though. I'll just say this one did not do it for me as the others have, and let's say no more about it.

2 Stars ★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent addition to the series, 6 July 2014
I'm not sure why I'm surprised to say I loved this book considering how much I loved the others in this series. I Bought it ages ago and have finally come around to it and wish I hadn't waited so long. Plenty of steam and romance amidst an interesting and suspense filled storyline, a well deserved 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand, sharp and exciting! Beautifully done!, 21 Oct. 2013
I absolutely loved this one, peeps! It was everything I adore in a steampunk romance: excitement, passion, desperation, strong characters, fighting, gadgetry and mysterious masked vigilantes. It was simply delicious!

Rosalind Fairchild is a masked underground leader Mercury who is desperately trying to find her missing younger brother, Jeremy. As her last resort she decides to infiltrate infamous Nighthawks, whose leader, Lynch is tasked by the prince regent to find Mercury suspected in recent Blue Bloods bombing.

At night Rosa is a cocky, sharp and seductive Mercury who is taunting Lynch in a game of a very dangerous chase. At day she is his warm and flirtatious secretary, helping him investigate a string of recent murders among the Echelon.

Both Lynch and Rosa get so emotionally entangled with each other that at some point her deceit can't continue anymore, especially when she discovers a much larger conspiracy which would endanger everything she fought for. What she doesn't know however is that time is running out for Lynch the longer it takes for Nighthawks to catch Mercury...

Let me tell you, my dear readers, that Lynch - Rosa partnership no matter what they do is amazing. They are such strong, larger than life characters, that their passionate encounters, their thoughts, fights and their sharp dialogues can't help but make you fall in love with them.

It's also one of those epic love stories against all odds with an absolutely awesome ending. So, read the whole series. This is steampunk romance at its best and much recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the latest story, 19 Oct. 2013
This story spun off from minor characters in the previous book (like the previous one did) and it was very nicely done. A thoroughly enjoyable rump through the politics of this fantasy London and the burgeoning relationship between the blue blood rogue and his nemesis. Loved it.