on 31 August 2014
The book is great if you want to study them separately ICND1 and ICND2. If you want to study for the CCNA then you have to use both books backwards and forwards which is a little bit confusing at times. The best part of the book is it does try to teach you about understanding Networking with CCNA in mind. The bad side is it can go on and on and this can be a little bit confusing at times. This book isn't for someone in mind who wants to go through it quickly and take the exam. This book is for someone who wants to learn but not going to take it for a very long time. The only bit I don't like is there are few videos examples and no PDF (unless you wish to purchase them separately) which is a great pity because overall the book is interesting. But big bucks is what its all about and unless you haven't got much then you could end up buying the book, additional PDF (for tablets etc) and additional labs as there are very few on the dvd. The bottom line you can achieve CCNA cert but its the experience that will always count in getting that job.
on 8 February 2016
the good:
This book is the ccna BIBLE. Everything you can possibly need to learn for CCNA is in it. There are books that sometimes cover a topic superficially; this is not one of them.

the bad:
* The scope of each topic is deeper than needed for the exam. If all you're after is passing the exam, this will slow you down with unnecessary detail.
* It is incredibly difficult to read. If I made a deliberate effort to make something incomprehensible, I still wouldn't write it half as badly as this. The writing style requires reading, rereading, questioning your sanity and rereading the page again. I suffered through 300 pages of ICND2 part before I gave up and bought the damn Sybex study guide.
* Low information density. This book can be condensed into half of its size without losing any information simply by using shorter simpler sentences, less repetition and fluff. If you use a highlighter, you'll sometimes go through 10 pages only to highlight 2-3 sentences on each. Get ready to flip pages. A lot.

the ugly:
It's a cure for insomnia. If you manage to read more than a couple of pages in one go and force yourself to stay awake, you will get to see a tiny piece of your sanity ride into the sunset on a unicorn.
on 21 February 2014
If you are expecting this book to actually follow the same flow as the CCNA stuff in the Cisco Network Academy then it doesn't. If you want something that includes in depth explanations and more content than you can find on line then this is for you.
In the beginning I hated it as it didn't follow the same structure as the web site; but actually I now see that as a plus: it gives a different perspective and sometimes a clearer perspective. Sometimes it is more long winded but sometimes it provides the missing link.
To the best of my knowledge everything for the new CCNA curriculum is included here.
As for the comments about the eBook not having all of the additional content of the hardback version: I have to say I haven't really used any of the stuff on the DVD yet so I can't comment as to its usefulness: however the eBook is cheaper:)
If I'm honest if I'd read some of the chapters in this book before trying stuff in my CISCO lab then things might have gone more quickly: then again I wouldn't have had so much fun :^)
I seriously suggest you think about buying this hardback box set if you intend to study CCNA0-4 and become certified!
on 22 July 2015
These two books are a good supplement to help with passing ICND1 and 2 to get your CCNA. They cover concepts in the right depth without including too much cruft. Sections are clearly explained and provided with multiple examples and command usage. A couple of techniques for revising are also talked about at the end of each chapter along with test type questions which is helpful. To make it easier on yourself also I recommended using a a simulator or some old Cisco gear to practice unless you work somewhere that has a test rig. I found just typing in the commands helped my memory. The CD's included in the books also have a load of questions and a couple of full tests to help you practice. Not bad for the price, good luck! :)
on 18 October 2013
i am really satisfied with this transaction also i liked this book and surely it will help me pass my ccna exam . i will highly recommend it to those who are willing to take ccna exam this book is the most comprehensive book in the market it has everything you need to pass your ccna certification exams
on 17 October 2013
This is a nice and useful book however unnecessarily elaborated but as this is the recommended CCNA book so to my knowledge is best for qualifying the CCNA certification.

I would surely recommend this book.
on 4 November 2013
Excellent Book.
A very well explained book, with examples and CCNA certification exam type questions.
A must have for those who want to fully understand about networks, routing and switching.
on 29 March 2016
I brought this book to gain knowledge on the ccna exam. I have very basic networking skills and able to build small networks, however I am no " Network guru" yet. I understand a little of what the author is getting at most of the time but most of it leaves me thinking ????? What is he going on about. I have had no work experience of working on networks and I think you need at least some corporate network experience to understand this book and without a ccna you can't get that. I will buy another book about how to pass the ccna exam and keep this book for future reference for when I do pass, I will understand it. I haven't given up just yet.
on 17 March 2014
This is a very well written book. It can be used as a reading material while following the CCNA course in a classroom.

However, I do not believe that someone can just buy the book and start reading from scratch. You need to either attend a certified CCNA course or ask friends with experience in networking. There will be areas where the book or similar materials found at the internet will not be sufficient to answer difficult questions.

Apart from the above, all the areas in the book are well explained in details with and examples, pictures and figures. The questions are similar to the real exam questions.
on 30 October 2013
Rating it 5 because both books are very well written, and easy to understand for beginners in network. I would recommend to anyone wanting to go into networking and preparing for CCNA.