Format: DVD|Change

on 22 December 2014
Neither series is particularly frightening. Series 1 starts creepy, but it morphs into a cross between Desperate Housewives and The Addams Family. Series 2 goes larger on gore but it's honestly difficult to understand how you can set a story in a rundown asylum populated by nuns and NOT have it end up scary. Quite an achievement there.

If you want an all out fear assault on the senses this probably isn't it. Nothing like as frightening, for instance, as The Woman in Black but the absence of outright terror allows the storylines and underlying humour to dominate, which is fine by me.

Series 1 starts well and then begins to drag a little ("not ANOTHER murder...") whereas series 2 starts slowly and picks up momentum as it goes forward, with a strong last couple of episodes. Series 1 is focused on the house, its occupants and their backstories which are conventionally bloody and generally infused with black humour somewhere along the line. Favorite episode was the Black Dahlia which was cleverly done and initiated some post-episode googling.

Series 2 has less black humour and some fairly disparate threads but some of them really go nowhere which was a bit frustrating. You can either attribute this to a commendable sense of mystery or a chaotic approach to plotting. Take your pick, but I think they probably just about get away with it.

The acting is good, notably Jessica Lange who is immense in both series, but particularly the second one, and I rather liked the idea of using essentially the same cast each time, though in different roles.

Am I glad I bought it? Yes, probably. But I doubt if I'll watch it again and I didn't like it enough to buy into series 3 and 4, so it's back to Nordic Noir for me...!
on 8 December 2013
I urge anyone to buy this TV boxset. It will be money well spent. Each season has a different storyline, setting and back-drop, but has all the same actors and actresses. Don't feel that this will be confusing. It's not. You fall in love with the actors, and are eager to see what new characters they play in the next season. American Horror Story is not necessarily scream out loud horror, as it is more creepy and uses suspense to scare you. Most of all, Jessica Lange is outstanding, and you will fall in love with her from day 1 of watching this show. MUST HAVE!!!!
i found American Horror Story a real surprise package.
I admittedly started from a low expectation point and found myself hooked on this excellent drama.
Firstly it is a proper horror show, with some genuine spine tingling moments.
Next the stories are really rather good. this is very well written.
The direction is taut and the acting superb.
I am not going to include spoilers, if you haven't seen the show you will probably enjoy it more not knowing what's coming next.
That is, when all said and done the point of horror, the unexpected.
Horrible, but in a really good way.
on 10 February 2014
Really really good series, especially if you're into psychological "horror". Second season definitely more scary than the first but both seasons full of excitement and shocking surprises. Would recommend to anyone.
on 25 January 2014
This set is great, good price and perfect quality. Brand new, would be a great present. The show is quite scary and chilling, but still really enjoyable and intriguing.
on 21 November 2013
I bought this on the recommendation from an american friend, and boy oh boy am i glad i did. Each episode is more gripping than the last. Well acted, violent and dripping in black comedy this is my favourite U.S tv series since twin peaks! Looks and sounds great on blu ray too! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on 3 December 2014
both seasons are absolutely incredible, they are dark and any sex scenes are done just right, not too much flesh and leaving something to imagination. Raunchy sex scenes do nothing but ruin the show for me. The story-telling and the way it is filmed just captures me for both seasons and Jessica Lange is just incredible especially as sister Jude the character really captured me and I became so enthused with all the characters from both seasons I couldn't stop watching. I love the depths of darkness this show goes and shows no matter how bad or good someone seems that there is a little of both in everybody. I can't wait to watch season 3 it has now become one of my favorite shows behind only supernatural and the originals.
on 25 December 2013
I must admit I am not a fan of horrors at all! My friend introduced this to me as I had just started watching Bates motel, a prequel to Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCO (another great recommendation) and i watched thew first episode and wasn't too keen, however I continued and fell in love with this. The first season American Horror Story: Murder House is in my opinion the best one that out of them so far. I enjoyed the story line very much and can't sing its praises higher. If you love horrors, this is great of you. If you hate horrors (like me) this is great to actually help yourself into the genre as honestly the series is a work of art! I'm currently watching Season 2 which is American Horror Story: Asylum which is the darkest of them so far. I'm not overly keen, because i get scared super easily, so a word of warning season 2 episode 5 is probably the scariest it will get, however the show doesn't fail and is still amazing in the second season. I am currently waiting for season 3 names American Horror Story: Coven to continue as it starts in January 2014, but as i said before, none of these seasons have failed and manage to deliver amazing, thoughtful story lines.

The whole concept of American Horror Story is presented amazingly. The writers and producers behind this are truly amazing (the writers also came up with GLEE...... this is nothing like glee though.....) seriously i can't begin to tell anyone that reads this how amazing it is... BUY, BUY,BUY!

WARNING, IT IS VERY ADDICTIVE SO BEWARE.
on 20 January 2014
Absolutely cracking dvds, gripping to watch and i like how most of the actors and actresses are in both series :-) really enjoyable and id love a tour of the horror house LOL
on 15 February 2014
I very much enjoyed American horror story as I'm a big fan of lots of blood it has a really good story which you can follow easy the acting is outstanding from all the cast especially Jessica lange I would recommend this series but I gave it a 4 star as I much prefered the 2 series.