4.0 out of 5 stars Baby monitor
Bought this item to monitor our 1 year old granddaughter when she stays with us. Easy to set up , only took a few minutes to register details and but the software on the iPhone and iPad . Works well
Published 8 months ago by A K Pashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Great in theory, a bit ropey in practice
There is a propensity for trying to control everything with an iPhone or iPad these days and a lot of them just seem to do it for gimmick value. The BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (also known as the WeMo Baby from Belkin, who obviously make this version for BT) bucks this trend as it is actually pretty useful.

The principal advantage is that not only can both my...
Published 15 months ago by R. Stevens

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great in theory, a bit ropey in practice, 22 Aug 2013
R. Stevens (Woking) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The principal advantage is that not only can both my wife and I can have a receiver at the same time (our previous monitor only came with one) we don't have to carry anything extra to do so. The monitor itself is small and quite discrete and connecting your phone to it is actually pretty simple (it is almost the equivalent of connecting your phone to your Wi-Fi router, with a couple of extra steps).

If you're in the room with the monitor and you don't want everyone listening in on you, you can just tap the top to mute it. You can also control who's able to listen in from all the connected devices via a control panel in the app.

Of more dubious value, you can also monitor your baby's room from anywhere with an Internet connection. The only use I can see for this is to "spy" on your nanny, as anything that might happen when you're, for example, in the office is obviously out of your control.

Once the theory and benefits are covered, weaknesses quickly appear.

Firstly, the app that you use to listen in on the monitor appears to be showing its age a little, not working properly on my iPad. It also crashed a LOT when we first got started, though after updating the firmware on the monitor things appear to be a little more stable. It still crashes often and some features still don't work consistently, such as the option to add your baby's photo to the monitor screen.

The second item is the sound quality, which is pretty poor for an audio-only monitor. There's a noise cancelling feature which essentially sets the minimum noise level required before it gets sent to your iPhone (eliminating some of the hiss you'll hear through the monitor). This has the effect of the sound cutting in and out as you listen, which can be as distracting as the hiss it is there to get rid of. Audio filtering technology is better than this and a better system should be included in the app.

The third, somewhat shocking, disappointment is finding that some of the features of the app require a subscription fee to be paid. Fortunately they're not all that interesting, basically giving statistics on when and for how long your baby cries, so you don't miss not having them, but an annoying discovery all the same since it is not in the product description.

Finally, using the monitor is obviously going to impact your phone's battery consumption, so you'll need to be prepared to charge up more often than before. Using it via 3G is going to eat into your data allowance too.

There are some features that I really miss compared to our classic monitor that I hadn't thought I would; you don't get a thermometer to warn if the baby's room gets too hot or cold, you don't get a talk-back feature to try and calm your baby and there's no night light or lullaby features.

We went to my mother-in-law's house for a few days and it seemed like a good idea to take the Smart Baby Monitor with us, as it is small and doesn't require extra monitors. Switching Wi-Fi network is not something planned for in the app apparently, so I had to factory reset the monitor and re-install the app to get everything connected again.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed with this monitor. It seems to do the absolute minimum for a baby monitor, only adding the iPhone as a more practical listening device. I am especially disappointed by the BabyAudio app itself, which could have provided a much better experience and a more compelling set of (free to use) features. For the price I'm hard pressed to recommend it, but since it does what it claims I won't recommend avoiding it either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time/money. It's not worth a single penny!, 21 Sep 2014
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
Bought one of these from a reputable highstreet retailer this morning. first one was packed in the box and returned as I believed there to be something faulty with it. After getting the second one hone, I gave the instructions a good read and followed everything to the letter. I ended up connecting to my LAN, and then was supplied with a message "unable to connect to cloud service". I factory resetted and started all over. To no avail.

Basically, this thing is hopeless. I'm not an IT novice. Far from it - I've worked in IT through various guises for 16 years. This thing is hopeless.

I did a bit of further searching, and it appears this is a rebranded wemo (belkin) device. probably safe to not bother purchasing that either - although i don't have first hand knowledge of that particular product. Would i trust my son's life with this thing? Abso-bloody-lutely NOT!

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not reliable enough, 20 April 2014
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
The idea behind this wifi baby monitor is good. The base unit connects to your home wireless network and any specified mobile device ie phone or tablet acts as the receiving device. If you keep your phone charged then it means not worrying about batteries and is convenient to carry around. If everything worked flawlessly then I would rate this a five star product.

Connecting the mains powered base unit to our home wifi network has proven temperamental on a number of occasions, luckily this is not something that needs repeating often. Initial setup requires the downloaded app and setting your phone/ tablet to log on the the base unit's own mini wireless network, from here you provide the details of your home wireless network. Once your phone/ tablet is back on your home network the app should find the baby monitor and allow you to start listening.

The app is fairly intuitive and allows you to show an uploaded photo of your baby in the screen centre. When listening you can see a noise bar and there is the reassurance of background noise so you know it is working. The app contains additional functions such as texting & emailing when your baby cries or monitoring crying patterns. Some of these features require a dedicated subscription which was not cheap by phone app standards so we did not try them.

Our issue with this system is the phone/ tablet or base unit losing the network connection. This happens far too frequently and is by far the most unreliable device on our home network. It is not uncommon for the phone/ tablet to not find the base unit whilst everything else, including other applications on the same device work fine. Dropped connections often do not trigger an alert so the only way of knowing things are working is the hiss of background noise.

Other applications have switched off the monitoring app without warning eg music and receiving a phone call have both done this.

We have tested this over a 7 month period to date. We have moved house, changed broadband providers and upgraded a phone so this has been tested in a few situations: O2 Wireless box, BT Home hub 4, BT Home hub 5 routers and receiving devices were iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5s, iPad 2, iPad 3. Reliability has been consistently less than ideal.

Overall this works 90% of the time but that is not good enough if you are relying on it for your little one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish please read before you buy, 8 Nov 2014
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
I would strongly advise giving this one a miss. Since ios8 update on iPhone this item is a ornament, it has over the last 2 days just started to connect again after being useless for like 3 to 4 weeks,I have contacted BT several times over the issues but as usual with BT they are worse than useless themselves, so buy at your peril, the unit does now connect via iPhone/iPad but keeps dropping connection I hope my review stops people from spending hard earned cash on this item. STAR RATING HAS TO BE A WOPPING MINUS 5,

1.0 out of 5 stars No longer works with iOS8 which renders product useless., 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
Would love to give this device a proper review, however it does not work with iOS 8 (app crashes upon opening) therefore unable to actually test it!

I have had no response from BT or manufacturer Evoz on whether there will be an update, the only response was that the product is discontinued. This can only lead me to believe that they will not be updating the app and, as the only way to listen to your baby from the device, this renders it useless.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok but intermittent., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
We bought this as have two iPhones. Works ok. Annoyingly you must reset in current location (home) before taking away for the weekend (ie grandparents house). So was as useful as a chocolate teapot when we just unplugged and packed it for the weekend. We actually get on better with an iPhone app that works with two iPhones as a video monitor (iSitter), but the downside of that is you need to leave one phone with the baby

4.0 out of 5 stars Baby monitor, 31 Mar 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty average, 26 Sep 2013
Steven Brown (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this as really liked the idea of monitoring my son using a smart phone, just seems to make more sense than having another monitor lying around.

This does the job really nicely - very easy to set up, looks the part and is generally pretty good.

However, it is limited in some ways - main points being, no temp sensor (useful for babies), no 2 way audio (useful for older kids). For younger kids I think it's hard to see past something with a movement sensor, and if you're spending this cash for a really young baby, something like the Angelcare AC401 Baby Movement Sensor Pad and Sound Monitor and Sound Monitor for less than this seems a far better option.

1.0 out of 5 stars With my old iPhone the connection was always poor. It would take forever to connect and sometimes ..., 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
Not compatible with iPhone 6. With my old iPhone the connection was always poor. It would take forever to connect and sometimes it wouldn't at all. Shame as it is a good idea and I like the look of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and must have for all parents who use smart phones / tablets, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White) (Baby Product)
I bought this product wondering if this was the past of carrying around a baby monitor and my phone all the time and i was right! Fantastic product by BT it works almost immediately out of the box and the sync between the app (downloadable for free) and the unit is seamless and easy.

We have always used BT baby monitors and thankfully we did again and this product has not disappointed. Also range is exellent and as it works over WIFI and Internet it is good to monitor the little one wherever we are.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

BT Smart Audio Baby Monitor (White)