Rossini: Semiramide
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£16.49

on 8 July 2013
I fell in love with this opera the first time I heard it years ago on the old Decca set with Joan Sutherland and Marilyn Horne. Since then, I've been waiting for a completely satisfying recording of this score. I'll have to continue to wait, but this recording is nearly there. This performance uses the critical edition prepared by Philip Gosset and Alberto Zedda. As a point of comparison, it plays nearly an hour longer than the edition Richard Bonynge prepared for his wife. A piano vocal score based on the critical edition has not yet been published. I followed the recording with a copy of the Royal Edition piano vocal score edited by Arthur Sullivan and J. Pittman, published in the late 19th century. (A reproduction of this score is printed by Kalmus). The version performed appears to be substantially the same as the vocal score, only with a few recitatives that were deleted from the published score. All the singers take some tasteful variations in their repeats. I chose the word "variation" rather than "ornamentation" deliberately. There are a few extra notes added, but, for the most part, the repeated passages are sung with a somewhat simplified vocal line.

This is my first experience of the voice of Alex Penda. Having listened to the recording twice, I'm still puzzling over my reaction to it. I think "exciting" is the best word, even if excitement comes at a price. Sometimes the sound is not pretty and occasionally the coloratura may owe more to intent than to execution, but she hurls herself in to the part with an abandon that's quite thrilling. Her extensive use of chest voice may not be wise, though it certainly creates a powerful effect. Whilst listening to her Semiramide, I was often reminded of the way in which the young Elena Soulioutis attacked the part of Verdi's Abigaille. I hope Miss Penda's career will be of greater length than that of Miss Soulioutis.

Marianna Pizzolato is a fine Arsace, but no one will ever erase my memories of Marilyn Horne in this role. (I had the pleasure of seeing her perform this part on stage many years ago.) John Osborn dashes off the part of Idreno with both limpid tone and panache. The two basses have all the notes and lots of presence. I found the tone of Lorenzo Ragazzo (Assur) to be a bit dry and vibrato-laden. Andrea Mastroni's voice is juicier and more pleasing in the part of Oroe.

Orchestra and chorus are both good. The conducting is best described as reliable. The sound quality has the same boxy constriction I've noticed in other recordings form the Rossini in Wildbad series. It may be a limitation of the acoustic of the theatre.

The only other recording I've heard that uses the critical edition of the score is the now-deleted Philips recording curiously conducted by Ion Marin. This boasts an excellent cast that includes Cheryl Studer's fine rendition of the title role, as well as Jennifer Larmore, Samuel Ramey and Frank Lopardo. However, it suffers from erratic conducting and an odd sound. Philips recorded this in "4D" sound -- an effort that was soon abandoned just had Decca had tried and dropped "quadraphonic" sound 40 years ago. The result is that at times some of the voices get consigned to the background when played on conventional stereo equipment or on headphones.

I see that a recording from the Vlaamse Opera, conducted by Alberto Zedda, has recently been released. I presume this, too, uses the critical edition, but I have yet to hear it. I probably won't wait too long. In the meantime . . .

The recording under review receives my qualified recommendation. I certainly enjoyed it and I know that I'll listen to it many more times. So, give it a try. At the bargain price, you won't be out much if you don't like it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 July 2013
This recording is so much exciting and committed than either the Sutherland/ Bonynge or the Studer/Marin and I think that's directly the result of the fact that it's taken from live performances. I'm not always a fan of live recordings but in this case it pays real dividends. Instead of treating this opera as a series of vocal set pieces, the singers and musicians actually gets involved with the drama and (unlike the Marin) this recording convinced me at least that the opera can be performed effectively in its uncut nearly four hour form. Recommended.

Well worth seeking out is the 1980 live recording from France conducted by Jesus Lopez-Cobos. The sound is ropey and it's heavily cut but Caballe, Horne and Ramey are at the top of their game. Maybe there's something about this apparently sedate opera that needs live performance to ignite it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 September 2013
As already the possessor of 5 recordings of this opera,I approached this one with a little trepidation as I wondered whether it would live up to my expectations. I should not have had worried as it has a fine cast of singers in all the roles. The four principals make as great an impact dramatically as vocally and in the case of Alex Penda in the title role of Semiramide becomes something very special indeed.She has great fire and temperament which fly off the disc I defy anyone to find her less than exciting.Compare her for example to Sutherland or Guberova both great singers but who make little of the role dramatically. Nice to hear Lorenzo Regazzo as Assur and Marianne Pizzolato in the role of Arsace. Both fully inside their parts and very convincing.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 February 2015
100% satisfaction
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...