5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've read on the subject!
I'd class myself as a beginner in the field of Web Design, but I've been dabbling for over a year and have collected a small library relating to this topic. My other books fall into three categories: a). too complex b). too simple or c). strong in one area and sketchy in others. This book covers all the bases and takes you through all the stages from initial Planning and...
Published on 1 Sept. 2011 by GreekGirl

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Average
This book is very good, and for beginners. I did find however it was more about the theory of constructing of a web site, rather than construction of the site itself.
Although a good read, the book was not detailed enough for me, nor did it include the level of code examples required for me to pass BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma courses, try "HTML & CSS: Design...
Published 22 months ago by Oliver

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one Web Design book, this is the one., 16 Aug. 2011
I have purchased many books since the creation of my first website in 1996. Finally a book comes into my hands that solves many of the problems most people have with web design books.

1. Clear and precise
2. Interesting and informative
3. Answers many questions in an easy to understand way.
4. Good to recommend
5. This is the book all website owners should have on their desk.

There are two types of website owners, The first is the DIY type, who will find the book very useful. The second type has contracted the design to a friend or outside agency. Armed with this book, now you know what they are talking about, and can be much more involved in the final result.

This is my first review, because I think the book is worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginners' guide, 30 Oct. 2012
I bought this to refresh my memory about website design. I have a lot of experience with HTML4 and I was looking to get back into coding, but with HTML5 and more CSS. This book is far too simple for me, but for an absolute beginner up to "familiar but not confident", it is exceptionally good. I'm sure I'll be lending it to friends!

The layout is very clear and it is carefully written in a non-patronising style. There are chapters that deal with many aspects of design and layout that would not be obvious to the everyday web user, but that make complete sense when you think about your experience of good and bad sites. It beats the HTML4 in 24 hours that was my guide for many years.

It was of particular interest, once I'd scan-read the first few chapters, when I got to the social networking, blog and shopping sections. Dotted through the whole book were bits and pieces of information that I haven't kept up with (bonus points for these).

You can't go wrong with this book, unless you are already competent, then I'd recommend HTML & CSS design and build websites.HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites. I bought both - but you don't need both!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 28 Oct. 2012
This book is by no means a fully comprehensive look at how to build your own website. But it well get you off the ground in HTML/CCS programming and looking for the best hosts sites etc. It's beautifully detailed, the full colored pages make it easy on the eye, and is all round a great way to get you started.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but not very well designed for Kindle, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Web Design In Easy Steps (Kindle Edition)
I liked the content - nice, easy to understand (I'm a complete beginner!) and links to where you could practice. But there was no way to navigate to a particular chapter on a kindle, and there were lots of unnecessary pictures which broke up the text. I would recommend buying the book rather than the e-book.

5.0 out of 5 stars admirably clear and up-to-date, 8 Oct. 2011
I give WEB DESIGN 5 stars because it lives up to its own description. It really does tell you all you need to know to guide you - including if attempting your own design from scratch. It is a hard task to present such information well in a field which is changing at such a dizzying pace, but this book succeeds in that. It is affordable too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted..., 26 Feb. 2012
G. Walker (UK) - See all my reviews
If you want a one-stop guide to everything you need for establishing your web presence, then look no further. This book is packed with solid advice, excellent, easy-to-follow technical overviews, and enough coverage of code and mark-up to get you started. But it is probably at its most useful if you are using a WYSIWYG editor to build your own site, or retaining the services of a professional designer. The presentation is first-rate, the writing clear and accessible and the author neither treats you as an idiot or as a geek-in-the-making. When, in the past, I have bought similar books I have generally not been entirely happy. This is the first one where I have felt I have struck pure gold. And it's not too long or too expensive. Very highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but, 7 Jan. 2013
B. D. Kneller (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is very general and gives you a comprehensive but very high level overview addressing all the major issues. If you are looking for a detailed nuts and bolts type of book this is not for you

5.0 out of 5 stars Even easier than easy steps, 9 Jan. 2012
I'm not a great one for learning from books but these guys have got it right; very easy to read and follow - but better still to reference or go back to at a later date. Perhaps most importantly, you don't have to hit is as one hard slog. Really worth every one of the full 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Jun. 2013
Goes through everything you need to know as a Web Developer. I only recently got into this as this was suggested by a member of staff at my old college. I knew it would be great as he told me it was written by a friend of one of my lecturers who was also a very good in various ways...

Whether you want to learn, HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, or anything else - you look further than Web Design In Easy Steps 5th Edition by Sean McManus, CHEAPER THAN WH SMITHS when I bought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars University Module - I needed help and got it!, 11 Mar. 2013
I bought this as I was having trouble in and Web Design module in university, and I am extremely happy with the purchase.

The In Easy Steps series provides easy to follow and understand examples and code that teaches you the basics and more of how to do a large range of things I was being asked to complete, and more.

Web Design In Easy Steps