5.0 out of 5 stars Daysider
I enjoyed this book & I hope there is another book to this nightsider s series I will look forward to read them
Published 15 months ago by Joyce McCaffrey

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't work for me
Daysider. Susan Krinard.

ARC supplied by Netgalley.

Published 14 months ago by Jeannie Zelos

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't work for me, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Daysider (Mills & Boon Nocturne) (Nightsiders - Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Daysider. Susan Krinard.

ARC supplied by Netgalley.

I love fantasy and especially vampire romance novels. I had some trouble starting this book though, the world introduced is typically dystopian, and as the environment and people are so different I had to keep referring back to see what the characteristics of the different types of people were, and exactly which side each belonged to. It was a work of suspense and adventure where Dhampire Alexia Fox is sent out on a covert mission with another person, and she meets Damon, a vampire, but of the type known as Darketan. Various things happen and Alexia ends up teamed with Damon, and her partner has gone off alone. It's part of a plan they've come up with not trusting Damon, but it has repercussions beyond that which they envisaged.
For much of the early part of the novel the only characters are Alexia and her partner Michael. I thought that this would have allowed me to get to "know" them, but I never really felt I did that. Michael remained an enigma to me, and I couldn't feel any kind of empathy for Alexia. I don't know why - but it did mean that the novel never really took off for me. I did like Damon, what I knew of him, and he seemed, ironically, the most trust worthy of the three to me. There's lots of trickery and double dealing, and I got to the place where my gut was trusting Damon but I really hadn't a clue who else was telling the truth, and what was actually happening as opposed to the versions told by various others we met. The first half of the novel really doesn't seem to have much occurring, Michael and Alexia go into the Zone, a sort of neutral no mans (or vampires) land. They meet Damon as I said earlier, and other than scouting back and forth, and being attacked by unknown others there doesn't seem to be much real action, or anything relevant progressing the story . There's lots going on but it doesn't move the story forward for me.
Sadly this is a novel that hasn't worked for me, I was just too uninterested in what happened to the various factions. There's lots of double dealing and betrayals, a smattering of romance and a big reveal at the end, but it all left me unmoved. Its just not the sort of novel I enjoy - but then I don't like Pratchett, Eddings, Rowling, Showalter etc. and yet millions of readers love them. Its an example of a good, well written book but one that simply doesn't resonate for me. That doesn't mean others won't like it - thankfully we all want different things and that leads to a fantastic selection of novels and inevitable some will appear to be ones we'd like but in reality not work out. My rating is personal, based on my enjoyment - others will form a different view.
It contains 368 pages for £4.74 on kindle, a good lengthy read and another reason I thought I'd enjoy it. Its such a different world with so many types of character that a shorter novel wouldn't allow any understanding of them. It needs to be that length, I'm just sad it didn't work for me :( On my VFM scale its good value, and for those who enjoy it and re-read as I do with favourite novels it works out a bargain.
Stars: just two sadly, I just didn't like it - a reflection on how it fits - or doesn't - my taste though and not on the book itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daysider, 26 Aug 2013