4.3 out of 5 stars3,545
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 29 April 2013
This is a brilliant book. Awesome. A unique theme very well written. Keeps you guessing right to the bitterweet end. I really couldn't put this book down - make sure you read it in one sitting, you will need to. The story is about Rachel, the central character, and how she comes to terms with how her life changes, and how it affcts those close to her, following a devastating accident. The plot and the characters are really well constructed and I didn't want this book to end. More please from Dany Atkins. At 78p on Kindle it is a shame that this book is not being very heavily promoted. Found it by accident, would have happily paid full price for it and the lack of promotion and the price does not do the author justice.
33 comments|246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2013
I've been looking for a new contemporary romance to read (after ploughing through a lot of pretty sub-par erotica) and came across this novel. I am SO GLAD I FOUND IT.

This is a fantastic debut set in England, telling the story of Rachel, whose life is torn apart after a tragic accident. Five years later, she ends up returning to Great Bishopsford, where she used to live, but a fall lands her in hospital. Waking up she learns her life seems to have fractured - and everything that she thought had happened since the accident never took place. Instead she's in a world where everything is completely different . . . including her fiancé.

This book has everything - genuine, likeable characters and fantastic dialogue (with some definite laugh-out-loud moments), as well as a heartbreaking love triangle at the centre. I can't recommend this enough - but beware of reading the ending in public. I did NOT see it coming and it blew me away!
0Comment|154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2014
highly recommended I loved every single page, consistent pace that moves along fast enough to want more yet not too quick that you get confused. a brilliant story by a talented writer one of the best novels I've read to date can't wait for the next book.
on 30 April 2013
Very intriguing book - couldn't put it down! Finished it in two readings, look forward to reading more from this author.
on 29 October 2015
I read Dani Atkins second novel, The Story of Us, before reading Fractured and thought it was excellent. I was looking forward to reading Fractured, her debut novel, as I was sure it would be equally good, however I was a little disappointed. The characters are bland and boring, the plot is good but the story just didn't engage me in the way The Story of Us did. The formula seems to echo the second novel too: woman being chased by two men and torn between them, an engagement, a fiance with wounded pride, infidelity. However, in The Story of Us, the novel feels more polished - in Fractured there are a lot of loose ends and it seems much more amateurish in general. Key characters seem to just disappear from the story towards the end and most of the story seems to be centred around Rachel tracing her "lost" life, where no one knows who she is. It all becomes very tedious. The ending is good though, and cleverly done, and that is the only thing that prevented me from awarding this book two stars.

In short, I am glad I read Ms Atkins' second novel first and I will read her next novel, but Fractured is definitely not her best.
on 4 March 2014
I decided to read this book after reading the reviews. My usual genre is Crime/Thriller and I felt like reading a book without any murders to solve for once :) The idea of parallel lives interested me and I must say I was drawn into the story immediately. Without spoiling the story the book explores two scenarios, two sets of events in the lives of a group of friends who experience an accident together - life could go one way.......... or another !!!! The stories are linked but very cleverly kept separate with no misunderstandings as to which life you are reading about at a particular time. I like the main character, she seemed very believable - all the characters did in fact. I read the book in three big chunks! It did turn out to be quite a page turner. I couldn't imagine how the author would tie everything up at the end - but she did and very well too. I will be looking out for more from Dani.
A terrible accident has changed everything for Rachel. She was in a steady relationship, had a nice group of friends and was about to study journalism after the summer. What began as a lovely evening has turned her whole life upside down. Rachel is feeling insecure, she tries to hide from her friends and family and five years later she's still a mess. Then something happens to her and she wakes up in another life, one without the terrible impact of the accident. It looks like Rachel has been given a second chance.

Fractured is a beautiful story. It's very well written and surprising. I was hooked from the first page and couldn't put it down. I did need tissues and I'm not going to explain why, because then I would spoil this wonderful story for everyone who wants to read it. Fractured is a novel that's filled with hope and dreams. I didn't expect to get so much in return for such a bargain price. This is an amazing read and I can't recommend it enough!
on 11 February 2015
I saw this book on a First Reads giveaway and thought that the plot sounded interesting and unlike anything I've read before. I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book and I chose to read it in December for a Christmas reading challenge, as the book has snow on the cover. Although most of the book is set in December, and a few pages mention Christmas, this isn't a Christmas book;it's so much more.

I was drawn in from the first page of this book. It starts off on the night of the accident, and it was emotional from the very start, as Rachel loses her best friend. Although Rachel has a boyfriend, you can tell that there's something between her and her best friend Jimmy from the first page.
Rachel's life after losing Jimmy was miserable. She lived in a tiny London flat, working as an Administrator for an Engineering company, a far cry from her dream job as a journalist. Rachel suffers severe headaches, caused by the accident five years earlier, and after a visit to her home town, she suffers a fall. When she wakes up, she finds her life is so much better than she remembers, and when Jimmy appears in her hospital room, she can't believe what she's seeing.

I read several of the pages too fast in this book, as I was so desperate for Rachel to find solace, and I had to go back a few times to re-read certain sections. I found myself really connecting with Rachel; she was in such a terrible situation that I just wanted a happy ending for her, and I had many late nights reading this book until I just couldn't keep my eyes open any more.

The connection between Rachel and Jimmy is beautiful. Although this book is described as a love story, and a large of it is certainly a love story, there was so much more to this story than just romance. It was filled with tragedy, heartbreak, happiness, hope, despair, and everything in between. There were times while I was reading this, as it often happens with stories with an element of mystery, that I had a guess at the outcome of Rachel's predicament. However, all of my guesses were wrong, and the ending was a big shock. This is definitely one of those books that will stay with me for a long time, and although I managed to avoid waterworks, it was a close call, so do keep your tissues nearby
on 21 July 2013
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish and the more I read the less I could put it down. My eyes filled with tears as I was finishing the book, I wasn't expecting this ending although it may be obvious to others. Would definitely recommend this book to anyone and an absolute bargain at 99p.
on 15 July 2014
Fractured was an enjoyable read. The plot is not as original as some have suggested, I can think of a major film and TV series (different stories) over the past 15 years that have used a similar plot device. That said this does have its own individual twist, which was very well put together. Generally the structure and development of the plot were good but the the characters lacked depth and the research needed more care, particularly when issues of mental health are discussed. There were also errors in the characters timelines ( eg. promotion to police inspector in 5 years ! ) and the progress of the story (driving to one destination and arriving at another) which should surely have been picked up during editing. There was something that kept pulling me along, wanting to find out how the plot resolved so hence 3 stars.