5.0 out of 5 stars Very good range - just watch how you unbox it!
I'll keep this short: living in a reasonably sized semi-detached, with thick walls, I have a few wifi dead spots (and no chance of getting a signal in the garden!).

Originally, I bought an Airport Express to extend the existing network - this enabled me to get a reasonable signal in the garden, but there were still a few dead spots or areas that were...
Published 12 months ago by Raymond Birch

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, potentially fast, but disappointing range for my purpose
I bought this to replace an old D-Link router (DSL-G624M) that I had been using to extend my home wireless to my office in the house next door. The old router is able to do this, achieving a fairly stable connection but with a significant drop in signal strength and speed. I was hoping that the new AirPort Extreme would be an improvement in terms of speed, range and...
Published 8 months ago by Hawfinch

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple just works, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Apple 802.11AC Airport Extreme (Launched June 2013) (Accessory)
They really do. Bought to replace an older gen Extreme. This is much faster when connected to compatible AC wireless devices like the new iMacs, Minis and the Pro when released. As easy as it gets to set up when connecting to Apple products and probably others too though not tried that. Aesthetics are typically Apple excellence as is build quality. Not cheap but totally frustration free so for me well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 17 Nov 2013
My BT Hub 3 router was ok but you get what you pay for. I've been a Mac user for 35 years but I'd reached the stage with HS Fibre Optics, that my system demanded more. So after reading endless reviews, some good some poor, I took the plunge. I have four Macs using Airport and for the first time I could sit with my MacBookPro at 60 feet away in the garden and still get a very good signal. It runs cool, which is good. Setup was a bit tricky but there's loads of advice on You Tube. I was over the moon, however, with the facility to stream music from one end of the bungalow to the other and into an Airport Express linked into the phono sockets of my Quad 44 pre-amp. I can now play my entire music collection onto my hi-fi system, unfortunately making my cd player somewhat redundant. The Apple 802.11AC is the best gear I've bought in recent months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 4 Nov 2013
G. Harrop - See all my reviews
With some trepidation ,I decided to upgrade from an earlier model.I was unsure that it would be worth the expense and hassle.however the transfer went very smoothly, the app on my mac detected the new model and offered to transfer the settings and it was no hassle. Performance wise I have seen a very noticeable speed increase an stronger signal throughout the house,I have a a couple of airport express for use with a humax and some speakers.the furthest one away from the unit used to drop out every now and again, but now it shows a strong signal. Overall I am very pleased I did upgrade.i use airplay a lot via Apple TV and the expresses and have seen improvements there too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, 2 Nov 2013
Improved performance over my older Airport Extreme. The increase in transmit power and the use of beam forming translates to greater range in my situation.

The smaller footprint is nice although being much taller I've had to site it elsewhere.

Integrated PSU is a plus, much tidier. Also there is no noise when it's in use - previous versions you could hear the high pitched whine when under load (depending on your hearing of course)

As always, another ethernet port would have been useful. The latest Airport configuration utility works well but as is the trend, the power user options aren't there anymore eg setting each band's radio config separately. SNMP support has also been dropped, annoying if you like to monitor your hardware.

As mentioned by other reviewers, it's very easy to drop it when opening the box! Open it over a bed or couch - you have been warned!

My last Airport Extreme worked solidly with no resets required, this one looks to continue the tradition with increased performance. Just setup and forget, it just works :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great styling, 29 Oct 2013
Works superbly with the new Iphone 5S (802.11ac) and hopefully will with the Ipad airs when they come out. Slightly tricky to set up for inexperienced apple users, but if you know your way around, then ideal. Very pretty on the shelf as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bad apple?, 31 July 2014
I would love to give this a better review but for the money I am not convinced. I have a BT Home Hub and a 4 bed detached house (am not bragging, just trying to give you idea of size of house) and in some areas I get blank spots with Wi-Fi. I bought this to boost the signal and am not convinced it has made much difference... I have a lot of Apple products and I think the issue is that this seems to not like certain websites and limits your access (my wife's work intranet for example, which she can access fine off the BT Home Hub).. its a shame as its a lovely looking product and I am a big Apple advocate, just not sure with this one..

5.0 out of 5 stars Airport Extreme for imac, 13 Aug 2014
The Airport Extreme replaced my very hot running Tecnicolor 582n. After setting the router in the H-Squared Air Mount (available from amazon), set-up took around 10 minutes with a software update. Performance wise, the download speed remains the same at 34mbps and the upload has increased from 7mbps to 9.22 mbps. Even though the download speed remains the same, in practice it is running faster, with web pages opening far quicker. My wife has also noticed a improvement on her iPad Air, with web pages opening faster. Being a mac user for over 22 years, I would say that if you are running macs, then this is an excellent choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 Sep 2013
The setup process of this device is incredible. Fire it up, launch the companion app on iOS or Mac and you can select from simple to use options. I was given the choice of upgrading my existing extreme to this one as a one click upgrade, I chose to extend the network. Literally a couple of clicks and done.

Repositioned it upstairs and worked perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust and reliable wifi, easy to install, but a bit more expensive than other wifi hubs., 14 Aug 2014
A bit more expensive than other makes but as I have a mix of Apple and non-Apple devices this is only to be expected. Package a bit OTT. Easy to install and very reliable so far.

The BT home hub ("most reliable wifi in the country"), was dropping out all the time, requiring a restart of the hub. The hub now only provides the broadband (ADSL) connection and the airport provides wifi.

Easy to install and hasn't needed to be reset since I installed it a couple of months ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Ethernet ports please, 31 July 2014
Neat simplistic styling, easy to set up with AirPort app which gives diagnostics. Note this is a router only and does not have a modem and there is no PPPoA support which is used for ADSL. Perfect for use with FTTC (PPPoE) though. Only 3 LAN (Ethernet) ports which is a bit mean. Airplay can be terrible at times, but a reboot of the Airplay devices seems to work. Even worked with the microwave oven on, which the previous router failed to do.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›