5.0 out of 5 stars Form and function...
Published 11 months ago by S Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Broke, but replaced
So I spent a lot of money upgrading to a Time Capsule.
It setup easily and Time Machine started doing backups.

However, a few days ago, Time Machine warned me that it hadn't done a backup in weeks.
It looked like the password to the disk had been forgotten, so I reset it and I could browse the backups. I left Time Machine backing up.
This morning...
Published 17 months ago by Gav

5.0 out of 5 stars Form and function..., 15 April 2014
This review is from: Apple 802.11AC 2TB Airport Time Capsule (Launched June 2013) (Accessory)
The Apple Airport Time Capsule is two rather essential gadgets in a single, gorgeous shell that would not be out of place in the most elegant of rooms. First, it is a router, with wired and wireless connectivity. Next, it is a lot of digital storage space, about two tera-bytes of it, available to all computers on your network, allowing them to store and access photos, music, movies and documents from a central location.
The Time Capsule supports the latest wireless local networking (WiFi, for everyone but the hardest of die hard purists) standard, the 802.11ac. ‘ac’ standards are so new that they’re expected to be finalised in 2014 and widely accepted a year later or so! A lot of technical magic helps make this a very fast, high throughput mechanism that can reach farther that existing ones. For communication, devices that comply with ac standards employ a higher-frequency signal than at present. Not only does this improve reach, but, avoids interference from an increasing array of other wireless devices that share the presently used signal frequency. No longer will connectivity for your computing device be disrupted by the wireless sub-woofer you are using in your living room.
There aren’t many existing devices that support wireless ac standards, though. Time Capsule, therefore, supports the older standards – a,b,g and n – and even with the current n standard, the device supports the best possible speed that few other existing ones can.
There is another bit of clever technology that Time Capsule employs to improve its communication efficiency and reach. It actively exchanges information with its clients to determine the best path for signal to be cast rather than broadcasting it omni-directionally.
There is then the question of centralised, remote storage within your local network that is accessible to all computing devices connected to the network and authorised for such access by you. And a very vast amount of it, too – about two tera bytes of it. That is two thousand giga bytes, each of which is a thousand mega bytes. To give you a sense of what that means, an average-length Hollywood movie could be held in a file of approximately eight hundred megabytes for rendering at HD 720p resolution with 5.1 channel surround sound. Such storage, called network attached storage or NAS, is very handy for backing up work and information on your computing devices, too. That important contract, urgent deck of slides, kids’ nursery play snap or lossless format song will now be quite safe with the Time Capsule. There is even a provision to add storage via a USB port, allowing you to connect external disks should you need even more space. That port, by the way, will let you connect a printer to it, making it available across all computing devices across your network. No longer will you need to get to a specific machine connected to the printer to get that boarding pass printed just as you are running out of the door with the cab waiting.
Keep in mind that you will still need your modem to connect to the internet.
So, should you?
-Yes, if you are a heavy user with a fast broadband connection, have a number of computing devices that will connect to the net at the same time, have spots in your house or around it that wireless signals won’t reach, play games online, have files that you will need to access from multiple devices and are diligent with backing your data up.
-Yes, if you prefer the technology benefits and performance boost without having to step through complicated setup sequences and other hacks.
-No, if all you do is e-mail and normal levels of access to the net, but, stay away from streaming videos or having to share files across multiple devices, and think football is best played in a field and not with an apparition at the other end of the world sitting in front of a television.
-No, if you like tinkering with your devices and hacking them to your taste. Apple doesn’t do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine - need to adapt how you configure the house WiFi for best performance, 2 Sept. 2014
Since we have 2 macs in the house, I needed a stable backup device. Tip:

If you have an existing Wifi unit, you will need to plug an ethernet cable between the router and the Time Machine so the time capsule has Internet access. Do not perform a Time Machine backup through the old routers wireless as it's tearfully slow - make the Time Capsule the default WIFi unit and the backup performance becomes staggeringly quick

It's best to (1) disable Wifi on the old router and (2) update the Time Capsule (using the Airport Utility) to then have the same SSID and password as the old router- this way you don't have to change all the phones and tablets in the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but not perfect..., 9 Aug. 2014
So simple to set up - so simple that I was convinced I'd missed something.
Works beautifully backing my Mac up and creating a very strong wifi network.

To get 5 stars it would need an Ethernet cable in the box to help set up and would be remotely accessible (Apple prevented this with a recent update) without the need for 3rd party apps.

All in all a very good product that 'just works' as I have come to expect from Apple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Device, 26 Oct. 2013
Simple to set-up using the AirPort Utility in OS X or iOS. Had it backing up my iMac in minutes. Amazing wireless range and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great router for the ordinary user., 20 Nov. 2013
I bought this to replace a previous older generation Time Capsule with a smaller internal drive that was full. This newer model seems to provide wider WiFi range than the old one, and with compatible devices (in our case a new MacBook Pro) the ac WiFi transfer rate is noticeably faster, although this is only really useful when transferring files between computers or computer-to-NAS as most internet connections fast enough for the faster ac rates to make much difference.

For the average user, this works very well and has been reliable since we bought it a few months ago, but if you're looking for more options such as QOS control etc, you might need to look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Broke, but replaced, 10 Oct. 2013
Gav (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
So I spent a lot of money upgrading to a Time Capsule.
It setup easily and Time Machine started doing backups.

This morning it told me that the backup failed. A restart of the Time Capsule told me there was an 'internal disk error'.
The only options available were to erase. So I did.... now I've lost my backups and still have an 'internal disk error'.

Searching the internet this appears to be a common problem, but the only way to fix it is to do it yourself.
Checking the Amazon returns - who have always been very good about things - and I'm just a couple of days outside the return period!! If I hadn't had to be away with work I could have got it replaced with a working one.

Now I've just got this lump on my desk and a big hole in my pocket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: Amazon are sending a replacement.
Here's some useful info if this happens to anyone else.

The Time Capsule comes with a 12 month Apple Warranty. I found it difficult to get contact details for Apple, but after ringing around I was given this number: 0844 2090611
The Apple Support was very helpful. We went through a full diagnostic, a full reset and setup. In the end, Apple confirmed that it was faulty, and since it was covered under the 12 month warranty I should first contact Amazon for a replacement (if you buy from a high street Apple reseller you are meant to take it back to them for replacement or repair).

Amazon don't have a number you can ring but if you go through your Account pages, find the link that says about reporting and returning faulty items (this was in the sidebar on the right for me).
There is a 'Call Me' button where you can enter your phone number and Amazon will call me back.

After some discussion and validation on the phone, Amazon decided to organise a replacement plus a return shipping label.

I'm hoping I just got a bad one originally and will have no problems with the replacement.
Well done with the good customer service from both Apple and Amazon, though it would have been better if the contact help details were more readily available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy Apple setup, 5 July 2014
As all Apple products they just work with the minimal of fuss required by the end user.

A great bit of kit for backup and using as a NAS drive with additional USB HDD device connection and recognition.

Not cheap but quality never is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Jan. 2014
Mr. J. R. H. Black "jrhb" (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
Bought to replace my existing Time Capsule which was failing after six years. Easy to set up (literally plug in ethernet cable and plug in power), was automatically recognised by my network and backing up within minutes. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome bit of kit...., 17 Jun. 2014
I know this seems expensive and compared to a typical router and a 2TB hard drive, it is BUT it's good.. I am not a die hard apple fan who loves everything apple, but I have 15 years experience in computing and I know what works and what's good and this is definitely smart.

Like others have said, the box is a bit typical apple and ill-thought out but once it's open, who cares... I pondered for 5 minutes in how to wire this up as I have a 3 story house, 3 Pc's, 1 Linux machine, 1 x G4, 1 x MBP, 1 iMac and iPads, iPods, iPhones and android phones + tab3's.... a few gizmo's.. anyway, i stripped out my old draytek vigor, performed a factory reset on it, configured the isp settings for my connection and turned off dhcp and wireless. I then connected router to the BT point and LAN cable to the time capsule before powering up. Once the green light was on, i was in business and WOW it's fast.

First backup, i did on my iMac which is the latest i7 with 3TB fusion drive. I hard wired in for the initial backup and 2 hours later all was done. My MBP was wired in and backed up, all simple and now it's topping up over wifi.

I needed wi-fi repeaters in my house prior to putting this in, but now I am enjoying fast wifi coverage and don't need them. The coverage is great and my internet access is faster than ever.

I am currently setting up simple file sharing on the device, but despite my reservations on the price i am happy to report it's great. It looks good, it's well made and like most things apple, it just works right out of the box and takes the headache out of it.

as usual, excellent price and service from amazon ;-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be so much better, 6 Jan. 2015
Pretty well does what it says on the tin, but could so easily do more eg a very quiet, wifi router enabled NAS drive. In fact I was under the impression that it could behave as one using Apple's version of UPnP (NAT-PMP), so it could act as a media server. Alas this is not the case so I'll stick with saying it works seamlessly with Time Machine for backing up.