5.0 out of 5 stars PHD-if you only buy one book on nutrition let it be the one
I eagerly awaited the UK edition as I had made my way to the website after haunting lots of other Paleo/Primal ones. I had bought the Primal Blueprint, and followed some of the other websites/blogs ( that Paleo guy, Peter Attia, Paleo hacks etc. )all excellent but I couldn't understand why I just was not doing so well on a low carb diet.
THe PHD explains everything...
Published 19 months ago by clare

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good science, but then a lot of diet books ...
Some good science, but then a lot of diet books have some good science in them. Often at odds with one another.

To be honest I'm fed up of people telling me how to eat. Or telling me that the way I eat is not good for me.

I think this has been my last book about diet. From now on I do what I feel is right for me at the time. I think we'd all do...
Published 3 months ago by SLW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars PHD-if you only buy one book on nutrition let it be the one, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Perfect Health Diet: regain health and lose weight by eating the way you were meant to eat (Kindle Edition)
THe PHD explains everything and gives lots of very detailed explanations that you don't need a PHD (!) to understand. It describes itself as a moderate carb diet emphasising the importance of 'safe starches' for maintaining and in some cases regaining health.After fearing carbs for so long feeling rubbish and gaining weight I followed the advice in the book feel much better and have lost the last few pounds.
I very much use the book and the website for refernce most days. I think the difference for me is the tone- lots of these other books and websites are followed by quite dedicated paleos often quite keen on athletic performance and body composition which is great and you can take what you want from it, but I think that kind of tone can be quite intimidating if you just want to look and feel a bit better without feeeling you are joining a elite club. The writing in the book and website is gentle and encouraging -funny too. Questions on the website about specifics are often immediately replied to- it all feels like Paul and Shou -Ching having solved their own health problems (they are both scientists)after meticulous research and experimentation with their diets want to share it to help others. I see the book is on offer I am going to order 2 more copies!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book for anyone who wants to improve or maintain their health, 2 Aug. 2013
This is a truly excellent book which is scientific enough to convince anyone who has any doubts about the validity of its contents, yet is broken down into manageable chapters making it easy to understand for the layman reader. The Perfect Health Diet places readers firmly on the path towards perfect health, which is what everyone should be aiming for in order to live a fit and pain-free life into old age. It recommends eliminating toxins from the diet whilst shooting for maximum nutrition intake, and shows exactly how to do this. The PHD encompasses the benefits of a low carbohydrate diet along with the sensible addition of 'safe starches' and clearly explains the reasoning behind this. Also important are maintaining circadian rhythms, intermittent fasting, and eliminating any existing infections that many of us are unaware of. Simple steps can make a huge difference in a person's wellbeing and when you put all these steps together the health improvements can be astounding. PHD is a way of eating which is both simple to maintain and highly satisfying, making it a manageable diet for life. For those who want to lose weight then I believe this book holds the key to achieving that goal and maintaining it for good; give your body what it's crying out for and this diet can be enjoyed indefinitely - this is not a fad. The book cites many individual success stories many more of which are to be found on the brilliant Perfect Health Diet's website, also a mine of additional useful information. Everybody should read this book if they want to maximise their chances of gaining perfect health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 30 Oct. 2013
It takes patience and great communication skills to be able to translate the science in the way that this book does. Nutrition is such a complex and ever-evolving field that it's practically impossible to keep up to date. After following a pale/primal diet for over a year and reaping enormous benefits this book has enabled me to fill in all of the gaps and take my nutrition to the next level. If you want to feel great and cut through all of the media B.S the PHD is the definitive guide. Buy 2 copies as you'll want to share!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on nutrition so far, 15 Aug. 2013
Digitalis (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I can't recommend the Perfect Health diet, both editions, highly enough. I have read many books/blogs/websites and practised ways of eating within the Paleo/Weston Price sphere and Paul and Shou-Ching's Perfect Health diet is by far the most knowledgeable, easiest to implement and most balanced among them. Most of it is backed up by scientific references, and you will find many testimonials of how this diet has improved if not transformed the health of many. If you visit the Jaminet's website you will find they are kind, humble and generous and I believe selfless in their responses to many health enquiries, as well as always keeping an open mind to where necessary adjust their recommendations. It is very useful the book also includes how and when to move, how and when to fast, to sleep and expose yourself to light (circadian rhythms). Long time low carbers probably need a little courage to reintroduce safe starches, if done wisely you will not gain weight and notice a much improved health (and body temperature).

But for now, if ever there is a book to read about nutrition and health, this is the one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, well written book which confirms many food beliefs I have long suspected but never researched., 20 Mar. 2014
Great to have some science behind the theories, it doesn't have the rigour of a scientific paper (and makes some unqualified assumptions too) but then it's a darn sight more readable than a scientific paper! It makes sense of eating habits and food production, in fact a lot of it is plain common sense when you really think about it, but this book also comments on lifestyle habits which affect our well being, and explains why a lot of beliefs I have long held to be true are credible. All in all it speaks a lot of sense to me - I am a lifelong vegetarian who began eating fish 5 years ago.... Can I face boiling up bones to make broth? Maybe... This book is that convincing, you may find me at my local butchers one of these days!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book that you could ever read., 6 Sept. 2013
Buy this book it will be the most important book that you will ever read that could influence your health and wellbeing.
Want to know what to eat to nourish your brain and body? Want help to regain your health? Backed by science but easy to read and understand. Scientists Paul and his wife Shou-Ching have been there and got the T shirt. They needed to reverse their own health conditions and with a family history of early death they embarked on a journey to discover with a scientific approach, how and with what the miraculous human body needs us to nourish it. And also what it doesn't need!
The chapter on what breast milk teaches us, should be enough to make any one considering having a baby read this book. You just don't get to hear this information from anywhere else.
Don't loan this book to friends and family, tell them to get their own or buy them a copy. Seriously you will need to keep referring to this book, there is so much information in there.
There are links at the bottom of most pages to their website for further information/scientific studies to support and Q&A support from Paul.
You learn so much from others questions and unbelievably Paul has found time to answer every one of mine. Bless them both

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and seemingly scientifically based healthy diet, 12 Jan. 2014
Amazon Customer "cjwinyorks" (N Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've read many paleo diet books. From personal experience I'm sure this is a better way to eat for weight and generally feeling healthy.
This book allows for some starchy foods that "strict paleo" writers have been ruling out. However this book gives good scientific reasons why and I do feel swayed by their argument.
It is more in depth in the discussions of various aspects of nutrition and diet than all the others I have read, giving it an authority. However it is detailed and needs concentration and a good memory to follow it all. If new to this whole area then I'd recommend Sisson, Cordain or Robb Wolf, but this book covers all of their ground ( excluding the physical exercise) but goes into way more detail at each step.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you thought you knew appears to be wrong!, 25 Feb. 2014
Very interesting to read. Contradicts many of the things you think you know about healthy eating habits, which can be a little discomforting.

Hard to say who's right in those cases though at least most statements in this book are backed up with plenty of research, everything explained in great detail. I've lost a fair amount of weight after reading this book and am feeling a lot better as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a real scientific book on diets!, 29 Dec. 2013
This book is simply amazing! Unlike other diet books it does not repeat the same idea again and again,. This book leads you through various aspects of the 'perfect diet' and scientifically (referencing multiple studies) shows you what the body needs, and therefore what you should consume. It is a fascinating book. But be warned, once you start reading this book, you can't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly researched, 1 April 2014
Not a diet as such a way of eating for health and the rest of your life. Written for those in the medical or health field but with a précis for the layman at the end of each chapter. Very well worth buying in hard form not kindle - you will want to make notes and refer back all the time. There is just so much valuable info.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›