‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaken and Stirred, 17 Jun 2013
Mr. Roger N. Allen "Roger" (Braintree ,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
Marcus Bonfanti's long awaited third album has finally arrived and I have to say that it is the most fulfilling album yet from a guy who is one of the most gifted musicians I know from his guitar playing to his extraordinary vocals that still amaze me to this day after seeing him live numerous times over the last four years. Speaking to Marcus recently he told me that he is immensely proud of this album as he put all of his heart and soul into it, I can tell you now music lovers that this is one of the must have releases of 2013.
So what does Shake The Walls give us from Marcus that makes it so good and different from his last two albums? Well it's the band sound I have been craving for with eleven original tracks most of which were tested out over the last twelve months on the road either as band or solo gigs before being refined and finessed at The Grange Studio using the analogue taping format.
His impressive song-writing skills with his trusted collaborators, mainly Jake Field, give us an insight to the perils of drinking
and women with some humorous lyrics as with the opening two tracks `Alleycat' and `Cheap Whiskey' both very clever lyrically and musically great choruses for you to sing along with. The self-penned `We All Do Bad Sometimes' has an infectious melody I cannot get out of head, starting off with a gentle guitar hook it soon grows and grabs you again when the band kick in to set the groove and features some great guitar towards the end of the track.

Marcus surrounds himself with trusted and very accomplished musicians with Scott Wiber on bass and the extremely underrated Alex Reeves on drums, these guys show how tight they are on the album and none more than `Honest Boy' with the vocalising set up differently this time, more great guitar and harp on one my favourite songs `Jezebel' again the melody just grabs you and takes you on the journey.
I know that Jimmy Page is a big influence on Marcus and it shows on the intro to `Stone Me Sober', this is another song that rocks along with lyrics about being chastised by a partner about drinking habits.
Great friend Paddy Milner is the `unofficial' fourth band member on the album featuring his excellent Hammond playing on three tracks here all of differing styles, firstly on the raucous and very commercial `Baby Don't Dance' to me this song has HIT written all over it and should be on every commercial radio stations playlist, awesome vocal on this song.
`Blind Alley' is the biggest surprise to me, a mainly acoustic country blues tune co -written with the amazing Sharon Vaughn, a beautifully crafted song which I think has more than a tinge of Chris Isaak about it especially when the electric guitar kicks in, another track that what be suitable for much radio airplay.
Paddy is more prominent on another killer track `Honey' this a slower brooding tempo which features some lovely interplay with Marcus' guitar and primal vocals, the slide guitar is in use to good effect on the rocking `Bang Of A Gun' featuring more great drumming from Alex.
Finishing off the album and quite rightly so is the award winning `The Bittersweet' which is now finally publically released with a new version from previous gig only EP format.

Shake The Walls is brilliantly produced by Dave Williams who has captured the intensity and subtlety of Marcus Bonfanti, this should catapult him into the mainstream consciousness of the music world with this album which shows his versatility in both lyric and musical content and would not be surprised if it features in music awards over the next eighteen months or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beefy Baritone Blues Blast, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Shake the Walls (MP3 Download)
This is a superb offering from Marcus Bonfanti and may very well be the album that the mainstream pick up.
With enough chunkiness to please the rockers and bags of vocal tenderness, every song is a cracker, although if I had to choose just one... I couldn't. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Youv'e got to have this, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
I was just about to finish my shopping on Amazon when I stumbled across this album. After seeing nothing but 5 stars and reading the reviews I decided to give it a try, and here I am to add my 5 stars.

I had never heard of Marcus Bonfanti but now I'm glad I have, this guy is a huge talent who sings and plays from the heart. I like various types of blues and would rate this as modern blues that needs to be played loud.

Buy it and you will be back to add your 5 starts too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the cover, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
Marcus' third album and this surely will put him on the British Blues Rock top-table for sure. I've long been a fan of his deep voice and know him to be a searing guitarist, but this record is where it all comes together. Backed by Saint Jude mate & bassist Scott Wiber, long time and much overlooked drummer Alex Reeves and with ol' mate Paddy Milner sitting in on Hammond, from the very opening of Alley Cat, this album has the place shakin'. Finally, a full, but still acoustic take on The Bittersweet is a great closer, but so many treats are to be found inbetween, not least of which, Blind Alley.

My Baby Don't Dance rocks while Cheap Whisky stomps; We All Do Bad Sometimes gets in your head and does interesting things.

Ah, what the heck - 11 cracking tracks that deserve to be heard - go one, treat yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Marcus, 11 Aug 2013
Stephen Spencer (derby, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
Other self promoting blues guitarists, or at least one in particular, grab the blues headlines but this guy is up there with him. Another good album with varying styles of blues from a much under rated singer/ guitsrist. He goes from the heavier stuff such as Alley Cat and Cheap whisky to the more acoustic style of The Bittersweet and the Country Blues of Blind Alley. Well worth a listen ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant album!, 5 July 2013
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
Having bought "What Good Am I to You", off we went to the Borderline gig on June 21. It was amazing and got some excellent pics.
Love this album too with the mix of fast & slower songs, the Hammond organ and the brilliant bass and drums.
See Marcus Bonfanti live if you can..........That voice........

5.0 out of 5 stars Restrained but brilliant, 1 July 2013
S. Bowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
Well, after three listens, I can't fault this album. Country/folk/blues at its best.

My only 'if' is that it's a little restrained, I find myself waiting for the big drum sounds and guitar solos at some points. I like the 'BIG' sound sometimes.

But that is a minor and personal taste point, this is a finely crafted, superbly played, album. All original tracks ('Honey' is to die for, as is 'Bittersweet'). Great entertainment, can't wait to see this guy live.

I'll give it five.

4.0 out of 5 stars Try a little harder with those lyrics, 6 July 2014
David A. Weston (Hornchurch, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
Lovely music, superbly played, very well recorded and produced with a great live feel and range of styles, most enjoyable and highly recommended, Marcus is positively brimming with talent.

My only reservation is the lyrics, I know that this is blues but they strike me as just a little too cliched at times, I think the previous album What Good Am I To You was more interesting in this regard.

5.0 out of 5 stars This guy Rocks the Blues!, 27 May 2014
Topperking99 (Millbrook, Torpoint Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
I was fortunate enough to see Marcus at the Dart Music Festival - May 16 - 18 in Dartmouth. And he made the place come alive.
This album is a great rocker with vocals that are at times rough and raw, then soft and tender.
Cheap Whiskey is a standout as well as My Baby Don't Dance. He played a few of the songs off this album at the festival and it brought the house down.
Get This Album!

4.0 out of 5 stars One to watch, 26 May 2014
This review is from: SHAKE THE WALLS (Audio CD)
Another young British blues artist to watch. Great CD covering a range of styles. I'm looking forward to catching him live at some point.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›