5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 18 Jun 2014
P. Horrex "bristolre" (Enfield, Greater London, UK.) - See all my reviews
I spent around 2 weeks trawling every review that I could find on the internet, comparing the Pentax K50 along with a Canon 700D and the Nikon d5300. It was such a struggle to make the final choice, all get excellent reviews, but the K50 won hands down. I bought the K50 in red with the 18-135 lens and am very impressed. Image quality is superb, and a viewfinder to die for. And colours are so true to life. Exposure has been spot on in a variety of daytime lighting conditions. At this price, this is just a brilliant piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy this thing is RED!, 1 Oct 2013
Nickrs (Montgomeryshire) - See all my reviews
I bought my last SLR way back in 1977 with my first week's wages as a fitters mate in a paper mill the summer before I went up to University so I can't really give a valid comparison with anything else currently on the market, but because I learnt to take (and develop) photographs back in the old days I have a reasonable grasp of the theory of optics and photography, I also used to work in I.T. so I sit towards to the guru end of the computer nerd scale. Firstly, this camera is very RED, in fact so RED that when I get it out to take photographs (or just brag) my audience is universally taken aback! Now that is out of the way I'm going to summarise my experience of the camera in as few words as possible; Pentax have pulled off a very difficult achievement in that they have created a product which is very easy to use from the outset and yet has many layers of sophistication which wait to be discovered as you be come more skilled, I have only had the camera a few days but I'm almost stunned by the quality of the images I've captured! Secondly, the build quality of this device is first class, I chose this model especially because of it's claimed ruggedness, whilst I doubt it would survive being hurled into a lake I'm sure it would easily shrug off having coffee, tea, beer or even cider accidentally poured over it or being left out in the rain. Thirdly, this camera is not one I would recommend for the weak of arm, again I can't compare it to other modern SLRs but it is a bit of a handful albeit a well designed and very ergonomic handful, a good case is essential as I think it is quite heavy. Finally, I can't really comment on the spec, except that say there is a lot of it, but the only camera magazine I read before my purchase gave this beast a gold award. To sum up my review, I'm dead chuffed with my purchase and I've discovered the fun of photography again, yippee! So a big thumbs up! TIP: I use GIMP for my photo-editing, it's brilliant software and it's FREEEEEEE.

PS: I haven't really tried the video function yet other than to test it works (well), but another reviewer noted the sound capture was weak, I can't comment really other than to say I bought this camera to take photographs not make movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera!, 8 Sep 2014
J. Green (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pentax K-50 DSLR Camera with DAL 18-55mm WR Lens Kit - Black (16MP, CMOS APS-C Sensor) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I am very pleased the my first results with this camera, it's good to get back to an SLR after a few years using a compact. There is a lot to learn about this camera and it has features that I never knew existed, manual has almost 300 pages but worth reading every one to get to know this camera. If all else fails and you don't like reading just switch it to auto and take some great photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy., 10 Jun 2014
This looks, feels and is, a quality product. The clarity of the LCD Monitor and photo's is superb.
I was very impressed by the detailed layout in the instructional manual.

I would recommend this camera to anyone starting to take photography serious.

My one regret is that I did not buy the 50-200WR twin lens kit with my initial purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A forced up grade - but well worthwhile., 26 Oct 2014
Bought to replace a Pentax 1st body with a dead sensor.
A much more sophisticated camera - a lot of progress in a few years.
It is quite complicated enough as a lower end model and takes all my lenses. Seems to be rather more intelligent in using older Pentax K and Screw (with bayonet adaptor) lenses (I've been a slave to the Pentax screw mount for nearly 60 years).

The battery arrangements seem rather ad hoc : a proprietary Li ion battery clipping into a 4x round cell (AA?) space and an extra battery cage being needed to use AA batteries . The Maxsimafoto cage from Amazon is perfectly well made - no need to Pentax!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level DSLR, 9 Oct 2014
I bought it to my wife as a present to learn the photo shooting with a real SRL.
As I had many years experience with an other brand I can surely say I did the right choice. It offers all the options and quality awaited from the more advanced cameras but easy to learn and in a price set of the entry level SLR.
Pentax seems it is not just an old big name... it is alive (I started to think about to replace my old Nikon... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Camera, 17 May 2014
Great camera for the the price, can be as simple of as complicated as you like and quite capable of amazing results

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sep 2014
I love this camera great pictures and its a very bright red love it

5.0 out of 5 stars I took this camera with me on a one to ..., 1 Nov 2014
I took this camera with me on a one to one training course and I must say it was superb. The Photographer doing the one to one has
many, many years experience shooting all over the world and he was very impressed with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best DSLR available for under £1000, 1 Aug 2014
Mr. Anthony Butler (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
After much reading of reviews, I was torn between the K50 and the Nikon 5200. I went into my local Photo shop and handled both, The K50 won hands down, it just felt right, the viewfinder was much superior and it had weather-proofing, The build quality is excellent and the kit lens is also very good. Delving into the menu (by pressing 'info') gives you access to a myriad of controls so that you can compensate for any difficult scenes.
The two control wheels are also excellent enabling you to change both shutter and aperture in 'P' as well as ISO mode etc and almost all information is shown in the viewfinder as well as the monitor.
The image quality is very good with lots of detail in both the dark areas and light areas, even better when shooting RAW, which is saved as a DNG file.
The only slight niggle is the lack of an articulated LCD, but the viewfinder is so good that I use it most of the time. This all adds up to the best DSLR available for under £1000 (Much under).