5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, comprehensive collection
This is a must-have for any person with musical taste, and also for those who are looking to buy an Eagles CD for the first time. All the best known tunes are on here and it features selection from every album the group released.
Published on 6 April 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the single disc Very Best Of!
As I liked the (single CD) Very Best of the Eagles, but did not want to buy their 4Cd box set, I decided to "upgrade" to this double CD. What a mistake! Although the tracks on that single disc are included here, and are quality country-tinged soft rock songs, everything else about it is incredibly frustrating:

1) Sound quality is shocking: it sounds tinny and...
Published on 16 Sep 2012 by A long term FM fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, comprehensive collection, 6 April 2004
By A Customer
A very minor criticism is that this collection tends to focus more on later albums than on the early ones - six tracks from 'The Long Run' is a bit much from that album and 'Those Shoes' was not its strong point. I would have liked to have seen more from 'Eagles' and 'Desperado'. But apart from that its excellent and even if you already have the previous compilations from the Eagles this one is definitely worth owning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Eagles collection, 14 Jan 2004
This album is a super collection of all the Eagles best songs and is a great way for folks new to the Eagles to get familiar with their songs. Many people will be surprised to find that the Eagles had 33 hits - most will know of "Hotel California", but will wonder what are the others like?
I have been a fan of the Eagles since the 70's and have most of their work already, but this collection (which I received as a welcome Christmas present) puts it all together very well. All songs sound great having been remastered - and if, like me, you still listen to old audio cassettes/LPs, you wont regret purchasing this album which is great value for 33 songs.
With so many great vocalists (Henley, Frey, Walsh, and Schmidt - they're all here) it must have been difficult to leave some material out.
Some criticism: - six songs from "The Long Run" album is way too much (I don't remember all of these being hits - certainly not on this side of the Atlantic). "The Long Run" album (for me) departs from the Eagles country-rock sound that is most familiar to fans. Songs like "Those Shoes" are not true Eagles sounds.
Put this album on next time you are travelling on a long journey by car - it will be the most relaxed and enjoyable drive you will have. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definitive Eagles collection, 9 Jun 2008
Amazon Customer "Pete the music fan" (Leicester England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
There have been Eagles compilations before but this by far the best. It contains all the songs that could be found on earlier British (Very best of) and American (Greatest hits) compilations, plus a few songs never before included on any of them. And everything has been digitally re-mastered, sounding better than ever.

All the famous songs are here including Desperado, Take it to the limit, Lying eyes, Hotel California, Tequila sunrise, New kid in town and Best of my love to name just a few.

Aside from the obvious songs, you also get Please come home for Christmas (a song that has since become a standard), two songs from their Hell freezes over album (Love will keep us alive and Get over it), their recently recorded Hole in the world and several great album tracks, of which I particularly like Midnight flyer and Victim of love. A nice booklet with extensive liner notes is also included.

If you only buy one Eagles collection, make it this one. It has everything that most people will ever need, although there are still plenty of interesting songs on the original albums that couldn't be included.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definitive collection at last, 25 Oct 2003
Amazon Customer "Pete the music fan" (Leicester England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

4.0 out of 5 stars Eagles Soar, 4 Feb 2009
P. Cooper (Jersey Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
So good to hear these classic tracks once more & in a digital format. I have it playing in my car CD changer & the tracks always bring a smile to my face. Great value too when purchased through Amazon Prime.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece from the masters, 13 July 2006
There's something about listening to the Eagles that brings to mind memories of the seventies, hot summers, broken hearts, growing up. This is probably because I was growing up at the time most of the hits on this album were released. Me and my dad knew every word of Lyin' Eyes, even if, at the age of 12, I didn't exactly understand the subtle satire and the emptiness of the subject's life.

This is a great album for all Eagles fans, picking out the very best songs, though I must admit to preferring their earlier music to that from their recent reunion, of which most of the second album seems to be taken up. Still, I'm not complaining. Who could?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but..., 13 July 2007
Lee Mallabar Dreamware "Battle Garegga" (North East England) - See all my reviews
Well, yes, it's fantastic of course. How could it not be with so many great songs, which still get played every day on radio stations the world over? I do have reservations, though. The Eagles have released more compilation albums than studio albums, and I don't think any other band has a greater ratio... it's quite bizarre if you tot up their collections and count them against the 6 full studio albums.

My main problem here is that there are such a high proportion of songs from their last albums: Hotel California, and The Long Run. One could argue that this is because those two albums were the biggest sellers at the time of release (well, Hotel California obviously was, perhaps One Of These Nights sold as well as The Long Run, I'm not sure). Call me cynical, but I believe it's because, by creating a 'definitive' collection which will over the years become their best seller, they're shaping the royalties so that the current band members (founders Henley and Frey, plus Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmidt) rake in a much as possible while attempting to gently ease out the other two founding members, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner. Henley and Frey were always going to do just fine, but there's a definite attempt here to bring Walsh (effectively replaced Leadon and changed the band's sound forever) and late boy Schmidt (replaced Meisner for the last Album) as much of the royalties as possible. I'm not saying all of this because I'm bitter. In fact, The Eagles are my favourite band, even in their current lineup, but I'm certain there's truth to my allegations. Six tracks from The Long Run? No way is that appropriate, and I back that up from the common knowledge that The Eagles had a total nightmare recording and writing that album, and The Long Run (on Henley's Inside Job Live DVD), In The City (from their Farewell I DVD), and Those Shoes (from their Millennium Concert CD from their Selected Works box set) all absolutely blow away the original studio versions of the songs, proving that the band weren't all truly happy with them. You'll never get everyone to agree which songs to release on a compilation, but for me, there's a hint of favouritism over quality here.

Most 'true' fans of the band - and by that, I mean people who own and have really listened to all of their studio albums - enjoy their first three albums at least as much as their last three. Those last 3 albums generally had greater critical acclaim, were more experimental, progressive and definitely had better lyrics as Henley found his place at the top of the songwriting tree, but there's something about the first 3 albums which to me is just the essence of The Eagles. The later albums and songs, even Hotel California, and what I consider to be the perfect pop song, New Kid In Town, just don't have quite that purity of Eagleness to them. If I was to pick one album which perfectly encapsulates The Eagles sound, it probably wouldn't be Hotel California. This might sound like a weird thing to say, but in my opinion, while the last 3 albums had better individual songs, only their first 3 albums were perfect. One Of These Nights, Hotel California and The Long Run (especially The Long Run) all had one or more songs which felt obviously inferior to the others, whereas the first 3 albums were just so even the whole way through. I don't think any of the songs on those first albums were inferior to Take It Easy or Desperado, it's just that those songs got released at the right time with the right hype, did well and then became classics. It could have been one of a number of other songs from these albums instead. If alternate universes exist, there may well be millions of people listening to You Never Cry Like A Lover on their radio right now, rather than Desperado.

What I guess I'm alluding to here, is that I just wish people would buy all of their albums instead of JUST this compilation. If it's a question of money, I'd be happier to see somebody go out and buy The Eagles (first album) or On The Border than this. However, it is a fantastic compilation album, there's a lot of great songs on here, but personally, I'd only buy it for the digital remastering and the handful of songs which weren't on their studio albums. Buy this and you gain stuff like Love Will Keep Us Alive, Hole In The World, and Get Over It. Buy On The Border, and you get stuff like You Never Cry Like A Lover, My Man, and Good Day In Hell. For me, I'd go for On The Border in a heartbeat - those aforementioned songs are a hundred times better than the new ones, but I guess the big question is, if you buy this compilation and you love it, will you then go back and buy their old studio albums? If yes, then be my guest, and enjoy this great compilation. If not, then I beg you to start from the beginning

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the single disc Very Best Of!, 16 Sep 2012

1) Sound quality is shocking: it sounds tinny and compressed even on a fairly good quality hi-fi;

2) The extra tracks are at best poor, and at worst dire;

3) It will not play on my laptop, nor can I transfer the songs to my mp3 player, due to copyright protection; (luckily all of the songs that I like are on the single cd Very Best of anyway, and this is not copyright protected)

4) The information in the booklet is mostly tedious and irrelevant to many fans or people who just want to listen to the music;

5) Because there is so much information, the booklet is too big to fit inside the CD case. This means that an outer box is required to house the disk and booklet. And the manufacturers have - in their infinite wisdom - made this fractionally too small, so that you can't get the case or booklet in or out without damaging the booklet and outer box. (Now I know what the manufacturers of envelopes for greetings cards do in their spare time).

I'm glad that didn't discard my old copy of the Very Best of because it's going back into my collection in place of this awful double cd, which is going straight into the wheelie bin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disk sounds awful, 13 Aug 2013
N. Weeds - See all my reviews
The disk plays but sounds absolutely awful, with a lot of noise, crackling and distortion.
It sounds fine on Amazon cloudplayer, so it's definitely a problem with the disk not the recording.
Others have reported similar problems, so it seems that there's either a "copy protection" problem (nowadays read "listen protection" problem) or a bad batch of CDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, recommended, 7 Jan 2011
B. MCGHEE (U.K) - See all my reviews
I've not much to say as I've only had time to play this Album once, but for me my one regret is that I never bought an Eagles C.D before. With regards to this package; there is a wide selection of music new and old in the two discs, some tracks that I knew and some that I I hadn't heard before making this an excellent choice , and I aslo feel for the price of this double pack the standard of recording is very high, all I can can is enjoy.