4.0 out of 5 stars Looks and works well

Published 14 months ago by John Harrison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful hub for good broadband service, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
Even from a few feet away the wireless connection kept dropping out on my Macbook, making it necessary to key all the details in again and again. My last wireless hub, an old BeBox was so reliable I just assumed these days they all would be. But this was very poor indeed, despite BT claims to the contrary. I've now replaced it with a Netgear N 900 which works fine (but to get BT sport, you'll still have to reconnect the BT hub to the box or just watch it via your computer after keying in BT membership details)...p.s. the following prompts work for the Netgear wizard: Username: broadbanduser@btbroadband.com Password: BT.
You may also have to de-activate BT wifi if you keep being automatically connected to a BT hotspot, another nuisance BT has devised (easily done on My BT). Once this is all done, the BT broadband is very good with the Netgear, even if they do create such an obstacle course!

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks and works well, 26 Sept. 2013
Colin Garthwaite (Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
Actually acquired this hub for free,due to switching over to Bt Broadband and was pleasantly surprised,by the quality,compared with free routers I have been given in the past,off ISPs. Really easy to install and I like the fact,that it hasn't got half a dozen bright lights,on the front of the hub,just one pale blue still one. All my wifi gadgets work fine through it and haven't come across any snags,to date.

I would suggest,that if your hub is close to your phone socket,to use a shorter RJ11 to RJ11 cable,than the one supplied with the hub. I'd say,it is probably far too long,for what most users will need and I got speeds of over 0.5Mb/sec more,by using a shorter cable,I already had.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad choice for iPhone and printer owners, 7 Mar. 2014
R. Dalton - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
Upgraded to this new BT hub from my old one and have nothing but problems both my iPhones cannot see the router or my iPod touch. Printer epson also cannot detect this even after changing every setting under the sun this is a nightmare. My matchbook and I mac see the router but other gadgets just seem to have conflicts or do not see the router wifi. Poor choice if you have apple products although it gets 2 stars for looking good. The dual band may be the issue although I have renamed each with different said which made no difference and changed Security settings to no avail.

5.0 out of 5 stars BT Home Hub 4, 8 July 2013
R H Scott-Spencer (Cardiff, South Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
Only £89 not a £109 asked by BT?
Work from the box have not seen much difference in speed from BT Home Hub 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty simple, and looks nice, 21 Nov. 2013
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
The Home Hub 4 is designed for Joe Public - it is really very simple to set up. You will want to disable Smart Connect on the Settings page once your first computer is connected though since it isn't necessary for the 3 post install steps to be repeated everytime. The main benefit of this hub is the 5ghz band which most 802.11n capable devices should connect on and may give you better connections. (I tested by switching between a 802.11g usb dongle on 2.4ghz and a 802.11n 5ghz capable one and saw 10-20% speed improvement on speedtest.net) However 5ghz band is poor through walls - so not much use for bedrooms etc away from the router (in that case you'll be auto connected on 2.4ghz - you can check what frequencies each computer is connected at in the advanced settings)

Otherwise nothing much to say, it's nice and discreet - the single blue light can even be dimmed (from the admin webpage for settings - just type 192.168.1.254 in your browser url)

You get it free (£6.95 delivery) with a new bt broadband contract - I wouldn't pay for one - better to get the more advanced HH5 or equivalent if you're going to spend this kind of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars BT White Elephant, 6 April 2014
R. P. Griffiths "raygrif" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
WiFi is as weak as its predessors, 5mhz band only works for devices that are practically on top it. Do not believe BT when they tell you it takes 24 hr for the hub to settle down, it can take as long as 2 weeks during which time expect the hub to drop its connection several times a day for as much as 30 minutes or more. A new appliance should work perfectly right away, so why are these devices so fragile and flaky? If your old hub is working, these are not worth the money or hassle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hopeless!, 23 April 2014
L. Reed (Coventry) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
I thought it was time to upgrade from my old BT Voyager 2110 router. To cut a very long story short - Ordered it from BT. Took delivery, set it all up, no internet connection. Waited 24 hours as per instructions. Still no connection. Re-checked everything then phoned BT support. I was told - 'fault on the line'. BT call centre in India told me - 'no fault on the line - faulty home hub'
Home Hub number two sent. Set it all up - no internet connection. Spent one and a half hours on the phone to Tech. Support in India. They couldn't sort it out. Told me that the second hub is also faulty, and they would send out a third!!
By this time I was so fed up with the situation that I phoned BT and told them to cancel my order and issue a refund. It remains to be seen whether that happens.
I have re-connected my old Voyager router and now have to schlep to the Post Office to return three Home hubs to BT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value on the second hand market, 20 Feb. 2014
L. Stamford (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
These were originally sold by BT for >£100, but were also given as upgrades to existing customers, which means there are loads of them on the second hand market for £20-30. At that price, it's currently (Feb 2014) the best value dual-band router around.

I was having problems with 2.4 GHz WiFi because I live in an apartment block (too much interference from other WiFi signals), so I bought a used one of these and made the switch to 5 GHz. By default, it broadcasts the same SSID on both bands, but you can set it to give different names, so I now have it broadcasting two SSIDs, one of which is 2.4 GHz and the other 5 GHz so I can tell which frequency my devices are detecting and connecting to. The interface is quite nice with loads of options and a nice diagram of all the devices currently connected to your router. The broadband speeds I'm getting are very slightly faster than my previous TP-link router, but the nice clear 5 GHz spectrum means that everything actually works much faster.

There's also a USB port in the back so you can attach network storage. I haven't actually tested this yet, but it's a nice feature to have. The unit itself is nicely made, has a handy reboot button on the top and is smaller than I expected. The only potential downside of the router is that you only get one gigabit ethernet port (the other three are 100 Mb); this was improved on the Home Hub 5.0, along with the addition of 'ac' wireless, but they're still quite expensive.

1.0 out of 5 stars very very poor, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
It gets one star for having flippy stand legs that spring out when you open the box, that's it! I mistakenly thought it was time to upgrade from the old, perfectly reliable
V1.5 BT hub,never ever had any drop with that unit, with the 4 hub we experienced drop out on a regular basis throughout the day, every day. We have a Mac on hardwire and around 10 other devices connecting wirelessly and upon reverting to the 1.5, all is fine again, please please save your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Really Well, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: BT HOME HUB 4 (Electronics)
It's a really nice home hub, works well - so easy to use. Plus it's a got a nice design.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›