4.0 out of 5 stars 29.7GB of storage but limited video format compabitility
As with most storage devices, the quoted amount of storage isn't quite what you get. Only 29.7GB of the 32GB is available for storage.

That's not a major problem. But the limited video formats that it's compatible with IS more of a limitation.

INSTALLATION
Published 8 months ago by H Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in practice
Published 4 months ago by Mrs Krys Marshall

4.0 out of 5 stars 29.7GB of storage but limited video format compabitility, 17 Aug 2013
H Jackson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: SanDisk Connect 32GB Wireless Flash Drive (SDWS2-032G-E57) (Personal Computers)

INSTALLATION
Simply plug the SanDisk Connect into your computer's USB port and you can drag and drop music, photos and videos to the SanDisk's flash drive. The flash drive writes quite slowly at around 4MB/second, so transferring say a 1GB movie can take 3 or 4 minutes.

On my Android tablet, I also installed the SanDisk Wireless Flash app from the Google Play store. This was very straightforward.

When your SanDisk Connect is fully charged (2 hours, the instruction leaflet says), you simply unplug it from your computer and press the power button for a few seconds. You then select the SanDisk wireless network on your tablet and start up the SanDisk app.

The SanDisk app brings up a simple file management list of folders. Clicking a folder full of photos brought thumbnails up of the entire folder. Click a particular photo and it takes around 4 seconds to bring the actual photo up on screen, although subsequent photos can be quicker as my tablet seemed to buffer further photos.

Similarly, click a song (mine are all mp3 format) and it streams from the SanDisk flash drive.

Click on an mp4 video and my tablet asks me to 'Complete Action Using' (and then I can either use the native Android player or any of the players that I have installed such as MX Player and MoboPlayer). Streaming even 1080p quality video worked beautifully.

So far, so easy.

MULTIPLE STREAMING
My son also has an Android tablet so we tried playing different videos from the SanDisk and this worked well. Even though we were watching different videos on our individual tablets, there was no noticeable lag on either of our screens.

LIMITED VIDEO FORMAT COMPATIBILITY
Unfortunately, most of my videos are in formats other than mp4. I have lots of avi and some mkv file formats, which do not stream from the SanDisk flash drive.

In order to play these, you click one of these and then it downloads from the flash drive onto your tablet (which takes several minutes). This isn't the best solution as clearly you could just download the video from your computer straight to your tablet.

I found this extremely disappointing.

SECURITY
I recommend going into the Settings menu, and then selecting the Network option in order to create a password for your flash drive. Otherwise, anyone else in the vicinity could also connect to your SanDisk flash drive and not only read your files but also delete them if they wished!

OVERALL
A handy gadget for carrying more content with you. It's particularly handy for sharing content. Rather than having a video saved on every separate person's tablet or phone, you can have it on the central SanDisk flash drive. I can see this being particularly useful for iPad users and tablets that do not have a SD slot.

However, I found the lack of compatability with video formats other than mp4 extremely disappointing and so this reduced my rating from 5 stars to 4.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing in practice, 1 Dec 2013
Set up and file tranfer worked fine. But i want to use it from my iPad as a photo album and to stream music and it falls down on both. Photos load too slowly, several seconds of blank screen between images is not good enough. Music streams fine but only one track at a time. Every other music player i have allows whole albums to be played, on this one every track must be played individually (and no playlist function). So while the concept is fine practical issues limit its usefulness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, Ideal for phones, tablets and more..., 9 Mar 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The fact that you are reading this review means that you are probably considering to buy this innovative wireless flash drive, so I will try to highlight certain features before delving into the full review. That way you could decide whether this unit is for you.

The Sandisk Connect is a 32GB USB flash drive with WiFi capabilities. It has a replaceable micro SD card memory, so you are not limited to the 32GB shipped with the unit. It will expand your iPad, tablet and smartphone storage.

What it does really well:
1 Transferring of files between your device and the Sandisk (no need for internet connection)
2 Great for uploading the high quality photos from an iPhone (and smartphone) whilst on the field. Not limited by phone's memory storage
3 Viewing of documents on the Sandisk, without the need to download them to the device

What it does not do well: These could probably be addressed via firmware updates.
1 Streaming of video files directly from the Sandisk stutters.
2 Limited video format support

Now to the full review:

The 32GB is a Sandisk Ultra class 10 micro SD card which is replaceable. The Wi-Fi capability means that this drive can be used as a standalone hub, which is ideal when on the move. It transmits it's own SSID, which can be renamed, and is compatible with virtually all platforms, including the Kindle Fire.

I was slightly disappointed with the build quality on unpacking this item. It just does not feel as sturdy as most Sandisk products. (Edit: After 4 months of ownership I have got used to the feel, and the unit still looks like new).

When I first plugged the Sandisk into the computer and downloaded the App for the iPad, a popup appeared telling me to upgrade the firmware, which was fast and very easy to follow.

An App called "Sandisk connect wireless Flash Drive" is available for iOS and Android.

iOS users will find that only mp4 media files are currently supported whereas Android will play avi files too.
When using the Android platform, clicking on a media file prompts you to choose a program for viewing the file. I find VLC media player(beta) a great option, and streams HD videos seamlessly from the Sandisk.

Some reviewers noted that when the flash drive is connected to a computer the unit stops transmitting. That is because the computer sees it as a mass storage device. Yet if you connect it using the cheap PortaPow Fast Charger for Apple iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Xperia, HTC One, Google Nexus (which blocks data tranfer) on your computer or directly to a 5V USB power supply, the drive will transmit and charge at the same time.

The battery status of the device is not displayed on the unit itself, yet it is available via the settings tab of the app itself (for both iPad and Android)

I use this flash drive extensively for setup and antivirus programs and important scanned documents. However I do occasionally use it for videos and music.

I honestly think that this is the future. The "cloud" restricts users to Wi-Fi and data plans, whilst this little flash drive offers faster and a much more accessible option.

Considerations:
If your objective is media streaming than the SanDisk Connect 64GB Wireless Media Drive is a much better option
Being a Wi-Fi server, make sure that you set a password on the wireless flash drive, or else anyone in the vicinity can see your files.
Apps for iOS or Android get frequent updates, and this could mean better support in the future.

The Sandisk Connect has great potential and probably is an indication of where the future lies, yet I feel that the support has not kept pace and needs polishing up. The pros far outweigh the cons hence I still rate the Sandisk 5 stars . Time will tell whether support and functionality will improve.

I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to share data on multiple computers, or extend the capacity of their tablets and smartphones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Tech, 24 Feb 2014
Looks easier to use with Ipad/phone software than Android, but it's easy enough even then. Could do with the charging light changing from uncharged to charged otherwise it's a couple hour guess, plus a warning when it's going to die.
File transfer is ok but not fast like a Kingston or a Crucial memory stick, better than some of the tiny sticks out there like the Sandisk Cruzer which is super slow.
Have heard people saying it only plays one music track at a time, not on Android people it plays the entire album.
Shame it can't stream and transfer or at least stayed plugged into my car stereo and stream.
It's a cool device for people like me who aren't interested in some cloud storage options available at a price!
SD cards sound a good idea but you have to convert movies to play on the things which takes time, my S4 will play almost any file format whereas alas the nexus will only play mp4 movies & tv.
Highly recommended .

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it does well but, not sure who'll use it, 5 Sep 2013
Kev "Writer, geek, dad." (Alton, Hamshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've lost count of the number of times I've had media on my mobile phone and wanted to view it on my tablet. Actually, no I haven't. Since I set up Dropbox and Google Drive, my media ends up everywhere I could possibly want it.

If you DO want to share videos, files and pictures between devices then this is an elegant solution. It creates its own wireless hub which allows you to connect to it, and through it to your existing router and therefore the internet. Several devices can connect at once so if you wanted to share a document with meeting attendees, for example, (as long as it was a pretty small meeting) you would use this device to do so.

I'm just not sure how useful this is more widely - even the packaging fails to come up with many real world uses. If you need this functionality, this device does it brilliantly.

4.0 out of 5 stars FLASH! Ahhh ahhh! The saviour of the universe!, 23 Aug 2013
Crookedmouth ":-/" (Somewhere in the Jurassic...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, it's a USB Flash Drive, much the same as the traditional 'memory stick' that we all know and love. The difference is that you don't need to plug it in to access it.

Basically, the Flash Drive includes an inbuilt WiFi capability so that you can connect to it wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet. In this way you can read from or write to the drive without the need to plug it in. This is especially useful as most tablets and phones don't come with a standard USB connector and require a special adapter to make the hard connection.

You will need to download a special Sandisc app onto your phone/tablet to facilitate the interface (easily done from the Google Play app store - search for Sandisk WiFi App). After some blundering, whereby I struggled to work out how to use the app, I managed to crack it.

The 'front page' of the app gives you the choice of A) connecting to the Flash Drive so that you can download it's files to your tablet or B) exploring your tablet's Download Folder or Gallery so that you can select files to upload onto the Flash Drive. As far as I can tell, in the latter case, any files you want to send to the Flash Drive need to be in the Download folder (unless they are photos or videos, in which case they're automatically listed in the tablet's gallery) for the app to find them.

From there, moving files between your tablet and the Flash Drive is a simple process for anyone with passing experience.

You don't have to transfer files from the Flash Drive in order to read them. Instead you can 'stream' them, ie read them direct as if the Flash Drive was internal to your tablet. This is quite handy if your tablet has limited internal drive space, but it is slow. You may not notice this on videos, but it /is/ noticeable when browsing photos on your Flash Drive. Each photo takes about 5 seconds to load, although once loaded they seem to be held in your tablet's internal memory cache so they don't need to be reloaded for successive viewings. Other documents, such as PDFs, don't stream and are automatically downloaded onto your tablet for viewing. I haven't tried streaming music yet, so it remains to be seen how that fares.

Alternatively, you can simply plug the drive into your laptop's USB port and transfer files between them in the traditional way.

Yet again, you can remove the Flash Drive's SD card (it took me a while to work out that the drive uses a microSD card for it's memory) and load it using your laptop's card reader, or swap it with another microSD card, making this an extremely flexible tool.

You charge the Flash Drive by plugging it into your laptop USB port or a USB charger for a couple of hours. The Drive's WiFi signal is OK... not quite as powerful as my elderly Sky router. I don't know what its range is; certainly more than 30 feet, but with one internal wall in the way it remains strong, two and it's struggling and three cuts the signal to effectively zero.

The Flash Drive itself is rather larger than a traditional memory stick, but not huge - about the size of a packet of chewing gum. It is a little plasticky and doesn't feel as robust as I would have liked.

The Flash Drive comes loaded with a number of useful (if rather irritating) 'how to' videos, plus detailed Android and iPhone user guides so that at the very least, you have preloaded content to practise your file transfers and streaming on.

This seems like a useful and flexible little item and it solves the problem of limited internal memory and non-standard USB connectivity that many tablets and smart phones suffer from

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible instructions, difficult to use, 12 Sep 2013
S. Riches - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I understand the principle of this item. I stick it into my laptop's USB port (initially you do that just to charge it up, which took only about 90 minutes) and then you can download onto it your music, photographs and/or videos of your choice which it can store up to about 28gb, and it will then make that content available (without necessarily being attached to your laptop/PC) streaming it via its own wireless network, to any device upon which you have downloaded a special app. called the SanDisk Wireless flash drive app. That I did onto my Samsung Galaxy S2 from the Google Play Store, no cost involved.
From that point on I have to say that everything becomes very confusing. The instructions assume a reasonable level of computer knowledge, which many users do not have. There is no information coming up as to how I actually drop music, or videos or photographs from my laptop into this drive. No icon with options appeared on my laptop screen after plugging in the activated flash drive. Further, my Galaxy S2, once I've activated the app. downloaded onto it, seems to be wanting not to receive anything but instead is offering me photographs already in the phone's memory to possibly be transferred wirelessly into the Flash Drive, however there are no instructions on how to achieve that, even if I wanted to do so. On my phone's screen I am offered 2 options - Downloads, files downloaded on my phone - and Phone Gallery, which say it is for photos and videos on my phone. Music is not mentioned. Underneath both those things on my phone's screen is an icon labelled "SanDisk Flash." When I press thatI get a page headed "Internet Connection", telling me that while I'm connected to the Flash Drive, the phone is disconnected from the internet, but it also tells me that I can connect to the internet while also being connected to the drive if I go to preferred networks in my phone's app settings. So I've done this and see my usual wi-fi connected and the SanDisk Flash FBA25F listed under it not connected but giving a good signal. So I press the screen for the SanDisk network that then connects, but it disables my normal wi-fi. However, what next? All my camera pics come up on the phone's screen, but why? Does that mean I can now send them to my laptop? If so, how? And if files are to travel wirelessly the other way, from my laptop to my phone, how will that work? And first, whichever way they are to move, they first have to be downloaded to the flash drive, and there are no instructions telling me how to do that or how to activate them once they are in there.. there are certainly no options for music, moving it in either direction from device to device or for dropping anything into the flash drive for later transmission.

I'd love to move a copy of my substantial music files from the phone to the laptop, but that doesn't seem possible. Samsung Kies is so useless so do not suggest that. I'd love to move some photographs from my laptop to the flash drive device for later streaming to any other interested mobile devices which have downloaded the app. The accompanying literature tells me I can "...access my movies, photos, music and documents for up to 4 hours on a single charge."
If that's true, then please tell me in plain English how to achieve that! The instructions are a disgrace, so basically, the whole shooting match sits there flashing and doing nothing and I have no idea what to press or when.
I write this in the full knowledge that many other people have made it work, but I refuse to believe that I am a one-off idiot!
In the interests of fairness, if any of this changes I will return to this review and amend it accordingly. Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, 22 Sep 2013
Whatchamacallit (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The possibilities for this drive from SanDisk seem to be pretty good. It's not just a USB memory store but it can also offer wireless access to the files contained on it to up to 8 different devices at the same time. In effect it means that you have your own portable network where your purpose could be anything from sharing a presentation in a work environment, through to streaming movies to the kids whilst they're in the back of the car on a trip.

It doesn't use the internet to do this; instead it sets up its own wireless environment which is accessible by smartphones, tablets and computers. The in-built battery lasts for up to 4 hours which is long enough to stream a couple of films and I found the set-up process to be fairly straightforward, although I did need to have a good look around the app to find what I wanted. The drive comes pre-loaded with some `how to' videos which offer some help and I do recommend watching them, but they are a little bit annoying.

I particularly like the fact that the actual storage element of this device is a removable microSD card which is also made by SanDisk (SanDisk microSDHC Ultra 32GB, class 10, UHS-I, 30MB/sec. + SD adapter, Mobile) which means that it can be replaced or upgraded if the need arises. Transfer speeds when loading the drive via a USB connection aren't brilliant but are workable at around 5Mbs. SanDisk is my personal first choice when it comes to all kinds of flash drive as I've found them to be the most reliable brand. This device is a great idea, it's very well constructed and I expect it to give me many years of reliable service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Useful, 9 Sep 2013
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I go this to review to be honest I was mainly interested in having a fairly decent sized USB memory stick - something that one can never have enough of. The fact that it is wireless wasn't really too interesting to me.

However, having now used it on a variety of devices I can attest to the fact that it's pretty good. It's most useful for devices that do not have a USB port if I'm being honest. Clearly it's primarily aimed at Android and iOS tablet users that typically don't have an easy way to add memory and for that purpose this is about as good as it gets.

For Android tablets (including KindleFire) you download a free app and you then use it to log onto the drive like a normal wifi hotspot. Simply open up the app, select the drive and you are into it where you will see the usual array of folders for media, pictures and docs. Dead easy and brilliantly simple.

For a PC or laptop the benefits are less obvious because you can simply connect via a USB port. You can connect wirelessly and maybe for those using a Windows 8 tablet that might be of benefit. I could not see an app for this on Windows because you simply connect via the normal wifi route you use for any network. You can then select the level of security as per normal Windows environment. I set mine for Home.

The slight downside is that when connected to this you won't be connected to any other wifi network. Not too bad in the sense you can connect quickly, transfer files and then reconnect to the net when done.

Power is good and lasts for most of the day in my rough and ready experimentation in the office.

Overall for a relatively cheap item and 32GB memory it's almost essential for a tablet user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 21 Sep 2013
GR "GR" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If like me you've maxed out your Drop Box account and don't want to subscribe to another service, and you're forever deleting things on your iphone to make space, then this little gem is just what you're looking for. The 32GB is slightly larger than your average USB stick, and to move files around you simply plug it into your laptop, move the files across and then they're accessible from all your paired devices. The range is good too. I leave mine in my brief case and can access it from my desk or phone when I'm on the train. Well worth the investment.

ARRAY(0xad0de384)