Format: Blu-rayChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 September 2013
I was lucky enough to be at the event all those years back (as well as the last Wembley concert and Knebworth) and dearly wish the producers at the time had the foresight to film this with 35mm cameras so we could enjoy the full spectacle in HD but, alas, this was not to be. What we have is a Standard Definition recording of a truly memorable event.

With the above in mind I have owned the show on home taped VHS, Laserdisc (and still have it somewhere), DVD and now, Blu Ray. The Blu Ray restores some of the fantastic opening acts such as Extreme who put on their own mini Queen concert and so impressed me on the day and now, many years later with their approach. Brilliant stuff and perfect for the day. In addition we have most of the Queen plus friends event (the Robert Plant Innuendo track is still missing) plus some good extras such as the rehearsals with George Michael (when he was good!).

A lot has been written about the show so I won't go over that now. Most will be wondering is the Blu Ray worth it and to this question I would say 10/10. You have over 3-hours of brilliant performances with, probably, the best picture and sound you can get considering the source. At a tenner or so it is an absolute bargain.

Picture quality, considering this is standard definition, is generally fine with the close-ups particularly good. The crowd shots such as Radio GaGa hand-clapping are a bit of a blur as you might expect. Note that the image is presented 4:3 or square in shape and is actually formatted so that the usual 'wide' setting on your TV is negated so you will have to resort to zoom (bad!) if you want a full screen on a 16:9 set. Please remember it was filmed/video recorded this way so it is not a fault! Previous DVD release was re-formatted by the producers to fit a 16x9 shape and they used the usual means to do this (cut off top and bottom and a bit a stretch) so the 4:3 actually means you are watching the show as it was recorded. Sound quality is very good with a DTS Hi-Res format that I have not seen/heard before but it comes across well with a good, punchy, soundtrack. All sounds very good at decent volumes.

For me one of the key benefits of the release is the pop-up menu meaning you can go to any track from the opening bands (Guns and Roses Paradise City perhaps) to one of the Queen tracks (anything with George Michael - 39....!) with ease. There are so many great moments the ease by which you can select a particular track make the purchase of the Blu Ray worth it. No disc swapping either!

This is an interesting development in presenting SD material on Blu Ray but so far I have purchased 2 (the Bee Gees being the other) and have been very pleased with both. Hope to see more classic shows to come.

Highly recommended - buy now before it goes up!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2013

So for the first time on Bluray the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert. Was I disappointed, no.
This has got the opening acts, Metallica kick it off with 3 songs, after each band there is a montage of footage of Freddie Mercury. Then the Extreme come out with great energy and play a medley of Queen songs. Def Leppard appear with Brian May to perform Now im Here. Bob Geldof comes on and plays Too Late God. Then Guns N Roses come on with the energy they were well known for.

Then the main shows begins. 1) Joe Elliott, Slash & Queen - Tie Your Mother Down 2) Roger Daltrey, Tony Iommi & Queen - I Want It All 3) Zucchero & Queen - Las Palabras De Amor 4) Gary Cherone, Tony Iommi & Queen - Hammer To Fall 5) James Hetfield, Tony Iommi & Queen - Stone Cold Crazy 6) Robert Plant & Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love 7) Brian May - Too Much Love Will Kill You 8) Paul Young & Queen - Radio Ga Ga 9) Seal & Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever 10) Lisa Stansfield & Queen - I Want To Break Free 11) David Bowie, Annie Lennox & Queen - Under Pressure 12) Ian Hunter, David Bowie, Mick Ronson & Queen - All The Young Dudes 13) David Bowie, Mick Ronson & Queen - Heroes 14) George Michael & Queen -'39 15) George Michael, Lisa Stansfield & Queen - These Are The Days Of Our Lives 16) George Michael, London Gospel Choir & Queen - Somebody To Love 17) Elton John, Axl Rose & Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody 18) Elton John, Tony Iommi & Queen - The Show Must Go On 19) Axl Rose & Queen - We Will Rock You 20) Liza Minnelli & Ensemble - We Are The Champions
As many Queen fans will know, there is still 1 song missing, Innuendo. Robert Plant sang it on the night before Crazy little thing called love but was taken out at the request of Robert Plant.

The bonus features are pretty much the same as the dvd version. You get 10th Anniversary Doc, Rehearsal performances of a few songs, photo galleries, and Mercury Phoenix Trust facts.

The picture is brilliant and so is the sound, the music is very clear. On the DVD version it was hard to hear what John Deacon said at the beginning of the concert but on this you can hear him. Really if you own the dvd version it is worth upgrading the dvd version as you get the opening acts, better sound, and better picture. Must have for a Queen fan
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2013
the quality of the picture is superb seeing as the original footage was recorded on video tape and not on film, with regards to the missing songs by def leppard, spinal tap and the robert plant version of innuendo. there's various reasons

1. concerning def leppard, they dont own the publishing rights to their back catalogue and don't have a great relationship with the record company

2. concerning spinal tap..need i say more. its a made up band and the publishing deal expired years ago.

3. robert plant specifically asked for his performance of innuendo to be omitted as he wasnt happy with his performance and to give him credit hes right as the original footage on the night showed, it was inaudible and he was mumbling the lyrics

hope that clears up a few issues that many people have raised, unfortunately the band has no control over these.

overall though, its a great concert to watch and listen to. wish there was an offical cd/download release.
on 2 July 2003
I was at this concert, and it is a very special memory for me. So I have the TV coverage recorded on the day, and the VHS release. The VHS release was edited (some artists were completely cut out) and slightly doctored to cover mistakes and technical problems on the day, and as such does not necessarily serve as an honest document of the concert. So I hoped that the DVD would perhaps restore some footage that was inexplicably missing from the VHS version.
Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the entire first half of the concert is missing. There were some blistering performances here from all concerned, and I was looking forward to seeing them on this format. To be fair, perhaps this is due to licensing issues. Nonetheless, it would seem I must still refer to my ropey old mono TV recording if I want to see this again.
It's great to hear the sound remastered (even if a little doctoring remains... I distinctly remember "Stone Cold Crazy" going very wrong in the middle and yet its performance here is suspiciously flawless), and wonderful to see some very special moments again - for me, Queen and David Bowie's rendition of Bowie's "Heroes" was spine-tingling, as was George Michael's performance of "Somebody To Love".
Unfortunately, the aspect ratio effectively removes the top and bottom of the original picture, which is very annoying. What is the point in this? The "Live at Wembley" DVD preserves the original aspect ratio and therefore the full original image, so why crop it here?
This could have been a superb DVD - a marvellous opportunity to utilise the format to any number of useful ends. Unfortunately it is an opportunity wasted - nothing more than edited highlights inexplicably cropped. The special features are fairly interesting, and what there is of the concert is of course superb. Sadly, as a document of a sad yet wonderful, memorable and bittersweet day, this doesn't really stand up. Stick to the VHS or, if you have it, the original TV coverage.
on 18 December 2003
First of all, this is a great recording of a great show. There are a few instances of overdubbing (when Brian fluffs a solo, etc.) but it's not so obvious as to mar the enjoyment of the concert. However, the DVD doesn't improve on the sound/picture quality of the VHS as one might expect. It's pretty much exactly the same in that respect. BUT...
There is only the 'Queen +' part of the show.
On the double VHS edition, the entire first tape shows frankly great support sets from Metallica and Extreme. Metallica open with a lot of their material from the 'Black album' era, and are so good that they actually recruited my mate as a fan based on this one performance. They may not be everyone's cup of tea though.
And for all of you there's also Extreme, who provide an EXCELLENT medley of all of your favourite Queen hits. It's simply fantastic. This reason alone should be every Queen fan's incentive to buy the VHS version.
So, yeah...
I advise anyone who hasn't already got the double video pack to buy that instead. And while you're at it, use the left over cash to get yourself a video capture card so you can transfer it to (S)VCD/DVD-R so your tapes don't wear out.
Anyone who HAS got the VHS and is wondering whether to upgrade to DVD, I'd say no. Unless your tapes are particularly worn thin, there's no quality upgrades and there's the entire first tape's worth of material missing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2002
I have owned the VHS version of the concert for many years, and it was slightly worn because I've seen it so many times. I always thought I could get rid of the VHS tape when the DVD is released, and I thought with the DVD version I could finally be sure to keep the concert in a high quality format for a long time.
With the 2-disc DVD I thought they could not only give me what they already have in the VHS, but much more. Hell no! They give me a stripped-down version, and arranging the songs in an order I couldn't understand! They also left out the Exterme take of Queen medley - my favorite part of the concert!
My advice: Get the VHS version if you're interested. This DVD is just not worth it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2013
I loved it then and i love it now.The main show is the main attraction here. The band sounds great. Iomi-May is pure dynamite in my ears.Many of the guest vocalists/artist have had significantly influence on pop/rock.They dont match Mercury of course but it does not matter because they give their distinctive interpretation of the songs. This is not a Queen consert but a tribute consert.Sound has been given a serious upgrade compared with the DVD.Video not magnificent but it's ok.The atmosphere is awesome. A hell of a congregation if you ask me.
on 24 March 2007
Yes where is the concert? If you are thinking about buying THIS QUEEN TRIBUTE show there is something you should know. 75% of the show has been cut from the the concet which is a BIG SHAME, becuse it was a good show when it was on tv all them years ago. a bad buy and you will be very dissaponted if you buy this dvd.
on 29 May 2002
As is, this package is good, very good infact. I'm a fan of a lot of artists who helped make this event a classic. The only problem I have with the release of this DVD is that the bands who performed (Metallica, Extreme, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard etc) is missing. I especially miss Leppards version of "Now I'm Here" which I thought was exceptional. As the disc stands on it's own I give it 3 stars - with the other concert footage I would have given it 5.
on 4 September 2013
Having only owned the 10th anniversary edition that's all I can compare it to.
This blu-ray definitely improves on the picture quality.
It's in the proper 4:3 aspect ratio and with an average bit-rate of 15/20Mbps the image is sharper and free of compression artifacts in comparison with the cropped 16:9 DVD.
Since this wasn't shot on film it's probably the best this concert will ever look. Don't expect this is gonna look like "Queen Rock Montreal".
The opening act was completely missing from the 10th anniversary DVD so that's a nice (if incomplete) addition.
Both the LPCM Stereo and DTS track sound great even though the DTS track doesn't use DTS-HD MA.