on 11 October 2013
When it comes to choosing a textbook it can always be a bit difficult to decide what the best one to buy is. Personally, I like research what the best textbooks to buy for my course are and if they really are worth the investment. I was recommended this textbook by quite a few people who had purchased this book and used it to study for their exams and I decided to check it out. After reading through the book I can say they were not wrong to recommend it. The book is extremely helpful, well written and easy to understand. It explains the content very well and closely follows the CT1 exam syllabus for people studying actuarial science. One of the most helpful things about the book is the amount of worked examples and questions it has to fully test your understanding! Also the price is very reasonable (especially if you have a student budget!) and it is definitely worth to buy this book if you are studying anything financial related!
on 8 October 2013
As a mathematics and actuarial sciences student I can say that this book has been a key tool with my learning and understanding of my course content. I am a mature student who is not naturally gifted with mathematical skill but instead has to work hard to understand mathematical ideas and concepts. However, this book concisely and descriptively explained each topic/ area in detail in easy to understand English and made it seem a great deal easier to understand my course material. It includes a large amount of worked examples with solutions throughout the chapters and includes a summary at the end of each chapter which helped me to further clarify my knowledge. Highly recommended!!
on 9 October 2013
As an international student, I will highly recommend this book. This book has a lot of examples to explain how the financial world linked with mathematics. It can helps student who is not familiar to the economics and financial to understand what is happening. Also, when this book introduces some new concepts, you will see an example and exercise immediately. It can avoid me to misunderstanding and it can let me see what is the application of it. Apart from this, this book well structured. It will not go too fast or too slow. It does helps me a lot to understand fundamentals of financial mathematics.
on 8 October 2013
I am a student studying actuarial science. Many of my classmates get confused when they encountered learning material involving interest rate. But after reading this book, we are able to catch up easily. Furthermore, this book provides a number of examples, which helps us to visualize abstract concepts. What I think the best thing in this book is, there are sample questions from past exams of The Actuarial Profession and CFA Institute with a very detailed solution. A well-structured must buy book especially for actuarial science and financial maths students!
on 8 October 2013
I bought this book because it was recommended on [...] and I found that this book has exceeded my expectations. This book was very well structured, easy to understand and covered all the material in the CT1 exam, which I found particularly useful towards my studies. There are also many examples, problems and exercises in the book so it is suitable for independent studying. This is a must read for anyone studying towards the CT1 exam or anyone who wants to gain a deeper understanding of Financial Maths.
on 18 October 2013
Dr Garrett himself recommending we buy his book for the intro to Actuarial module he will be lecturing. At first I thought he might be bias and the book is not worth buying. But after using a copy from the library for a few weeks, I found it very useful and easy to read; had to get my own copy. I love the structure of the book and the fact that there are many many many examples and also exercises at the end of each chapter. Would definitely recommend this book, worth every penny!
on 9 October 2013
Excellent reading material. The context is in the simplest possible form which is crucial for me because English is my second language. There are also answers to exercises at the back of the book so revision is sorted. CT1 exemption is guaranteed if you master the concepts laid out in this textbook.
FYI the author is actually my lecturer and the lectures are crystal clear; the next best thing can only be his textbook!
I totally recommend it.
on 9 October 2013
A thorough and coherent textbook, suitable for anyone studying actuarial science at university or for professional exams. The simple and thought out layout provides highlighted relevant examples and theorems - making it extremely easy to understand detailed concepts. In addition I found the summary exercises at the end of each chapter to be of great help. A definite must have!
on 12 October 2013
Thanks to this book, I am going to get through my exam. :-))
A meaningful textbook, with many examples to consolidate the topic.
A bible for anyone studying the actuarial exams.
on 15 January 2014
Good quality and it is very useful. Strongly suggestion on this book. It doesn't matter if you learn finance actuarial science.