on 29 October 2013
This is an exceptionally well-crafted murder mystery. When Molly's husband is sent by his employers to work in the Philippines, she has little choice but to take up her parents' offer to return to their old family home with her two children until his work placement ends. With her parents settled well out of the way in Florida, Molly struggles to fit back into her old neighbourhood and the circle of school friends she had been relieved to leave behind many years ago. When she receives a strange letter from her recently retired schoolteacher, her attempts to make contact are met with news of the teacher's sudden death. The characterisation is excellent and in addition to Molly, the thoroughly likeable, sharp witted, central character, the best of the others for me were Tommy, the slow but sure Sheriff and the truly dreadful Daphne, the girl everyone loves to hate. Despite the title, I wasn't entirely convinced about Molly's expertise with computers. Any storyline that relies on technology has a tendency to date very quickly and in this respect, there were aspects of the plot that were just a little shaky. The reliance on faxes, for example, was a bit past its prime as was the rule that the children must not touch Molly's computer, something that is completely unthinkable for today's schoolchildren. This all indicated that the story was set quite a few years ago and in fairness, maybe it was. Nevertheless, this book had me gripped from the first line to the last. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading more by this skilful, imaginative author.
on 20 March 2016
Molly Masters has mixed feelings when she and her family moved back to her childhood home in Albany. She is keen to apologise to a former teacher, Phoebe Kravett, and she's delighted to live next door to her best friend, Lauren.
Then her husband has to work abroad for a year leaving Molly and her two young children to cope with life on their own. As they settle in Molly's ecard business starts to take off.
A letter from Mrs Kravett, asking Molly to meet her, seems the ideal opportunity for the apology, but Mrs Kravett dies before they can meet and then things start to slide downhill. Soon Molly realises that most of her classmates from school still live here and someone does not want Molly to stay.
Threats to Molly and her family are soon followed by the murder of Lauren's husband. When Lauren is accused of her husband's murder, Molly is determined to prove her innocent, but soon finds that no-one, including Lauren are as they seem. Can their friendship survive? For that matter can Molly and her family?
This is an amusing well thought out story with good characterisation and an easy reading style, but perhaps a bit short. I loved the descriptions of the ecards.
on 21 April 2015
What an enjoyable book!

My first impression was "parochial" as there were so many cultural references to small town America. Once passed these it was a fascinating read.

The characters were well defined and believable. While trying to figure out if there had been a murder I realised we now had a room full of suspects. With each new clue I was left trying to figure out who it pointed to. Typical small town America where everyone knows everyone else but they all have their secrets and are distant from those they have grown up with. With each interaction the author peels back a layer and beneath is an ever growing network of ties between the characters. Rather than the characters being superficial and simply defined with each page they get more complex.

As for the murderer ... I was guessing right to the end.

It could only have been improved with some illustrations like those described in the pages of the book. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
Not sure how to review this book but will give it a go. First of all, if you like serious mystery books then you will find this a bit ditzy and banal but it is also very entertaining and a couple of times I laughed out loud, especially when the year book was used in the library! Spelling and grammar were fine, overall, and meant there was no nasty howler to interrupt the flow. Nathan, the young son of the heroine is either OCD or has ADHD but either way was an extremely exasperating child and you really wanted to strangle him. There were a lot of unlovable characters scattered throughout and even the heroine had moments when you wanted to shout at her to get some sense into her head. The last few pages of the book were my favourites as this is where the real action took place; most of the rest of the book is about conjecturing who 'dun' it. If you enjoy a light, frothy read with some humour thrown in then you will enjoy this book.
on 11 November 2013
Bought this book on a whim as I was unfamiliar with the author - but having now read it I was hooked from the first to last page, even to the extent of reading it on my Kindle in the middle of the night!

If you enjoy Miss Marple then Molly Masters is the 21st century equivalent
on 13 March 2016
Ok, it's not a terrifying non stop page turner. It's like the programme 'murder she wrote' in a book. Nothing original in the way it is written or the plot. I found the 'I must doodle an e card' bit by the main character a bit annoying as it really served no purpose to the story other than to attempt a bit of humour and making sure she checked her emails for business regularly therefore giving her a chance to notice her 'other' emails. It twisted and turned mildly but I was able to put it down without thinking about it, and picked it up to carry on when I was ready to read again. As it was free I can't complain too much (well I could but I won't) but I may read the next one to see if it gets better, but only if it is also free at some point, I definitely would not pay to read it.
on 7 April 2015
This is an excellently written book with well-rounded characters and an intriguing plot. I was thoroughly enjoying reading this novella when it ended all too suddenly. I would have given a 5 star review, but for me, the book ended at the half-way point. I felt that there was plenty more mileage to be gained from the story given the number of potential suspects and the various plot twists and turns. It felt a little like the author had run out of inspiration and decided to wrap everything up as quickly as possible, which is a shame, as I wanted to read more. I'm not often gripped like this, wanting to read until I've finished the story, which made the actual end all the more disappointing. I'm hoping that the next books in the series are more well-rounded.
on 21 September 2015
I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy this book from the blurb on it but thought I'd give it a go. I'm so glad I did! The tale is full of twists and turns leading the reader to one conclusion then another although unlike some tricky tales, I understood all of it. The characters are well described and I felt I knew people just like them. The storyline itself was believable and interesting. I struggled to put it down and only did do whilst washing up (thought I might drop my phone in the sink) and sleeping (although I read a chapter when I woke up to go to the loo).
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 April 2016
Well-written, absorbing, funny, I really enjoyed this cosy mystery. Unlike many in this genre, it had a believable situation, realistic characters and real emotions. Molly's husband is working abroad for a year and she has returned to her home town with her two young children. The plot centres around an old teacher of hers, Mrs Kravett, whom she and her friends treated very badly. I loved the complicated, guilt-ridden relationships, so human and so real. The story never lost pace and there were some laugh-out-loud moments. A great start to the series!
on 6 May 2016
Brilliant writing style, error-free and very witty. Good storyline. Very hard book to put down. I liked the characters even though it was hard to identify with them because I'm not a small-town American housewife. I would easily have given this 5 stars except I'm not sure I understood all the e-mail references. Would highly recommend the book despite that.