Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£11.99

on 30 September 2008
this is one of the best,if not the best comic i have ever read, everything about it is fantastic. simon bisleys artwork is beautifully painted the whole way through it and perfectly suited to the story. the writing behind it is very well researched (pat mills has obviously spent a lot of time reading the tain and other works of celtic poetry as well as reading about early celtic culture). its extremely violent but has quite a lot of humour as well as tackling serious issues.i could not put it down.
on 13 June 2009
Simon Bisley was the reason I started collecting 2000ad many many moons ago! His work on the ABC Warriors, Judge Dredd and of course Slaine made me try my best to copy his work when I was doing my GCSE Art! Simon Pegg even called his character in Spaced Tim Bisley out of respect for this fanastic talent! Slaine the Horned God is one of his most noted works and it is beautifully drawn and inked. If your a fan of Slaine you'll love this graphic novel, simple as that... its one of my favourite pieces of art!
on 29 September 2013
I remember this story being one of the first 2000 AD comics I ever read and the quality is about the same as the old megazines.

It's impossible on the ipad to really see the quality of the artwork and I just found it overall really hard to read, scroll around or zoom in, I don't think the kindle really gives it the justice it deserves, I would say, go find a second hand paper version as you'll probably enjoy it more.
on 14 July 2013
The painted artwork throughout the book is just fantastic - if you've read the graphic novel "Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgement on Gotham", then you'll be familiar with the quality, as Simon Bisley painted that, too.The story is good, and makes sure to give new readers enough background information on the characters to understand what is going on with no problems. I was surprised to find that the book is actually quite philosophical, and while it's not exactly mind-blowing stuff, it is definitely more than just a series of beautifully painted fight-scenes.

I think it's good value for money and well worth picking up if you like graphic novels.
on 28 April 2011
As stated by the previous reviewer, this is quality Slaine. Bisley's painted artwork serves the genre and Mills has researched the source material far more than adequately. The storytelling is deft and the subtexts are potent. This is culurally educational carnage. A thick softcover with no fillage [The few endpages pages of Commentary are welome and fascinating]. Not so graphically gorgeous as the Invasions books but purer celtic tale telling in my view. Recommended.
on 6 March 2014
This collection dates from the late 80s where comics were aiming at a more adult market in the wake of things like Dark Knight Returns. It was a good time for 200AD resulting in some classic Judge Dredd story lines and some other character driven epics from writer Pat Mills. Slaine was an established character when THG was written and the storyline, based on Celtic mythology, tells of his epic battle with the Lord Weird, Slough Fegg - a story full of sex, paganism, battle field violence, ancient and capricious gods and tongue in cheek humour. Simon Bisley's art work astonishes more than 20 years on. An exceptional collection.
on 19 August 2012
The dwarf, Ukko, narrates the story of Slaine's ascent to power, his love of the Goddess, and his quest to acquire four sacred weapons. It contrasts the reflective quiet moments in the warrior's life with the bloody and violent necessity of war, providing ample opportunity to bury his trusty axe Brainbiter in some thick enemy skulls.
Sláine gave Pat Mills the opportunity to write the traditional axe-wielding barbarian but to tinker with the stereotype a little. He took the muscle-bound Conan type and gave him a sensitive side.
This book is often cited as the quintessential Sláine epic but it's not the best work Mills has produced; it never really excites as much as Mills was capable of.

The real reason that The Horned God endures is due to Simon Bisley's magnificent art. 2000 AD gave Bisley his start and its right that he should have given them his finest work to date, on both Sláine, and ABC warriors (also written by Mills).
His influences are easy to spot. He's heavily inspired by Frank Frazetta and Gustav Klimt, and even throws in some HR Giger from time to time. It's fully-painted throughout with a very specific palette. Fully-painted work is so very rare these days that it's a joy to revisit a time when it received the love it deserves. This is Bisley's masterpiece. There are a number of full-page pieces which are simply stunning.

If the quality of the story matched the quality of the art, The Horned God would get full marks but unfortunately it falls a little short of perfection.
on 27 December 2013
First read The Horned God back in the pages of 2000 AD years ago, out was great to read it all over again. Think I was about 10 so I missed a lot of the point, it was like a Conan comic to me. Ukko is great as the story teller, it is one of the things that always made me like it so much. There is more to the story than chopping heads off and dwarves who eat bogeys. There is the horned God story of man getting in touch with nature and value of women. Art work is fantastic also. Well worth a read.
on 23 October 2013
I read this many years ago when it was first published in 2000 ad, I remember loving it at the time and drooling with excitement each week as I picked up my new "prog". Having just purchased the digital book for my kindle I find that the story is every bit as good as I remember and the art work is superb. If you like fantasy/Conan/2000ad stories then you'll love this.
on 11 August 2015
Absolutely incredible,every panel is hand-painted oils on canvas,the story is amazing,if you are looking for something different from the usual capes and leotards heroes this is for you.(He is also loosely based on my ancestor!)