Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 13 October 2014
I'm a big fan of the "Dune" series and I'm happy that there is enough interest in the franchise to keep the series alive. In all honesty no novel is ever going to equal Frank Herbert's original design, although Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson have done a pretty good job with their "Legends of Dune" trilogy and the "Prelude to Dune" trilogy. I had hoped that there would be more from the character of Vorian Atreides (the main protagonist of "Legends of Dune" and ancient ancestor to the main characters of Frank Herbert's "Dune" novels) but in this new series (known collectively as the "Schools of Dune" trilogy) he seems to be taking a bit of a back seat. But this entry into the series is not a bad novel, it just seems like it is an unnecessary part of the whole "Dune" mythology and will certainly only appeal to die-hard fans of "Dune".
on 18 April 2014
I've never been completely satisfied with any of the books that were written after the death of Frank Herbert. However, this one shows a great deal of promise. The characters are more well developed and the storyline is much stronger.
on 16 November 2014
There is much criticism out there of Brian Herbert’s & Kevin J Anderson’s continuation / expansion of the Dune universe created by Frank Herbert. I’ve read all of their collaborations to date and have generally defended their efforts against that criticism. Then, I read “Sisterhood of Dune” in 2013 and was disappointed with it for lacking any great imagination when compared with those earlier books.

My disappointment deepens with “Mentats of Dune”. This is an uninteresting storyline full of dull, two-dimension characters. The story adds little to the series. It skips around the Dune universe without much regard for any coherent timeline. It lectures without having believable (albeit fictional) characters to deliver the message and uses a language style that just alienates the reader. The end for me, I think.
on 19 October 2015
Enjoyable development of the prequel... still wondering how Combined Mercantiles becomes Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantile, how Norma Cenva and her navigators become the Spacing Guild (and bank) and where the Sisterhood eventually gets to be called the Bene Gesserit... I assume all will be revealed in the third book Navigators of Dune, but we have to wait till 2016 for that!! I suppose it does have to be written... The spice must flow!
on 16 June 2014
this book recreated a slice of the dune story it was enjoyable to read and fleshed out some of the pre dune story focusing on the pro and anti faction,the schism in the sisterhood.the harkonnen cause strengthened,the mentat school caught in the middle of the pro/anti technology war whilst it hides a great secret.this book caught my imagination and i blasted through it
on 6 April 2015
This is the first Dune book by the Brian/Kevin Duo that I've enjoyed for a while. It actually has a decent-ish plot, with some degree of return to the sense of scale that was such a unique part of the original series. After finishing the previous book, I was ambivalent about reading the next one, but now I'm quite looking forward to continuing the series to the end.
on 12 February 2015
I have to say that some of the latest versions of the Dune story have been a little repetitive and lacking in the excitement that the early books created. However, I enjoyed this book, which I believe is the penultimate, and I think it described some interesting events and people without being fixated too much by the original concepts and storyline.
on 28 January 2015
If you are a fan of the Dune series I would be surprised if you didn't get hooked by this new wave of books. They are written in a similar style to the originals and bring a whole new dimension to the Atreides/Harkonnen stories. Compelling characters and connected contexts - buy them all and get immersed!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2015
Never quite happy with a dune book that came out after the death of Frank herbert but this is one of the best so far, good action and pacing (though I counting the days till Anari dies!!!) Great character development, waiting for the next instalment!
on 2 July 2014
As usual not to the standard of the writing of Frank Herbert. But the story lines are good and this is what maintains interest in this latest offering of the Dune saga. Authors could do with looking at how Frank Herbert constructed his story.