1,022 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Not big enough?
Published on 11 Nov 2011 by D. Cooper

1.0 out of 5 stars Cups leaks!
Published 9 months ago by paulbliss

5.0 out of 5 stars Not big enough?, 11 Nov 2011
D. Cooper "MS Boffin" (Adlington, Cheshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
There is no question that the SmartCafe mug is a brilliant device. I have owned and used several over the last 5 or 6 years and cannot imagine how I would enjoy my morning coffee without one. There are hundreds of reviews telling you how fantastic the mug is so I'm not going to repeat all that here but I do want to answer those few that keep complaining about coffee grains in their coffee and the size of the cup.

Here's how I make my perfect coffee. The aim is to keep all the coffee grounds below the fill line. Remember, any grounds above the fill line are NOT trapped by the plunger:

1) Before you start, make sure the cup is DRY inside. That will prevent coffee grounds sticking to the sides of the cup and sneaking past the plunger.
2) Put the coffee into the bottom of the cup - easy if you follow (1)
3) Add the hot water GENTLY - no splashing grounds up the sides - and most important ***FILL TO A LEVEL BELOW THE FILL LINE*** - a centimetre or so below the fill line should be OK
4) Stir GENTLY - keeping the liquid and grounds BELOW the fill line
5) Wait for 30 seconds or so to allow the coffee grounds to start to sink
6) Put the plunger into the cup so the filter just goes into the liquid and seals against the sides of the cup
7) Add more hot water, filling the cup as much as you like. Now that the coffee grains are trapped below the filter you don't have to worry about the fill line. No need to be gentle now either, you want the extra hot water to mix in with the rest
8) Allow to brew for whatever time suits you and your coffee, then push the plunger down GENTLY. If you push too hard and too fast you may get HOT coffee squirting out of the cup.
9) The end result is a FULL cup of perfect coffee, free of coffee grounds.

It's not as complicated as it sounds. Just common sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great office gadgets, 12 May 2005
L. Lilley (Northamptonshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I use mine at work just to get away from the awful coffee machine. Great value and works really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This coffee addict is impressed!, 4 Oct 2013
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I hate Instant Coffee - try as I might, I've never found one that comes even near the taste of REAL coffee. But I don't always want to make a cafetiere of coffee and I certainly don't want to buy one of those expensive capsule coffee makers - apart from anything else, I've no space in my kitchen for one.

I sent off for the Smartcafé Cafetiere Hot Mug and I am delighted with it. When I opened the package I was immediately impressed with the quality of the cup and I couldn't wait to try it. I put a half a dessert spoon of ground coffee in the bottom and topped up with near-boiling water, waited a couple of minutes and inserted the little plunger and pressed it down. With a spot of warm milk, I had a perfect cup of real coffee.

The benefit of the thermal sides is that the sides stay cool while the coffee stays hot. As someone who sometimes takes his time over a cup of coffee this is just perfect. Although it doesn't have a lid the coffee stays hot for a surprisingly long time.

I have had this a few days now and am using it often and continue to be very impressed with it. For me, it's enabled me to have a cup of coffee whenever I want it with the minimum of fuss. I could have done with this many years ago but at least I've got it now and often find myself talking about how good it it with friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only perc of my job..., 3 July 2008
Cheshire Dave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
My review of the green version's been chucked down the virtual drain by Amazon, so here's a freshly brewed re-grind...
Great product, does all it says, keeps it hot for 30 mins. I've now got 3. The oldest one's 3 years old, used daily, never a problem. I dishwash them now and again with no probs, but check the instruction leaflet. No problems with grounds in the coffee, although I leave a few drops at the bottom of the mug, which is UK mug size to full (to the brim) international Brussels Euro-standards - it's not a tiny demi-tasse.
Bought one for a coffee freak friend - he likes it and takes it up mountains for that essential mountain-top brew with a view - to the amazement and amusement of friends and family, I imagine. (For that, you'll also need a flask of very hot water.)
A work colleague was also well impressed, and she also bought a couple and likes them.
Contrary to the instructions, I like to add sugar FIRST to the (black) coffe, rather than disturb the borrom sludge by adding / stirring it later. I guess adding milk would be the same.
Ideally, you need to use the coarser cafetiere grind, but it's not a prob with the 'multigrind' stuff that suits percs and filters.
For balance - my son doesn't like the idea of coffee in plastic, and thinks it gets stronger, the longer you leave it i.e. as you are drinking it - so, for that reason, he's out... otherwise, I'm still giving it a 5. May 2009.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart product, smart choice, 24 May 2011
I bought this product again in 2011 to replace one I bought in 2004! It does what it says on the tin! It is a convenient and economical way to enjoy your favourite fresh coffee; strong, weak, black, white, always hot, however you like it. Saves money, saves a trip to the coffee shop and nothing but coffee grounds to throw away. I use mine at work and it is a welcome excuse to get away from my work station and make a reviving cup of coffee. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cups leaks!, 9 Mar 2014
I was quite excited about buying this product as it came recommended by a friend who has used his for some time. However, after only a few uses, I noticed that the cup made a slushing noise as liquid has managed to work its way into the cavity that provides the thermal insulation. I've looked for how this is happening and cannot find an obvious gap so I can only assume that hot coffee is getting in when the mug expands. In fact, you can hear the air escaping as the liquid gets in. Such a shame as you can't clean it properly and I don't want to have that liquid seeping back into my coffee. So for that reason I cannot recommend this product at all and am going to look at getting a more robust stainless steel one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee solution, 27 Mar 2009
Finally I have purchased one of these. A friend has had one for years and yet I could never find a shop that stocked them. I love proper coffee but am the only one in my house who drinks it and so a full cafetiere is a bulky wasteful item. This is also far faster when I'm wanting a single cup before I head out to work in the morning. It is simple to use and the insulated mug prevents the coffee from cooling down too much whilst you wait. Sure, you can get the occasional coffee ground in the bottom of your drink but I find that with my cafetiere as well.

My only problem is the size of the cup. The plunger apparatus and grounds occupy the bottom of the mug and the max fill line is quite a long way from the top. Look at the picture. The colour change on the outside of the mug is NOT the max fill line. The max fill line is BELOW the top of the handle. Fill the mug past this line and coffee will leak out around the little tab at the top of the plunger. It all adds up to a coffee mug that holds only half a standard mug of coffee.

I love the thought behind this mug, I use mine every day and it is far superior to instant coffee. I just wish it was a little larger

1.0 out of 5 stars avoid, 8 Sep 2010
This review is from: Zyliss Cafetiere Hot Mug, Red (Kitchen & Home)
Absolute waste of money. I ordered these as replacements for my old SmartCafé mugs as it appears that Zyliss have taken over SmartCafe. Other than the addition of a lid and the new brand name they look identical. However, when plunged, no matter how careful you are, most of the coffee runs up the back of the spine filling the mug with gritty coffee. It appears that the filter is too fine. If you see Smartcafe mugs without the Zyliss name you'll probably be OK but they also start doing the same thing after a couple of years of regular use, especially if you put them in your dishwasher

5.0 out of 5 stars Get one if you want real coffee - cheaper than the cafe bars, 16 Jan 2006
By A Customer
I've owned one of these for over 16 years - use it at work every morning for that fresh coffee taste at a low cost. Having item combined means less washing up and insulation means your brew stays hot far longer than in a normal mug.Plus if its ever dropped it doesn't break like a pottery one would. Buy one!

Update - Sept 2012: I have now owned one of these since 1990 and its still used several times a day for making my office coffee. The seal round the plunger is starting to let some grinds past - but be fair - its 22 years old.

I have a second one for home use too. I cant recommend them highly enough.

They even appear in films now too: (...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee Junkies never leave home without it!, 18 April 2006
This mug is the BEST way to produce coffee without all the clutter of excess equipment. So very simple but very effective, I've not had a bad cup of coffee and never been so easy to clean than a messy cafetiere. The thermal properties of this mug also excell, as it stays hot for a long time and will not burn your hand.

Also unlike other plastic mug products, you don't taste the plastic.

Zyliss Cafetiere Hot Mug, Red