5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality.
Been looking around for a remote monitor for my video cameras (Canon HV20's) for some time and after some careful research on Amazon and Youtube, I decided on this and haven't regretted it. The build quality is solid, it feels like a proper monitor and not some plasticky five minute wonder like some I could mention.
As a videographer and blogger/vlogger, I needed an...
Published 14 months ago by TK42138

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for
Published 9 months ago by Ohmy_cz

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality., 6 May 2014
TK42138 (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aputure V-Screen VS-1 7" Digital Video LCD Field Monitor f Canon Nikon Panasonic (Electronics)
As a videographer and blogger/vlogger, I needed an external monitor as most DSLR and video camera monitors/displays are woefully inadequate - especially in bright light - plus they suck on the batteries like you wouldn't believe. This monitor has the ability to use mains electric via adaptor or rechargeable battery pack which should be noted isn't included. I won't bore you with the tech specs as it would mean a review running to several pages. All you need to know is that it has some of the features of high-end professional monitors.
Please remember it isn't a high-end professional tv monitor since they cost thousands but it certainly 'punches above its weight'. This one though technically not HD, it can input SD and HD signals via HDMI socket or traditional inputs. You can also mirror or invert the image or display as 4:3, full frame or 16:9. In otherwords this is perfect for you keen youtubers, vloggers, semi-pros, film students etc. Actually I recently spotted the same monitor being used on a professional film shoot.
The size means it's a whole lot easier to accurately set up your camera - even more so if you're using a passive or active Depth Of Field Adaptor on your video rig since a lot of DoF units invert the image which means you need some way of flipping it up the right way. This monitor can do that. It has zebra settings for lighting and colour checks so you can set up the shoot like a pro.
Almost forgot - it comes with a fold up sun shade. Full size HDMI socket is input only which considering it's an external monitor, is perfectly adequate. If you need a monitor with both HDMI input and output then you're going to be going up several levels to much more expensive monitors. I'd rather have a better quality monitor with simple HDMI input than a cheaper one with all the bells and whistles. At the end of the day - especially in videography - quality rules - not quantity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with EOS 7d but..., 7 Jun. 2014
Excellent product, works as described but not as bright as you'd like outdoors even with hood on. Originally delivered without the free battery but this was sent in a few days of me pointing this out. Unfortunately the delivery company left the parcel behind a flower pot by my front door while I was out. On the tracking note the driver commmented that I was in and had signed for it...this was impossible. I had seen the van in a layby near my house just before I got home to find it! ...never get this problem with Parcel force (Amazon please note!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 5 Sept. 2014
R. Brown (Cleveland UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the Aputure VS1 to go with a Canon XA20 professional Camcorder, the unit came with a much later version of the firmware installed than the Aputure web page shows, so there was nothing to do there - once the Monitor was set up (brightness, contrast etc.) it turned out to be a great asset when filming on location as the XA20 screen has a lot to be desired (it won't stay on the bright setting once the camera is turned off) - I cannot praise this small gem up too much, for the price and what I needed it was a snip - great value, as with a lot of foreign goods you may find the manual that comes with this item a bit on the woolly side, but a few minutes play with the Monitor soon alleviates any short fall in the written manual.

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 13 Sept. 2014
The build quality is ok. The screen is too dim and the colors are way undersaturated with no correction possible. The bad contrast makes it hard to use for focusing which was my primary reason for buying this. When the screen is on for more than 10 minutes, it makes annoying high pitched noise which I suspect will be picked up by your microphone. There are no zebras or advanced videomaking features. I do like the underlit buttons.. but I would recommend to pay up for another field monitor.