I've been a big fan of Kate and Anna McGarrigle since their first LP in the mid 70s (still one of my favourite albums) and since seeing them on their first tour of the UK. This 2-CD set features highlights from concerts in honour of Kate McGarrigle - who died of sarcoma a rare form of cancer in 2010 - by friends and family including Rufus and Martha Wainwright, Anna McGarrigle, Emmylou Harris, Antony, Norah Jones and Teddy Thompson. The records were produced by Joe Boyd and the concerts were also filmed by Lian Lunson for a feature documentary.

Naturally there is strong emotional charge running through much of the music, which somehow manages to be joyful despite the wistful nature of many of the songs. There is also a nice looseness to the performances, many of which sound almost spontaneous and therefore much more genuine. I wasn't so sure that the ensemble pieces worked as well - I would have much preferred to have heard Norah Jones doing "Talk to me of Mendocino" solo - but you can't deny the drive and enthusiasm of the `mass bands' performing "Love over and over'. My own highlights were Jenni Muldaur and Teddy Thompson doing "Come back baby", Chaim Tannenbaum (from that debut record) doing "Travelling for Jesus" and Richard and Linda Thompson's very moving "Go leave" but I'm sure everyone will have their own favourites. I think that overall I would prefer to watch the concerts on video but this is certainly a nice way to remember a very talented performer and songwriter.
on 5 August 2013
I really like Kate & Anna McGarrigle, as well as Rufus & Martha Wainwright, have several of their albums and have seen them all live (Rufus several times). For a live album, the sound quality is good and there's an impressive line up of guest performers including Emmylou Harris, Norah Jones and Teddy Thompson (also his mother Linda Thompson), however, these versions just don't match up to the originals. There are some highlights such as Teddy Thompson's version of "Saratoga Summer" but, although I greatly admire Rufus' and Martha's own work, I feel that some of the material they've chosen from their mother's catalogue doesn't quite work. Even the version of "Proserpina" (which Martha does fantastically well on her latest album) falls flat, despite the crackly intro featuring Kate's voice and the best efforts of Rufus and Sloan Wainwright. Perhaps if they had taken the best from both CD's and released a single album, this would work better.

Dave
on 6 May 2014
I wasn't whether or not this album would be worth investing in. The answer is definitely yes! Whilst there are a couple of almost duds (no names), the rest of the two CDs are amazingly excellent. The packed ensemble of McGarrigles, Wainwrights and others played and sang their hearts out in tribute to the late great Kate McGarrigle. Worth every penny.
on 20 August 2013
some beautiful heartfelt performances for example Antony(of Johnsons fame) and Richard and Linda Thompson spring to mind.
Excellent work by the siblings Rufus and Martha Wainwright but there are some fillers sprinkled throughout. Still worth buying though, good songwriter and some great performances.
on 23 July 2013
I was hoping for a lovely tribute , but got a set of concert recordings, not particularly well mixed , with perhaps too much emphasis on Rufus Wainrights's voice.

I don't see myself listening to it a second time
on 20 July 2013
A bit raw but good all the same an interesting mix of songs some songs a lot better than others
on 12 August 2013
I have loved the songs of the McGarrigle's for years. I have enjoyed music by some of the people on this album, but this is quite simply the worst CD I have ever listened to, let alone bought. They have made a very unpleasant porridge out of some amazing songs. I simply don't know how they can be done this badly. I actually thought the first track was meant as a joke, but soon realised it wasn't.
on 26 August 2013
This album is great for all those who love Kate's works. Family and friends sing the songs in their own style with their great affection for Kate coming through in the renditions. Brilliant!
on 1 August 2013
What a wonderful tribute to a much loved mum.Rufus and Martha have done their Mother proud.All the songs were sung with such emotion.
on 8 September 2013
These CD s are even better than expected. Remind me of concert evenings with rufus and co and only wish I could see this one live