5.0 out of 5 stars Eighty million record buyers can't be THAT much off the mark
The Eagles reached the 80.000.000 mark last year. Eighty million records sold - not just of "Hotel California", of course, but of their entire catalogue.
Published on 10 Feb 2003 by Docendo Discimus

1.0 out of 5 stars About the VINYL version
A couple of issues here one on Amazon the other on the pressing.

Firstly, most of the reviews linked to this VINYL pressing relate to the CD version, neither use nor ornament, when purchasing a vinyl I want reviews about the vinyl, not the CD, come on amazon get your house in order here...

Secondly, I have now had two pressings of this "high quality"...
Published 7 months ago by Shane Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Eighty million record buyers can't be THAT much off the mark, 10 Feb 2003
Docendo Discimus (Vita scholae) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hotel California (Audio CD)
Still, this album is rightly considered their artistic peak as well as their commercial one. I don't think I've ever heard any piece of popular music as well crafted as the title track...all of the Eagles were amazingly gifted musicians, and to have three guitarists of the caliber of Don Felder, Joe Walsh and Glenn Frey assembled in one band is simply astonishing.

The partiture to "Hotel California" reads a classical chamber piece. At one point eight electric and acoustic guitars are playing at the same time!
Everybody has heard "Hotel California" so many times that they forget what an incredible musical achievement it actually is - but just listen to Don Felder's 16-bar solo immediately after the last verse. That has to be one of the greatest rock guitar solos ever committed to tape.

But "Hotel California" isn't just the title track. "New Kid In Town" and "Life In The Fast Lane", with the instantly recognizable main riff by Joe Walsh, were major hit singles as well - in fact, this album doesn't contain a single weak track. "Wasted Time" is a slow, emotional ballad, and "Victim Of Love" a rock song with a crunching cut-n-shuffle riff. Joe Walsh contributes the beautiful "Pretty Maids All In A Row", and bassist Randy Meisner is the man behind "Try And Love Again", a lovely country rocker with ringing lead guitar work from Glenn Frey.
The album closes with the 7½-minute "The Last Resort", which showcases Don Henley the songwriter at his most acidic, but it is also one of his best vocal performances.

This is perhaps less of a pop album than the Eagles' previous records - some of the songs lack the instantly catchy hit quality of "One Of These Nights" or "Lyin' Eyes" - but the Eagles more than make up for this more "mature" approach to songwriting with their awesome instrumental and vocal skills. I can't imagine a more competent band than the Eagles at their mid-seventies prime, and this is the crown jewel in their musical legacy, one of the best and most succesful "adult" rock records of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars " Hotel California " DVD Audio, 21 Sep 2002
By A Customer
Why would anyone want to buy a copy of this album when you've alraedy heard all the songs a thousand times over and over gain.The first real reason would be the multi-channel remix, by the original producer/engineer Bill Szymczyk with the assistance of sound guru Elliot Scheiner. The second is the discs High Fidelity, all made possible by the excellent restoration work which has been done and is explained in the DVD Video suplementary material. The title track is the opener and the benchmark for the whole album in terms of surround sound presentation. The centre is used throughout to convey discrete events and the surrounds are used creatively to display guitars on all four sides of the room. What is impressive however is that "Hotel California" has never sounded better, in fact I would go to say that even if you've heard the track a thousand times before, this presentation is nothing short of brilliant! It fills in where the CD re-issues have lacked, with low frequencies which are deep and forceful, but there are also subtleties, with delicate sounds and percussion together with bass guitar which really benefit from the great sense of air and space which is ever present. Moving on to "Pretty Maids All In A Row" this track will settle the vinyl junkies who are still tutting at this review, the tracks slow fade is out of complete silence, there isn't even the remotest of background noise. Unlike the vinyl version. All the tracks are perfectly balanced and it is a tribute to this new medium. On the whole this disc is flawless in musical content. The DVD Video interview with the producer is interesting and novel but it sounds horrendous, which is no drawback when you hear the album. The sound options are Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS which is not mentioned anywhere on the packaging! There is also a stereo version for the purists among you. Overall and even if you know this album back to front this disc is an experience to behold. "Hotel California" is a must have DVD Audio.

4.0 out of 5 stars A marmite album?, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Hotel California (Audio CD)
How do you explain the appeal of an album like this? You love it or hate it. If you grew up with it, maybe because in 1976 the british music scene was about to be turned upside-down and battle-lines were drawn. Punk/ New Wave or ageing hippy stuff. Well I liked both, and from memory so did many others who possibly didn't want to admit it. Britain was going nowhere fast and things were stagnant in most aspects of society. So you could escape through the anarchic music that was appearing but also cling to the fading warmth of the american west coast image. California was, in the mid seventies (for most brits), a fantasy dream of wealth warmth and danger. This is were Hotel California kicks in. The music is both pop-driven and more complex than people give it credit. The lyrics counter-balance that, with a light condemnation of californian life. The whole package is a bit dis-jointed and yet...it seems to work. For many listeners, they would say they grew out of it and moved on. Yet, when I play it in the car, my teenagers immediately take it. Maybe there are parallels between life in 1976 and 2012?

1.0 out of 5 stars About the VINYL version, 8 Feb 2014
Shane Dunn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hotel California [VINYL] (Vinyl)
A couple of issues here one on Amazon the other on the pressing.

Secondly, I have now had two pressings of this "high quality" 180 gram pressing, both have been awful, first one was warped so unplayable, second one has so many clicks, hisses and jumps at the beginning as to immediately ruin ones enjoyment of the format, persevere and you are rewarded with a flat lifeless example of what is classed as one of the Eagles finest albums, it sounds like it has been pressed from a sample taken from an iPod... I have this album on old standard vinyl, cassette tape and CD and all of these sound far superior to this pressing, what a shame, what a let down, what a waste of time.
The manufacturer needs to go back to the drawing board, sack the idiot that re sampled this, sack the quality control (if there is one) and start again. Produce a quality vinyl, a quality that this album so richly deserves.

Update, half way through track three on side two the album comes to life, someone obviously found the slider that adds the correct subtleties to the album, shame they didn't re-do the whole album all over again with this correct setting.

I guess they either don't like the Eagles, vinyl or both. If you purchased this album as a route back into vinyl you would drop the format like a hot potato.

5.0 out of 5 stars The album that forever changed my understanding of music., 4 Mar 2004
Themis-Athena (from somewhere between California and Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hotel California (Audio CD)
She'd taped a cool new song off the radio, a friend told me almost 30 years ago; she'd play it for me when I'd come to her place after school.
The song was "Hotel California," and my perception of music changed then and there, once and for all. I didn't even really understand the lyrics - I had barely begun to learn English, and apart from everything else I sure as hell didn't know what "colitas" meant. But understanding all the song's words wasn't necessary. From the first chords played by Felder and Walsh, this song was different from anything I had ever heard before. The layers of electric guitar riffs alternating with and ornamenting Don Henley's vocals, soaring in the chorus and culminating in a moving and evocative duet, touched a spot deep inside me that required no further explanation. Nor, really, did the other songs on this album which I instantaneously knew I had to have. I got the message conveyed in the raw edges of "Life in the Fast Lane," Joe Walsh's riffs throughout the song, the two guitar solos and Don Henley's sneering vocals, as well as I could hear the sense of loss in "Wasted Time," "The Last Resort" and "New Kid in Town."
This is not to say, of course, that the lyrics didn't matter to me once I was able to fully understand them. Rather, that understanding deepened my appreciation for the album; and yet another level of insight was added when I went to California for the first time in 1991. By that time I was an ardent fan, and although the Eagles didn't even exist as a band back then, their music has become an inseparable part of my memory of those months - particularly the album which bears the state's name and is so often called the quintessential California rock album (not only of the 1970s) that this description in itself is bordering on cliche now, true as it may once have been.
Since the release of their 1976 studio album, the Eagles have published several other versions of "Hotel California," and I love them all. (I even - sometimes - like the ska version Don Henley and his incredible tour band performed during their 2001 "Inside Job" tour.) But ultimately, it all comes back down for me to the duet of those two electric guitars which forever redefined the way I listen to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic album for every summer!, 28 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Hotel California (Audio CD)
The Eagles have written some fantastic songs, but as an album Hotel Claifornia shows them at the peak of their career. The fantastic Joe Walsh joins the band on this album, contributing some soaring guitar riffs. The album is perfectly put together, with each song defying the expectation that there must be a dud song on the album. Some very interesting, and sometimes contraversial lyrics throughout. I love the line "Her mind is tiffany-twisted" on Hotel California.
New Kid In Town has beautiful harmony and backing vocals. Life In The Fast Lane is a guitarists song. Wasted Time makes me wonder why boy bands of today can't write heart rendering songs like this,instead of regurgitating what they heard on the radio the week before. The Last Resort is the awe-inspiring last track. Overall a beautiful album that makes you wonder why decent music like this vanished when technology came into play. One last final thing: This album has to be played in the car on a hot summers day with all the windows open, just cruising down the highway. Fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars I admit it - I like this album, 26 Mar 2009
This review is from: Hotel California (Audio CD)
I have an admission to make. I like this album.
I'm aware that this will leave me open to accusations of fitting into a white middle-aged middle class stereotype. Surely these are the only people who would happily admit such a thing. I can probably sing along to all the songs and I look forward to listening to it.
The album is definitely of it's time and limited in its appeal, especially to younger listeners but I think it deserves its place as a "Classic" 70's album.

The back sleeve describes the songs as editorials on the "singular state of mind called Southern California". With such pompous descriptions it's no wonder that many people think the album is overrated. The Eagles undoubtedly took themselves and this album very seriously but the music is excellent and I think this manages to overshadow any high falutin statements that the band intended to make.

To go through the songs one by one-
- Hotel California - Full of tortured metaphors this song sums up the theory behind the album as a whole i.e. California may look great but scratch the surface and there are some pretty unhappy people there. The music is very catchy though and it and some of the lyrics will stay in your head for a long time after hearing it.
- New Kid in Town - one of the weaker songs. Possibly a description of the fleeting nature of fame. Possibly as experienced by band members, who knows
- Life in the Fast Lane - an in your face description of how the beautiful people live. I don't think any of the Eagles lived a monastic existence at the time so I hope they were being ironic as they pass comment on a doomed high living couple
- Wasted Time - one of my favourite songs on the album. A sad, sympathetic song about a singleton on her own again and scared that she'll never find "the one". I suppose we've all been there.
- Wasted Time (Reprise) - Instrumental. Perhaps added to bring the first side of the album to a mellow close.
- Victim of Love - About the cut and thrust of the 70's dating scene. Wonders what people are really looking for beneath all the glitz
- Pretty Maids all in a row - Written by Walsh and Vitale. A meeting with an old friend prompts the writer to wonder how he has got to where he is in life and where the time has gone.
- Try and Love Again - Again a song about lost love though we are left with the impression that Meisner will battle on and somehow find a young lady with a shoulder to cry on!
- The Last Resort - At over seven minutes long this really is an editorial. On over development in California no less! I doubt Don Henley was living in a cardboard box at the time so you might say that people in glasshouses etc, etc. Yet again the music is very good so I won't criticise too much.

So I certainly like this album and would recommend it, though perhaps only to people of a similar vintage to myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars The album that forever changed my understanding of music., 2 Nov 2008
This review is from: Hotel California (Jpn) (Audio CD)
She'd taped a cool new song off the radio, a friend told me some 30 years ago; she'd play it for me when I'd come to her place after school.

The song was "Hotel California," and my perception of music changed then and there, once and for all. I didn't even really understand the lyrics -- I had barely begun to learn English, and apart from everything else I sure as hell didn't know what "colitas" meant. But understanding all the song's words wasn't necessary. From the first chords played by Felder and Walsh, this song was different from anything I had ever heard before. The layers of electric guitar riffs alternating with and ornamenting Don Henley's vocals, soaring in the chorus and culminating in a moving and evocative duet, touched a spot deep inside me that required no further explanation. Nor, really, did the other songs on this album which I instantaneously knew I had to have. I got the message conveyed in the raw edges of "Life in the Fast Lane," Joe Walsh's riffs throughout the song, the two guitar solos and Don Henley's sneering vocals, as well as I could hear the sense of loss in "Wasted Time," "The Last Resort" and "New Kid in Town."

This is not to say, of course, that the lyrics didn't matter to me once I was able to fully understand them. Rather, that understanding deepened my appreciation for the album; and yet another level of insight was added when I came to California for the first time in 1991. By that time I was an ardent fan, and although the Eagles didn't even exist as a band back then, their music has become an inseparable part of my memory of those months - particularly the album which bears the state's name and is so often called the quintessential California rock album (not only of the 1970s) that this description in itself is bordering on clich' now, true as it may once have been.

Since the release of their 1976 studio album, the Eagles have published several other versions of "Hotel California," and I love them all. (I even -- sometimes -- like the ska version Don Henley and his incredible tour band performed during their 2001 "Inside Job" tour.) But ultimately, it all comes back down for me to the duet of those two electric guitars which forever redefined the way I listen to music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eagles, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hotel California (Audio CD)
Purchased this to replace my vinyl version and wasn't disappointed The title track alone is worth the money but the rest of the album stands up to inspection. New Kid in Town, Life in the Fast Lane I think you will enjoy. Supposed to be one of there commercial albums but who cares when you enjoy the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer, 20 Dec 2012
maximus (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hotel California (Audio CD)
Not much to say about the music, because it's all been said. Timeless classic of an album which has been transferred to CD with astonishing clarity and rich sound. The opening (and title) track bursts out and fills the flat, I sit down and reminisce.