5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Mhairi McFarlane
Published 16 months ago by KiKi

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, easy read.
I laughed uncontrollably in the first few chapters and was reminded why I loved to read. although the laughter tails off, I enjoyed the book and would read more from this author.
Published 16 months ago by victoria mcfadzean

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by Mhairi McFarlane, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded Mhairi McFarlane's first book on a whim as it's not normally the type of thing I go for - and found I got so into it I could barely put it down. I was really pleased to see this new one and, like the first, it didn't disappoint. Yes it's predictable but if you want a good girlie read this one's for you. The characters are hugely likeable, the story zips along and it's a great easy read. Am looking forward to the next book now - though I think I may need to wait a while. If you like Marian Keyes or JoJo Moyes then I think you will like Mhairi McFarlane too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance with bite, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Paperback)
Yes, ok, so the plot is a little clichéd but how many romance novels are entirely original these days? McFarlane manages to elevate the simple plot line into a throughly enjoyable and well developed novel. Anna is much more than the shy recovering fat girl, she's funny, witty and self assured. Sure she might undersell herself to the opposite sex but she's smart and quick witted - she is most definitely not a shell of a character. James, too, is a more complex character than you would expect; he hasn't undergone some miraculous transformation since high school, in fact he's still a bit of an ass, but he works hard at making you like him and by the end of the novel you do, faults and all.

The romance and relationship between Anna and James builds slowly, escalating from a friendship into a much deeper connection. The struggle that Anna undergoes in equating this new, mature James to her high school tormentor is executed well and her inability to keep away from this charismatic character is easy to sympathise with. The budding friendship between the two main characters was easily the most enjoyable aspect of the novel for me, providing plenty of laughs and enough 'will they won't they' to keep you engaged throughout.

The novel switches between two points of view, Anna's and James', which I always really like as I feel it really helps to develop the characters well, particularly the male character which can often be somewhat neglected in favour of the heroine. However, I did feel that as a consequence of the narrative split the secondary characters weren't as well developed in McFarlane's second offering, but what detail is offered is more than enough to give the reader a firm idea of their nature and makes sure that the main characters aren't left adrift in a friendless life consuming search for love.

Despite the humour laced throughout "Here's Looking at You" there is a deeper, darker edge to McFarlane's novel. The subject of bullying is a controversial one and yet remains surprisingly popular in the world of fiction. I have to say that McFarlane does handle it exceptionally well. She doesn't brush the consequences aside and merely use it as a plot point for the advancement of her characters but really tackles the nitty gritty of the issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, funny, witty, contemporary, really enjoyed it., 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Kindle Edition)
There are not enough words to describe how refreshing I found this book. More Please?
The main characters are in their early 30's yet, I could relate to them easily. I didnt find Anna inducing too much sympathy from myself, more empathy and understanding of her situation and admiration for her courage. ( who doesnt remember the faceless numpties, who thought they were IT, from their school days ?)
Althought the main plot line concerns Anna's past, her dealings with James and nerdy Laurence the humour and superb 'one liners' in this book make for a humorous, witty, yet, sensitive read. I found myself laughing out loud in places, especially the trials of dealing with wedding dress shop,owners and all the falsehoods and frippery which so often go with such occasions.
Not often I give a book such a good review, but this book is so different from others, so engaging, yet, not too soppy.
Would definitely buy more books from this author. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, Clever, Addictive and so much better than you would think!, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Paperback)
I really looked forward to 'Here's Looking at You' and reading and enjoying 'You had me at Hello' and this book did not disappoint.

Like the first book, the characters where likeable and believable and the dialogue witty and current. We all know people like the ones in the book from the vain characters posting selfies on facebook to the so trendy it hurts but totally ridiculous hipsters (James' office reminded me a lot of the series Nathan Barley particularly Harris in his silly hats!) to people using text speak in ordinary conversation- Lol - cringe!.

The story was funny, compelling and the writing clever which is why it annoys me that Mhairi McFarlane gives her books such dreadful cheesy titles. See a book with the title 'You had me at Hello' or 'Here's looking at You' one would expect some mindless chick-lit dross and these books are so much better than that!

Ignore the title and the pink cover - read the book - its great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 28 Dec. 2013
P. Dhinsa (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Paperback)
Mhairi McFarlane has produced another beautifully written story that is a heart warming and emotional. The characters have flaws and I think that this makes the story very believable. James, is a good looking but arrogant man. Anna is a woman with no self-confidence. Mhairi takes these two characters and lets the reader see all the issues that they face. It's great not to read a chick lit book where the two main characters are perfect in every way.

The story begins with James and Anna being at school together. Anna is tormented by her peers, and this is crucial to see where she has developed her lack of self confidence. James is one of her protagonists at school. She has a crush on him but he helps to humiliate her in front of the entire school.

The story moves on fifteen years when there is a school reunion and they meet again. This is not one of those stories where the the guy has been mean to the girl that he secretly loves...cue a few years and they fall in love. It's realistic, Anna is still suffering from being bullied and James has a beautiful wife. There are real issues that are dealt with in a sensitive way.

It's a lovely story and I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have done it again!, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Kindle Edition)
I read "you had me at hello" and loved it, I wasn't sure if "Here's looking at you" could compete, but it most certainly has done. Loved, loved, loved the story and all the characters. So when is the next book released?

5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph, 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Kindle Edition)
Review: oh I loved this book. I enjoyed this authors first offering but for me, this one is twice as good. I raced through this book-wanting to find out what happened next. I loved the premise behind it and I could imagine myself in her shoes facing up to my school bullies and them not know who I was because I was hugely successful and gorgeous looking now! I out myself in Anna's shoes and I loved the ride that I had.

I think Anna makes for an interesting leading lady. She is clearly very insecure and so some of the choices she makes aren't ones she should be making or are rushed, but this makes for some very interesting moments in the book. Her sister provides the comedy in this novel, her ways with her finances and her fiancé are really entertaining and yet she comes through in the end, helping Anna and helping herself. Bully James seems totally cute, I can't believe he used to behave that way in high school, but like Anna, I found him difficult to trust initially...

There's something for everyone in this novel, interesting historical exhibitions, two weddings planned, a fabulous fabulous best friend and a will they won't they love story that will have you on the edge of your seat reading this one! The way this writer explains things an describes something is also a truly beautiful element of the book. She uses the most fantastical figurative language and I think I'm going to use some of her examples whe teaching similes at school from now one because some are deep and meaningful and some downright hilarious! I so enjoyed this book, it was a quick read, an enjoyable read and has stayed with me since the moment I put it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars A quirky modern romance., 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Kindle Edition)
Their past and present collide for the main characters of this story, set in a very contemporary scenario. A nicely descriptive narrative, and a storyline of a romance that is not at all saccharine sweet. I did rather guess the outcome after reading the first chapter. However the interesting part is how they have to overcome many hurdles before getting there.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can I say?, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, best book I've read in months. Loved the story & the characters, just a crying shame it had to end,.....I am now purchasing M M' s other book, can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aww brilliant!, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Here's Looking At You (Kindle Edition)
Anyone who has been the victim of bullying or indeed nursed someone through the hell that some people find amusing to dish out, will identify with characters in this book, and I actually found myself sympathising with one of the perpetrators now he'd grown up...I would love a sequel! A love story we'd all like to have....

Here's Looking At You