5.0 out of 5 stars Courageous and inspirational
James Wharton writes from the heart with a frank and sometimes jaw dropping recollection of his time in the army. His continued fight for equality is both heart warming and saddening at the same time, saddening in the way that equality is a fight and not a right.
Published 15 months ago by Curtis Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
It's OK but really it's nothing more. Don't know what I expected, but I wasn't truly convinced by this account.
Published 5 months ago by Andrew Poole

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a gay soldier, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book as I was interested in what James had to say about being gay in the army but found it was so much more than that. It is a good introduction into the life of a British soldier and I learnt much about what it means to be posted to war torn countries. It's a well written book and very readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
I am still reading it but i am about half way through and i can see being 18 myself i feel i can really relate to what he talks about in the book. a great read :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not yet read all the book, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed it so far. Looking forward to reading all of the book. Sounds very interesting so far and so sad for so many

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming book, 24 Sep 2013
Jonathan (Birmingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable book which shows how much attitudes and society have changed in the last few years. Uplifting and encouraging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an inspiring young man, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished reading this book. I downloaded it as it was recommended to me and initially was a bit wary. How wrong I was. I'm a middle aged married woman so maybe not the average reader here, but I found James' words got straight to the point. No messing around, he just got on with it and has produced an inspiring read which I'm sure will strike a chord with many many young people out there. Good on him. I really enjoyed the book and wish him and Thom all the best for their future.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be a must read for all older children, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
This true account of one mans journey to a final satisfactory state of acceptance should be compulsory reading to all who would have a bigoted opinion of another persons way of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
Out in the army is a great read, simple as that. It's funny, it's touching, it's thought provoking, it's honest and it's well written too - can't ask for more than that from any book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and honest, 30 Aug 2013
I really enjoyed this book - very moving and honest. I recommend it unreservedly. It gives an insight into just how brave James must have been to come out as he did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
This book is an inspiration, what a fantastic life James has had and influence he has been. Buy now what are you waiting for!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting early life in the Army, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Out in the Army: My Life as a Gay Soldier (Kindle Edition)
Brave lad comes out and has challenging experiences professionally and personally, some fun and some not. Helped by some supportive colleagues and the Army on the cusp of change on its way to accepting gay soldiers. I don't know what he's doing now he's left the Army, but I wish him well.

Rather matter of fact writing and some more descriptive text at times - describing places, emotions etc would have made it a more powerful read. Of particular interest to me I suppose as I am gay and was in the services, but over 30 years ago now and the situation was different then.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›