on 30 January 2014
There are some very nice recipes in this book but I do have two major issues.

1) Slow - Not Slow Cooker. The recipes are designed for oven cooking (although slow cooker is mentioned at the start) and not for use with slow cooker. This I feel is misleading but OK, there are some good tips and a number of recipes are transferable with a little imagination.

2) It's almost unreadable - This is really unforgivable. The font on a lot of the instructions are a kind of mashed stylised bold italic (see the word 'Slow' on the cover - where you can't read the end bit of the 'w' so it looks like Slou - that but much much smaller) paragraphs of the stuff, and when written in white on a light brown background, it is just just awful. Terrible to read normally, bl**dy awful with flour covered hands in a busy kitchen.

There's some good recipes here, some interesting tips, but blimey they make you work to get them.
on 20 January 2014
Would give it no stars if an option. The book is unreadable on kindle and shows no sign of having been formatted for a kindle. Small print size and in large blocks of text across the pages. Increasing text size on kindle means you cannot read across a full line of text or down from line to line as normal. The many black and white photos add nothing to the text. I would not recommend this kindle version.
on 19 January 2014
I purchased the Kindle version of this book, and cannot comment on the content as it is well night unreadable on my paperwhite. The pages are in very light greyscale (not back on white) and formatted such as to be almost illegible on my Kindle Paperwhite.

"No problems" thought I - easy to download on my tablet or laptop, the pages probably have a coloured background and will be more legible, only to find Amazon blocks me from downloading the item I have purchased on the laptop or my tablet with a message "This item is not available for this device"

Do not purchase on the Kindle is my advice. Sadly, I cannot comment on the book James has published, much as I would like to, as I cannot read it!
11 comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2012
You may associate the words 'Slow Cooking' with using a slow cooker. James Martin even suggests you dust yours off at the start of the book. That's the last mention. Every recipe is cooked in the oven or on the hob ... gobbling up expensive gas or electricity for a couple of hours and involving the cook hanging around to give things a stir or add further ingredients at a later stage. Not at all what I was expecting.
11 comment35 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2012
Great fan of James Martin and have his books and use lots of his recipes to which gives me lots of compliments.But I do not like this book at all. For slow cooking I was looking for an everyday cooking ,to either put in slow cooker or to time in oven for coming home from work to feed my family, These are not recipes that you would use for coming in from work. It is also nothing like mother or grandmothers recipes to which it claims.I was so so disapointed in this book, that I would not recomend it to anyone.

Regards
Lynne
0Comment29 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2012
I got given a copy of this recently (by my mother who loves James and Saturday Morning Kitchen!) and I have used this so often already! It doesn't claim to be anything other than simple recipes for people who want to leave something in the oven and then eat something really tasty. I tried the lamb in hay for a dinner party to impress and it was seriously easy and everyone thought it was something really diffirent! I can't recommend this highly enough that this book is very simple, yet every recipe is full of flavour and impresses everyone. The chicken with chorizo and that stuff he chops up to put on top of a simple roast chicken, is one of the best roasts I've had in a long time! Buy, chose recipe, get stuff, shove in a oven and enjoy!
on 21 May 2015
I always enjoy James Martins recipes . He is a good down to earth cook Is recipes are easy to follow and I
Am building up quite a few of his books now
That's it! I'm not sure hw t g on with this as I'm a fairly newcomer to I pads (I am only 84!) and actually enjoying all this Thank you !
on 11 March 2015
Bought this as a birthday present for someone who had just bought themselves a new "Slow Cooker". Unfortunately it is not a book of recipes for a slow cooker but rather a book of recipes which need slow cooking!!!!!!! However, it does have some delicious recipes, so all is not lost.
on 10 January 2014
The price tempted me to purchase this book. I like watching James so I thought I'd give the book a try. I'm not sure about how the recipes will pan out being slow cooked, but they are versatile enough for regular cooking. I have yet to try the recipes, but will give it a try soon. There are numerous recipes for roasts, stews and soups.....and that's the type of cooking I'd like to explore more.

I rated this book 4 stars because the font is too small for the Kindle Fire HD. You can zoom in, but this will prove to be problematic whilst I try to cook and follow recipes. The photography and layout is wonderful, but it is tricky to read.
on 24 April 2014
This is a great book - and I would have bought it just to get two standout recipes! One is the French Onion Soup which is undoubtedly the best FOS I've ever tasted (and my guests say so too!); the other is the slow-cooked pork - absolutely scrummy!!!