5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I was hoping for the best from the best - a comprehensive collection of savoury and sweet sauces. I was certainly not disappointed.
The recipies are clear and straightforward - even the more sophisticated sauces don't feel daunting and all are accompanied with variations and serving suggestions which I found most helpful.
The book has a clean, modern layout with...
Published on 19 April 2010 by Lesley Grace

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy on Kindle!
Published 1 month ago by Jim Whyte

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 April 2010
Lesley Grace - See all my reviews
The book has a clean, modern layout with step by step and colourful illustrations which even as a competent cook I find inspirational.
This is a must have present for my gourmet friends as well as any novice cook.
I'm sorry it took me so long to buy such a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sauce mystery solved!, 13 July 2010
Sauces, an essential part of the culinary process in my view, have always puzzled me! I end up doing the same old thing - so why not refer to the master in such matters. Michel Roux has produced the answer to my prayers in his book of sauces, a recent, updated publication. The sheer variety enables one to put the correct sauce with anything - savoury and sweet, with an invaluable section on matching sauces to food. From basics like stocks to thermidor sauce via all the classics; chutneys and salsa's are also included.
A user-friendly book - I particularly like its size. I wish I'd had it years ago when it was first published.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sauce bible, 31 Dec 2009
Alexandra English (Reigate, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a fantastic reference guide to have on your shelves. I love the reference table showing which sauces to try with different meats. For the keen cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cookery manual, 22 Dec 2011
H. Fraser (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best and the most comprehensive cookery books for a cook with some experience. Full of mouthwatering suggestions for sauces and accompaniments, both savoury and sweet. A great pity this wonderful manual, nicely illustrated, seems to be available only second-hand, it deserves a reprint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 28 April 2011
Yoel Ben David (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book and it has inspired me to more involved in french cooking. I enjoy the challenge and Michel roux is certainly the inspiring character that is leading me on

4.0 out of 5 stars Sauce mania, 17 Mar 2010
S. Midcalf (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
There is a sauce for every dish in here. It is a fairly serious read - not a microwave in 5 minutes in sight, but if you want to know how to make sauces properly then this is a great book. It will take me years to get through them. There are some ideas I would never have thought of but will be trying soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 28 May 2013
this book is bigger and thicker than id expected. the index is good, it has recommendation bubbles on each sauce like 'goes well with beef' for example and anything it refers to in the recipe that is also in the book it give you the page for the thing it referring to so its very clear and easy to follow. the step by step pictures are big as well which helps of coarse. it also has a bit at the front telling the equipment needed and explaining the effects and reasons for things such as whisking, blending, thickening, reducing and enriching sauces. stocks and marinades are also covered.
the reason i didnt give it 5 is because some of the sauces need specific ingredients that arent just lying around the average kitchen but his isnt a huge problem for some people i suppose if you are serious about cooking and like to stock up and add new stuff to the larder. some of the recipes are beyond me but from what ive seen so far there are plenty of well achievable little sauces in there as well that im looking forward to tasting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great asset to any kitchen, 23 Jan 2012
P. R. Tavener (Suffolk England) - See all my reviews
Excellent book now part of my must have collection. Easy to follow any good cook will love it with a great selection of recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better bechamel!, 3 Dec 2010
Mr. D. Boocock (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the 3rd Michel Roux Sr book I have bought, and like the others, I am not disappointed. The book is packed full of great recipes, with lots of helpful explanations and tips from the great chef. As with the Pastry and Eggs books, the writing style is easy and clear, and the photographs are lovely. As a chef myself, I can tell you that Michel's books are a must-have for anyone who enjoys cooking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy on Kindle!, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Sauces (Kindle Edition)
This should never have been issued in a Kindle edition. It is probably wonderful as a full-colour coffee table book but loses everything when viewed on the Kindle. It can only be read in tiny print since when the font size is increased the text does not fit the page and the page does not re-size to fit the Kindle. the large number of black and white illustrations end up as greyish blobs and don't make you want to try the recipes. It probably contains lots of wonderful sauces but I am unlikely to bother reading the Kindle with a magnifying glass to find out!

Sauces