4.0 out of 5 stars A handy light weight machine
Published on 10 Mar 2012 by Roy Webb

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the Battery life.
My V4899 B&D Dustbuster is about 2 years old, and doesn't get an enormous amount of use. Even so, the battery in it is at the stage where it provides full power for maybe 30 seconds and then goes feeble, feebler, feebler and so on.

Published on 17 Nov 2009 by AlanMusicMan

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy light weight machine, 10 Mar 2012
Roy Webb (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
Other than general use cleaning up crumbs etc I mainly use the dustbuster for cleaning up my model rail layout which I am in the process of building. There can be a variety of saw dust, general dust, and plastic cuttings etc, and it deals with these very efficiently. The crevice tool,and brush are indispensable for these tasks, and I would not be without it.A battery charge lasts just about 8 minutes, which is usually ample, but this brings me to a large negative. The machine does not have a battery charging indicator, so one is never sure when it is available for full usage, although the instructions request a 24 hour charge from new, I don't know whether it needs this long on subsequent charges. In an age when most things from cameras to battery powered screwdrivers have a power indicator I look on this as a gross omission on Black & Deckers part. For this I have deducted a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nifty little machine., 5 Aug 2010
Mrs. WMRI Meagher "page turner" (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
The 4.8v Dustbuster is everything I had been looking for at the right price: lightweight, easy to store, lasts long enough to whiz round kitchen surfaces, and is simple to empty. Moreover, there is no filter bag that constantly needs to be cleaned. An efficient product which is good value!

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the Battery life., 17 Nov 2009
AlanMusicMan (North Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

I discovered that getting the battery replaced was going to cost rather more than getting a replacement unit (when including VAT and P&P etc), because it's an engineers job to replace the batteries which are (I kid you not) soldered to the motor assembly! How environmentally friendly is that? 0 out of 10 for B&D

A further 0 out of 10 for them because, when I contacted them to ask if they DO have a newer product with user replaceable batteries, they replied that they don't! That includes this model too. (BTW you'll find their range of handheld Vacs on their web site just a couple of clicks away from the proud statement from their CEO that says how hugely environmentally friendly their products are). It maybe that their recent merger with Stanley Tools will bring a little 21st century thinking into their designs. Let's hope so.

So anyway, now, I am looking for a Hand vac that has a user-replaceable battery. I'd advise you to do the same, unless you want to be buying again and junking a perfectly good vac, with just a duff battery in a couple of years.

There you go, a cleaner review that hasn't used the word "sucks" - doh!

Alan T

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor suction, 26 Mar 2014
Claire Quinn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Decker Dustbuster, 4.8 Volt - Dark Grey (Kitchen & Home)
If the whole point of this is to pick up stuff...it doesnt do a very good job. It does pick up very light things but its generally not very good so dont waste your money or simply....spend more and get a better product

also it has a wierd design flaw whereby the air that is sucked in is expelled out through the bottom of the device ( beneath the handle) so when you lower it to the crumbs or dust in question the air being blown out actually scatters some of the mess !!! Did they do a usability study on this .....they cant have.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Cleaning The Caravan, 12 Sep 2012
Bonnie (N.W. England) - See all my reviews
We had one previously, which we had used for years until the rechargeable battery packed in. Is is probably cheaper to buy a new one at this price han get the battery pack replaced. So we did. It came well packaged.
It comes with a wall mountable plate to which the charging power connector is attatched. It charges from the mains and the power supply is included.
It is not as powerful as the standard home vacuum cleaner, but we never expected it to be. Its fine for picking up bits from the caravan floor and easily emptied.

5.0 out of 5 stars black and decker dustbuster, 19 Oct 2010
Excellent little gadget to have in the house. Really quite powerful suction (much more than alternatives on the market)

1.0 out of 5 stars I had to return this item, 26 April 2014
BMW, Oxford (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Not a lot of suction and not suitable to pick up little bird feathers or bird seeds.
I had to return this product and bought much better Black & Decker DV9610N Cyclonic Action Dustbuster - 9.6 Volt instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Mar 2014
It simply does not do the job. Aspiration power is very weak and the shape of its "mouth" makes it cumbersome to use. I'm considering returning it.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD LITTLE HOOVER, 15 April 2011
As a little hoover for picking up fluff and bits off the floor, this is very good!

It is perfect for our flat which has wooden floors as we can pickup any bits as and when we see them, emptying is easy as well by unscrewing the nozzle.

It's also good for using on the sofa to pickup bits that stick to it. I would highly recommend this little hoover for small jobs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dustbuster one of the best buys ever, 4 May 2011
This Black and Decker dustbuster is the best purchase I've made for along time. This little device is lightweight, charges quickly and is quite powerful. You can't see when it is full, but the suction reduces so this gives a good indication, it is very easy to empty by just twisting the handle and nozzle in opposite directions (no instructions needed!). It is perfect for using to hoover the stairs, to whizz round the edges of the hall or in the car without getting the big hoover out. I wish I had got one of these sooner, definitely worth the money.

Black & Decker Dustbuster, 4.8 Volt - Dark Grey