4.6 out of 5 stars4,656

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 August 2015
I wasn't looking to buy a memory stick, but after purchasing an item on Amazon I was only a few pounds away from getting free delivery, and while perusing the top-up items, I stumbled upon this little gem and for under £4.00, I think it's a bargain.

Firstly, it comes in frustration free packaging; a cardboard envelope, so it's nice an easy to open. The memory stick itself is nicely designed,I love the metal casing with embossed logo, and it's tiny, it can easily fit on your keyring, or in your wallet/purse.

The actual usable capacity is 14.6GB, this is the case with all drives, you never get whats stated on the drive. The write speed is pretty slow at 4MB/s, if you need it for occasional use then it will be fine. If you intend to transfer lots of video or other large files then you might want to invest in a USB 3.0 memory.

Another slightdown side is there is no end cap for the drive, so if it's attached to your keyring and is in an out of your pocket you could get dust and dirt on the contacts.

But overall the drive is excellent value for money, it's good quality, a compact size and it does the job I want it to.
on 22 September 2013
The good :- It is incredibly well made especially in a world dominated by plastic flash drives. It's small - about 1.5 inches long.
The Very BAD : - It's inexcusable to write at this mind boggling ultra low speed - 5MBs / sec.
This is the slowest USB I've ever used. The Sandisks USBs are the fastest by far. I bought an Integral that failed after 3 usages. I shall stick to the Sandisks from now on.
11 comment|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this four months ago, for my G5 Desktop PPC Mac (OSX 10..5.8) and it worked perfectly for a week. I'm no power user, I simply needed it to transfer Scrivener based writing projects between my PPC PowerBook (same OS) and my desktop, nothing else - no music, photos, videos, just text - in a single file of less than 5gb, saved to disk and transferred once a day.
The first sign of a problem was, as other reviewers have noted, extremely slow transfer speeds, followed in the third week of use by a real overheating issue - it became too hot to hold in my hand after about an hour simply being plugged in via USB.
But it still worked, and I needed that transfer at the end of every day, so I stuck with it.
Three days ago, on plugging it in to my desktop to transfer the file, I began to get audio feedback (static white noise) through my speakers as if there was a hard drive accessing. Today, having saved to USB then transferred my book project across from Powerbook Scrivener to Desktop Scrivener and attempted to open it as normal, Scrivener is warning me that the file is corrupt on the USB drive because basic file formatting info is missing.
So, I reckon I have a dying drive, that is beginning to corrupt data.
At least I caught it in time and haven't lost any work. But I write for a living, and I simply can't trust this make or model at all now. The thought of losing a whole days work halfway through my latest book doesn't even bear thinking about...which is why I'm not even going to ask for a refund.
Sorry to bang on, but it's my data that is being entrusted to this piece of technology, and I reckon I should be entitled to a decent level of security and safety for my files. I thought I'd be safe paying twice price of the cheapest 32gb stick on Amazon, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I just wanted to give you an objective review that shows the symptoms of this drive beginning to fail.
I hope this helped.
66 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2014
Bought 2 of these, a 32gb and a 8gb. Both of them show the same issue where when transferring a large file the transfer rate starts nice and quick for the first 3 or 4 seconds, and then nose dives to about 4MB/s which is slower than a stick i purchased a number of years ago. I have since bought a "Integral 32gb courier USB 3" stick which is much faster even on a USB 2 port and is worth the extra few pounds for something that actually performs
33 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2013
To begin with it failed to work on some of my devices, so I brought it home to refomat it on my computer. Two computers have failed to be able to refomat it, although they both say that it needs to be reformatted before it can be used. The reformatting process just hangs indefinitely (including overnight in one case), and then I get the error message that it cannot be reformatted. I am going to have to see about returning it.
on 20 February 2014
I received a fake. An 8GB drive masquerading as 32GB drive, as verified by the excellent h2testw sortware. Please beware.
on 28 March 2014
only have these a short while, so will update in a year or so. So far they are faultless. I have used all the space/ then formatted and now am using the same space again for important files. I forget this is on my keyring that is how small it is. it seems very robust and my only worry is the inners will fall out someplace and lose all my data. until that happens I give 10/10.
**update 20/04/2014**
One word faultless, no two words, faultless but slow, that's three.

Update ****20/06/2014*****
No actual problems, having re written to this completely a number of times. There is a small issue I have found regardless of computer/device used. When inserting the flash into a usb 2 or 3 slot it sometimes does not register to the device, it seems that you do not have to push it all the way in to get it to do so, as doing so seems to disconnect it sometimes. if this happens and your computer is not fully up to date with drivers etc then it can slow everything to a crawl and not work at all, restarting resolves this. I found that having the volume turned on provides an audio signal that the drive is indeed far enough in the usb slot and I then wait until it shows up in devices on my pc. This could cause some people a problem but if you are at least aware of this you can be sure there is a work around rather than giving up and returning it. I have since purchased more as these are pretty fast for streaming etc just a bit slow on the transferring of items. They never get lost that's for sure as they clip on a key ring very securely, only marking on the casing not actually denting or degrading it yet
Last ******UPDATE******
I eventually got fed up with the item not working every time it was inserted into a usb slot. Amazon kindly replaced it and I sent the old one back after 6x wiping and running h2testw a few times after formatting. The new one is so perfect I wonder why I waited so long to replace it. My wife's is still working perfectly, and now both items transfer at the same speeds. One difference, the new one has almost 1gb more space than the old one. 58.6gb compared to my wifes and my old one that had 57.6gb. faultless product so now I am happy thank you amazon
on 17 November 2013
Arrived in a few days and surprised just how small this stick is but looked robust being made of aluminium. Unfortunately it didn't work, whilst my PC's could see the stick in My Computer the stick wouldn't work! Returned for refund which Amazon have acknowledged.
on 7 January 2013
I bought the Kingston Technology 64GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler in the champaigne coloured metal casing. By today's standards (January 2013) 64GB is huge. My previous USB stick was one of the iamakey types with 16GB (also recommended). When you are looking for a new USB stick, there are 3 things to consider; capacity, speed, and physical form. Capacity and speed have been reduced by commoditization - there are lots of sticks on offer with any common combination of capacity and speed. So the differentiator is physical form.

Normally I like to hang my USB stick from a keyring attached to my belt - along with house and car keys. This means that it is exposed to temperatures, shock and vibration, and risk of loss. Buying a USB stick with a metal case looks nice, and is rugged. With a metal cased USB stick the hole is usually in the case and once it is on a key-ring it is safe. Look again at all the plastic USB sticks. The rings and clips are very flimsy. You might get lucky and not lose the stick WHEN the clip or ring breaks - but the clip or ring WILL break.

The datatraveler came with NO installed software or rubbish from the manufacturer. It was formatted and completely clean. (Normally I format them myself to obiterate the unwanted files.)

The Kingston DataTraveler is as attractive in real life as it looks on the page. It is small, sleek, and under-stated. Your data won't get lost, you will have lots of space and the speed of USB 2.0. And, oh, it is good value for money too.
66 comments|281 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2014
Bought it to copy music files between PCs. Spent time selecting and copying them & all seemed to be OK (64GB takes time!).
When I then tried to read the data files I got message that the drive needed formatting.
To be fair, Portabledevices2010 refunded without quibble.
Managed to find a different make cheaper and await delivery.