4.0 out of 5 stars Pre-school reunion gone bad
I have read a few Scandinavian crime thrillers now, hooked in by Stieg Larsson. This story begins back in 1968 in a pre-school housed in an attractive building on top of a hill, surrounded by pine trees. However, within this idyllic setting an unpleasant regime of bullying is allowed to flourish: group dynamics and an uncaring teacher allow the brutal victimisation of two...
Published 24 months ago by maggiefb

1.0 out of 5 stars Obvious, linear storyline
I have never written a review before but feel compelled to in order to encourage you to save your money.

From the outset the motivation of the criminal is completely obvious and we learn nothing about the character as the story unfolds. From this point of view the story is like the tv show Columbo but it's missing the genius of Peter Falk in the protagonist of...
Published 9 months ago by Alex C

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars must read, 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Gingerbread House (Hammarby Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Thought I knew who did it very early on and continued to think this all the way through just waiting for the police to find out what I knew .... Wow was I sooo wrong what an ending

5.0 out of 5 stars All is not what it seems, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Gingerbread House (Hammarby Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A preschool in a small town. Lots of children some of whom are cruel and nasty. A preschool teacher who didn't care and didn't try to deal with the issues. Forty years later the anger, hurt and humiliation break out into the open. Carin Gerhardsen paints a picture of small town life and small town people which is believable. She also paints a picture of neglect, violence, bad parenting and bad teaching. The question is: who is the real killer? The teacher who allowed a gang of children to bully and humiliate other pupils? The killer who seeks revenge? The children who were bullies? A chilling tale brilliantly written with enough twists and turns to keep you turning the pages.

As fine an example of Nordic writing as you are likely to get. Buy it. Read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another well constructed Swedish thriller, 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Gingerbread House (Hammarby Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Both thoughtful and gripping in turn, this tale of how a lonely and unloved childhood can influence someone's life permanently is deeply engrossing. The murder of a very successful young man, an estate agent lured to an empty house in Stockholm, is quickly followed by a series of bizarre killings. Inspector Sjoberd and his crime team are finding it difficult to find any connection between the victims but suspect a loner called Thomas whose footprints were found at the first crime scene.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 28 July 2014
I really loved this book. I found it well written and the characters easy to relate to. I did not find the language stilted as another reviewer had mentioned, and thought the plot moved along at a good pace. There was enough information given about the police investigation but also parts from the murderers diary including a nice twist at the end. This was one of those books I sat and read in a day and I have just ordered the second in the series which I look forward to reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing read., 25 Aug 2014
I'd met several readers who said they'd not got past the author's sometimes lengthy descriptions of domesticity, but I persevered and am glad I did so. I found the 'twist' at the end a complete surprise, yet logical and believable. My one small quibble is over the forensic evidence relating to the sub-plot theme of rape, but I won't specify it here, to avoid a spoiler. Will definitely read more by this author, as I loved the settings and felt I was really there, which is rare.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gingerbread House by Car in Gerhardsen, 25 July 2014
This review is from: The Gingerbread House (Hammarby Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I gave this book a five because it's a very good read had me in its grip from the start. The story has a twist and you need to read it in full to get the answer.
The book it's self gives you a clear picture of the scenes and it's very descriptive in details helping the reader feel the emotions the victims feels and the person who deals the deed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmmm!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Gingerbread House (Hammarby Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
"I'm not altogether sure if I want to carry on reading this book" That was my thought each time a murder happend, it was a bit too gruesome for me. But I'm pleased I did as it was enthraling right to the end. I'm not sure why we had the other story line plonked in the middle,but hay hoo!

I would only recomend this book to someone who would be able to take the gruesomeness on the chin.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tale to keep you guessing., 21 Jun 2014
This is a story that will keep you turning pages to find out what will happen next and more importantly - why. This was a book that I found hard to put down though there were parts where I felt that the translation was a bit child-like in the way of expression. That's the reason for the four star rating and not a five star rating! Nevertheless, the story is well put together, with one lead to the next and for me the obvious answer was not the real answer. A super read, that will keep your interest and keep you going if you're on a boring journey or a boring wait somewhere. The story is to my mind original and intriguing. My guess is most people will enjoy this and perhaps relate to some of the incidents that he or she may have experienced themselves in the past. Give it a whirl... worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars manes hard to pronounce, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Gingerbread House (Hammarby Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
i really enjoyed the story of this book but found the names very difficult to read and it was a bit of a put of but storey was really good

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read, 25 May 2014
This review is from: The Gingerbread House (Hammarby Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was gripping right from the start and develops quite quickly but the sting is in the tail/tale. hey ho

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The Gingerbread House (Hammarby Book 1)