Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 February 2010
What an absolutely incredible record this is!
Its like the whole folk movement of the 60s didn't happen till now.
Fragile beauty runs seamlessly through each track.
Joan Baez and Bob Dylan must be the TEENAGE sisters grandparents.
A timeless classic that gets better with every listen.
Maturity far beyond their years just what the future bring is anyone's guess.
Going by this record life can only help enrich an already well executed take on life's twists and turns.
This beautiful album by Swedish sisters Klara and
Johanna Soderberg displays extraordinary musical
maturity and technical dexterity given that they
are only 16 and 19 years old respectively.

The sound they make, however, is as old as Methuselah.

The radiant simplicity and purity of vocal tone displayed
in these twelve economical arrangements is magical.
Their voices combine in harmonies which possess the
capacity to express complex and convincing emotion.

The Roches (sisters Maggie, Terre and Suzzy) in their
glorious heyday come to mind from time to time and
that is no bad thing. It has everything to do with
the combination of pathos, gently quirky humour and
soaring vocal pyrotechnics.

The album flows from A to Z in a seamless
line of inspired and flawless artistry.

It's difficult to pick out highlights when everything is
so good but standout tracks would have to include :
the whistful 'A Window Opens' with its waltz-time melody and
terse laconic narrative; the heart-wrending country-folk
lament 'Ghost Town'; 'I Met Up With The King', with its
hauntingly surreal imagery and curious instrumental decoration
and the blissfully plaintive reflections of 'Wills Of The River'.

The true beauty of this music arises from the simple fact
that everything we hear is exactly in the right place.
Balanced, coherent and consummately performed, First Aid Kit's
debut album is, a truly remarkable and memorable achievement.

Essential.
on 9 May 2013
I love this CD. I know others have said it isn't so good, it being their first one, but if you listen to it more than once you will see how wonderful it is. Highly recommend a listen.
on 17 February 2013
Yeah - pretty and damn good just about sums them up I'd say. Some amazing vocal harmonies in deceptively simple songs. For those who like voice, you'd be hard pushed to find a stronger pair anywhere in the current musical universe.
on 21 August 2013
This is the first album I bought by First Aid Kit after hearing them on the Radcliffe and Maconie show on Radio 6 and I can honestly say I have never heard anything as exciting or beautiful in a long time. This must by my most listened to album on my iPod apart from their other one!
on 13 August 2010
I saw First Aid Kit at Lounge on the Farm and was mesmerised - I came straight home and bought this. The CD's not quite as fabulous as the live act, but three of the tracks are magical and it's worth owning just for them (In the Morning; Hard Believer; I Met Up With The King). First Aid Kit are two Swedish sisters - 16 and 19 years old, I believe - who sound as though they've been singing together for centuries yet are at the same time wonderfully fresh.
on 17 August 2013
The single "I Met up with a King" and "Hard Believer" are stand out tracks on this album. That's not to belittle the rest of the album which more than holds it own and is consistently good throughout. The beautiful harmonies and crafting of the melodies is deserved of four stars - the 5th star is only missing as their are a couple of tracks which seem a little off the feel of the rest of the songs.

Its a huge improvement over the debut EP which was still a great start for these girls and it sits perfectly between that and the latest Lions Roar album which is even better. still the quality of the songs here is reflected in their live performance of which many of these songs still feature.
on 21 June 2016
I first came across First Aid Kit on The Graham Norton Show about 18 months ago singing a song called Master Pretender from their latest album, Stay Gold. Now, being, as I am, an avid hater of Country Music, I was shocked to find myself actually liking this song very much, and the group even more. I immediately took the plunge and bought the album. I have to say it boasts a great collection of songs which showcase the talents of these two beautiful Swedish ladies. Where am I going with this review you might well ask - what about The Big Black and The Blue? I promise I will get there.
I decided to work my way backwards from Stay Gold. The Lions Roar was my next purchase. An absolute gem with more fantastic songs and thoughtful lyrics. The title track, The Lion's Roar and Wolf are as good as anything that is out there - more folk than mainstream pop or country. I'm not too fond of Emmylou though - just a bit too much country for my taste.
I was now totally hooked on Klara and Johanna, and the superb Melvin Duffy on the pedal steel guitar. Couldn't wait get their first album, The Big Black and The Blue. This turned out to be the icing on the proverbial cake. It is raw, probably acoustic and definitely from the heart. The clues of what was to come in the years ahead are all here. I read somewhere that this album was recorded in their bedroom with just the two girls. If true, it is remarkable. I love every song on this album but the stand out for me is Ghost Town. A truly beautiful song that I just have to listen to at least three times daily. Sad, I know, but it is that good. I think the girls' first album will always be my favourite simply because it was their first and showed so much promise and honesty. I love this group and if you really want to see just how good they are live, check out their cover of The Kinks' classic Waterloo Sunset on YouTube. You too will be hooked.
on 15 March 2010
Excellent album from the two teenage sisters from Sweden. Musically well beyond their youthful years. Superb vocalists it will draw you in and consume your soul.Deserve and hopefully will achieve the recognition their talents warrant. They are even better LIVE.......
on 12 February 2012
first heard acouple of years ago doing a tribute to fleet foxes on you tube.these girls have developed their own style of singing.refreshingly different to run of the mill pop music around.a cross between folk,country,and pop.both albums are very good.